ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: EDM Install suggestions  (Read 17567 times)

Josh Billings

EDM Install suggestions
« on: July 29, 2013, 01:05:47 AM »

So I'm working with a new venue that does a lot of EDM type acts. They currently have a Floodlight system installed with 4 TSW718s i believe. I kind of want to get them to update their setup and was looking for some ideas.

Budget "Reasonable" maybe like $10-15k?
Wide rectangle room (90x40 horns or 2 60x40s per side?)
Subs should go to 30 STRONG and be LOUD.
Sound quality is pretty important and High SPLs are a must (EAW's Gunness Focusing is a really nice setup)
Cap is ~600 so medium sized venue.
Needs to have rigging points available.
Used preferred

Would love to get your feedback

Josh

Sean Hennessey

Re: EDM Install suggestions
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 01:56:57 AM »

is that $10 to 15k PLUS what they'll fetch for their 4 tsw718s on the used market?  I ask because i suspect their 4x tsw718s already cost them about 5 to 10k... or more, depending on their condition when they were acquired.  too bad they only go down to 50 hz...

whats the amp situation (are you set or do you need to purchase some with your budget money).  are you open to acquiring used gear?  edm clubs, plus a 30 hz or lower hipass requirement and a  600 venue could get pricy.

PERSONALLY, if I wasn't open to used equipment, I would build 8 labhorns and call it a day lol.  you could likely even commission someone to build them for you and still come out under budget. 
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 02:07:06 AM by Sean Hennessey »

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 02:21:22 AM »

If the mains are adequate and you would consider just replacing the subs, you could get one Danley TH221 or TH812 + amps for that budget.  A single 812 would outrun the 4 TSW718's in both volume and low extension...on paper at least.  The same amplifier power would yield about 6dB more SPL as well.

jason misterka

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 03:23:22 AM »

If the mains are adequate and you would consider just replacing the subs, you could get one Danley TH221 or TH812 + amps for that budget.  A single 812 would outrun the 4 TSW718's in both volume and low extension...on paper at least.  The same amplifier power would yield about 6dB more SPL as well.

Corey -

Remember Turbo Floodlights are a system with their proper subs.  The HM box doesn't go very low and the subs are required to provide a "solid" 160hz and mesh with the HM box.  I don't recommend separating the system willy-nilly.

To the OP -

What is your current crossover and amplifier situation?

What about just adding a few boxes to go below the Turbo subs? 

Jason
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 09:18:13 AM by jason misterka »

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 07:56:34 AM »

Corey -

Remember Turbo Floodlights are a system with their proper subs.  The HM box doesn't go very low and the subs are required to provide a "solid" 160hz and mesh with the HM box.  I don't recommend separating the system willy-nilly.

What is your current crossover and amplifier situation?

What about just adding a few boxes to go below the Turbo subs? 

Jason
I would recommend the same thing.  With that small of a budget for that large of a space with that type of music-you would be real lucky to  something that would equal what he currently has.

Look for some subs that are SOLID to 30Hz and a REAL amp (not a cheap knockoff) to augment the current system.

With a good solid bottom end-the rest of the system can just "cruise".  But if you don't have the bottom-the rest often gets pushed in an effort to "make it loud enough".
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 08:59:55 AM »

How big is the room or area being covered?  The references to rigging points and Gunness Focusing make it sound like you are looking to replace everything but with the budget is supplementing the low end of the existing system an option?  Is the $10k-$15k budget just for gear or is that the total budget including any related cabling, install, tuning, etc.?  Is there any existing processing, amplification, etc. that should or could be used?  Is there a schedule for this or is waiting until appropriate used gear might be available an option?

Josh Billings

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 05:21:02 PM »

To clarify:

I'm pretty sure we can work with the given amplification the venue has, so really this budget is pretty much a speaker swap situation and MIGHT include a processor if we go the Gunnness Focusing route.

I really feel they need new subs that have 30hz performance

The tops won't work, and I've never been a fan of the sound of those turbosound boxes. Looking for boxes that have response down to 80 hz or so that will get into the 130db+ (long term on paper) range.

I've been looking at the Danley products and think there are some good options there, but nothing really available on the used market unfortunately (and I'm sure new would blow the budget).

Josh Billings

Bernard Fernand

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 05:25:53 PM »

What do you want your budget to be?

Bernard Fernand

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 05:26:22 PM »

What do you want your budget to be?
Josh Billing?

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2013, 05:32:32 PM »

My bad.  I did not assume they were matched in that way.  I just looked at the specs for the existing subs to get an idea about them.  I assumed the tops were full range and usable by themselves.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2013, 05:32:32 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 23 queries.