ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Mic'ing un-ported kick drum help  (Read 19350 times)

Jerome Malsack

Re: Mic'ing un-ported kick drum help
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2013, 06:34:23 PM »

Any one consider using the PG52 as a trigger and do a midi send to a kick sample?

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2013, 06:43:02 PM »

Any one consider using the PG52 as a trigger and do a midi send to a kick sample?

Why?

Really if you can't tune an instrument to get a usable tone, you might as well just plug in an iPod and go sit at a bar.
Jay Barracato

James A. Griffin

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2013, 12:02:05 AM »

Really if you can't tune an instrument to get a usable tone, you might as well just plug in an iPod and go sit at a bar.

"Tune it or don't play it... please"   -  JR
I need to determine where in this swamp of unbalanced formulas squatteth the Toad of Truth

Nikhil Mulay

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2013, 12:05:31 AM »

With the OP's permission, I'd like to add that to my lexicon of sound-person terminology.
+1!

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2013, 12:30:15 AM »

a foto of my drums. no hole in the bass drums since 1985. i dont muffle either. i use wood beaters and kick hard. i use akg d12e about 6" from center of front head and it sounds awsome. rule #1 learn to tune drums. rule #2 try different heads until you find the ones that sound good on your drums. rule #3 learn how much force to hit with. i have gotten killer bass sounds with sm57 on my bass drums. we used a 1980's cassette boom box between the drums and guitar once when writing some songs and my drums sounded killer. if the drums sound awful and the guy dont know how to play it dont matter about the mic and thats where triggers would be best. i'v ben playing drums since 1970. my name is "Mudpie" and all the girlies say i'm pretty dry of a mudpie !
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 12:31:48 AM by Jeff Harrell »

Dave Dermont

• Forum Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • From The Great Pocono Northeast
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2013, 12:23:27 PM »

What do you guys do when you encounter a drummer with an UN ported kick drum?
The drummer in my band has a small'ish(22" kick) Ludwig Accent set, he replaced the outer head with one he had made up with the band logo, but no port.
When we mic'ed the outer head it was like a muddy "bloof". So we decided to mic it by the beater and now you get a clear beater sound "pup pup" but no depth. We've tried to get him to make a port hole but he doesn't want to. I guess the look is more important than the sound??
Is there any option??
I might add he is using a cheap'ish Shure PG52 which prolly don't help,but sounded decent when he had a ported head on this kit.

If a bass drum does not have a port, I always try to mic it from the batter side, just like how you'd mic a tom-tom.

I like the idea of putting the mic close to the beater, but there is the problem of getting a mic in there among the hi-hats, floor toms, snare stands, kick pedals and drummer's legs.
Dave Dermont

Warning: Dates on calendar may be closer than they appear

John Chiara

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2013, 02:36:41 PM »

A good gate and a Transient Designer can work wonders.

Charlie Zureki

• South Eastern Michigan (near Windsor)
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2013, 05:19:58 PM »

A good gate and a Transient Designer can work wonders.

A good drummer with sense, can work wonders too. 

Hammer
Do it the right way....don't be a Dino!

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2013, 07:30:15 PM »

A good drummer with sense, can work wonders too. 

Hammer
+10

Bernard Fernand

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2013, 07:55:00 PM »

One of the most popular local bands here uses an unported bass drum, at least part of the time. The drummer is a percussion instructor at North Idaho College and Gonzaga University. He sometimes uses vintage kits with unported heads, and I've never heard his kits sound bad! There might be a bit less attack, but the drum still sounds clean and punchy. He just mics the resonant head. The band does their own sound, so I couldn't say what soundmen might think.

Another alternative would be to buy a bass drum mic and mount it internally. Just run the cable out through the vent hole (or in my case, through the unused tom mount) and you are set to go. If you are bucks up, or just handy and brave, you can have an XLR plug mounted right into the shell. Best of both worlds, in my opinion.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2013, 07:55:00 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 23 queries.