ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which Smartphone?  (Read 3362 times)

Alan Clayton

Which Smartphone?
« on: July 27, 2013, 07:52:53 AM »

Been a while since I've posted. Well, I just got a new job and my employer requires that I have a smart phone (They are providing.)  I've resisted the smart phone thing, just 'cause I was comfortable with my old flip phone and it worked fine, so why change? I can choose the phone I want. In addition to everyday smartphone features, I want this to be a tool in the audio toolbox.

I'm completely ignorant on features and functions, but I know there are some pretty cool apps for us sound guys.

So my question is, which apps do you guys find most useful out in the field, and which phone is the most useful?

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Which Smartphone?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2013, 10:33:07 AM »

Been a while since I've posted. Well, I just got a new job and my employer requires that I have a smart phone (They are providing.)  I've resisted the smart phone thing, just 'cause I was comfortable with my old flip phone and it worked fine, so why change? I can choose the phone I want. In addition to everyday smartphone features, I want this to be a tool in the audio toolbox.

I'm completely ignorant on features and functions, but I know there are some pretty cool apps for us sound guys.

So my question is, which apps do you guys find most useful out in the field, and which phone is the most useful?
Studio six makes some good apps-just be sure to get the right intereface if needed.  I know they have apps for the Iphone-not sure about others.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2013, 10:53:02 AM »

The iPhone is to the smartphone world what the Windows OS has been for so long to the computer world.  Maybe not always the best in terms of performance but it is so ubiquitous that folks develop apps for it first to get the best possible ROI.  Since the audio world is a pretty tiny market, most applicable apps are iOS apps.  There are some for android and others, but the iPhone is probably gonna be the best choice.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2013, 11:38:18 AM »

Yeah in the audio world there isn't much going for Android(or Windows Phone or Blackberry); I have a Droid X and finding audio apps is difficult. That said I love my Droid and have an iPad for any audio apps I need to use. If you don't need the audio related apps the Galaxy S4 looks like an awesome phone(if I was buying a new one this is what I would get); also in the iPhone realm they should be releasing new model(s) in another month or two so you might wait a bit if you can.

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 07:25:51 AM »

Studio six makes some good apps-just be sure to get the right intereface if needed.  I know they have apps for the Iphone-not sure about others.
http://www.studiosixdigital.com/ and http://www.faberacoustical.com/ both have some nice apps for the iPhone, but as Ivan alluded to, for any professional applications beyond some quick checks or 'ringing out' you'll probably want an appropriate interface and microphone.

In relation to installed system work I actually find myself using apps such as a calculator, AutoCAD viewer, .doc/.xls/.pdf viewer, unit converter, browser and so on much more often than any dedicated audio apps.

Joseph D. Macry

• Austin TX
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 01:24:52 PM »

The number one thing my smart phone does for me out in the field is allow me access to internet, so I can look up spec sheets or manuals for gear I am working on.
Joseph Macry,
Austin, TX

Alan Clayton

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 03:49:48 PM »

Thanks guys, As always, good stuff.   I was leaning i-phone. I think I'll go that route.

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2013, 11:53:14 PM »

If you put StudioSixDigital on your iPhone, you don't have to pay again to put it on your iPad.  (Big Brother Apple puts everything I download on either device onto the other device automatically - but not on my old 3G ;-(

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2013, 11:53:14 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 25 queries.