ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: yet another x32 question  (Read 17825 times)

Jason Lucas

• Hillsboro, OR, USA
Re: yet another x32 question
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2013, 12:01:25 PM »

Seems to be the consensus...

Among whom?

There are plenty of engineers who think analog is better, but that is by no means a consensus. There are also plenty of engineers who prefer digital, or at least think digital is equal to analog.
There are three things I hate: Harsh highs, hollow mids, and woofy bass.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2013, 12:24:59 PM »

Thanks for taking the time to respond in such a helpful, thoughtful manner, very kind of you to share your insights on the subject.

I responded to your assertion with my 35 years of professional audio observations.

Iggy Bin for you.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Stan Shields

« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2013, 12:39:54 PM »

I'll give you benefit of doubt for a moment.   Be specific     Tell us which analog boards sounds so much better than which digital board.
You will  "give me the benefit of doubt"?  wow, really? no, thanks, I'm not worthy.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2013, 12:42:55 PM »

You will  "give me the benefit of doubt"?  wow, really? no, thanks, I'm not worthy.

Obviously.  Off to the "Iggy List" for the attitude.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

James A. Griffin

« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2013, 01:07:42 PM »

I'll try one more time to explain the issue.      You made a blanket statement that digital boards do not sound as good as analog boards.

IF by that you meant that your Midas Venice sounds better than your DDX3216, you'd get some agreement and understanding.

That you haven't named an analog board that sounds better than a digital board (preferably in same price range / target market) is why you're being ignored.      You'll earn respect here by talking about what you know rather than by quoting some vague "consensus".   
I need to determine where in this swamp of unbalanced formulas squatteth the Toad of Truth

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2013, 01:28:17 PM »

Thanks for taking the time to respond in such a helpful, thoughtful manner, very kind of you to share your insights on the subject.

Tim is correct, and there's no sense beating the subject to death. However, since you need some type of proof , I'll offer my past three (3) year search for pristine sound over probably any search or listening test you may have ever done.

My steps to the digital world took me through testing and direct comparison of any number of analog and digital boards. Included were the LS9, Souncraft SI, Midas, APB, Avid, Toft, and any board that fit my need for a full featured 16 channel board that could be rack mounted on a stage. That eventually included testing and comparison of the X32.

Two years ago, and based on many tests and comparisons I opted to continue and live in an analog world with the purchase of an APB Pro House, considered by many as the best sounding 16/20 channel analog board on the planet. I have to agree with the assessment and have been more than happy with the results, flexibility of the board, and of course the pristine sound.

What I found was that the Pro House sounded better than any of the digital boards available for under $10,000 except maybe the Soundcraft SI series. In some cases the difference was very apparent, in other cases not so much, but noticeable.

Move ahead and the X32 is released. did it sound good? Yes. did it sound as good or better than a Pro House? No. Now move ahead a little further. Any number of entry level boards are released or are being released to compete with the low cost of the X32. Out of curiosity I start to compare again, still wondering if there is a decent 16 channel digital board that fits my needs, specifically the need for pristine sound equal to or better than an APB, which by the way, costs almost as much as an X32. What I found that fit my needs perfectly was the Soundcraft SI Expression 1. The sound quality is equal to or maybe even better than the APB, the technology is proven, the components are the same as used in Soundcrafts more expensive boards, the design is from Studer/Soundcraft, and it is for all intents and purposes the same board that sold for upwards of $6-10K less than a year ago.

My rational at this point was simple. At age 62 I won't be running cable much longer. My initial thought was to purchase a Midas Pro 1, but couldn't justify the money for what may be another 3 years of use. As stated the Soundcraft fills the bill with what is now a rock solid platform with options available from both Soundcraft and Studer that include rock solid and proven stage boxes allowing up to 66 channels input.

So now that I've said more than I wanted to Stan, I'll back Tim's 35 years with my 45. There are vast differences in console sound if you know how to find it, but finding it at the level you're talking about, entry level, won't happen, with Soundcraft being a pleasant exception. The names Toft, Studer, Avid, Digico, Yamaha, Soundcraft, etc. all offer boards whose sonic capabilities is beyond question. All of these companies may have a sonic signature, Midas and Toft come to mind, but the sound is beyond reproach, and far from entry level. for every engineer, for every studio or live sound venue, for every tour large or small, the needs will dictate which board type is most applicable be it a $2K board, or a $200K board. 

This is what I believe Tim is stating in a much more simplistic manner.

Is there a consensus? No there is not. Point proven.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2013, 01:59:42 PM »

Is there a consensus? No there is not. Point proven.
Going one step further, I will simultaneously agree and disagree with you: that there is a growing consensus, but the consensus is that any digital board 2 years old or newer sounds better than any even remotely comparable analog board.  With digital, there's simply no economical reason to make it sound lousy.  This encompasses both sound path quality, and improved sound quality due to the larger built-in tool set - more and better EQ, dynamics, etc.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2013, 02:10:18 PM »

There will be a time Tom when any conversation pertaining to this subject will be moot. But, at entry level, there can still be vast differences that can be heard. Now I don't have a golden ear, but I can hear an LS9 before I see it.

You are, as usual, 100% correct, and what else could I say after recently proving the point to myself.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2013, 02:57:33 PM »

There will be a time Tom when any conversation pertaining to this subject will be moot. But, at entry level, there can still be vast differences that can be heard. Now I don't have a golden ear, but I can hear an LS9 before I see it.

You are, as usual, 100% correct, and what else could I say after recently proving the point to myself.
I should have said "designed 2 years ago or newer" - I was intending to mean the recent crop of products - the Soundcraft SI series, A&H Qu/GLD, X32, and the like, specifically excluding the LS9/01V/M7 older stuff.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2013, 03:13:02 PM »

I understood Tom. I really wanted to like the LS9 a couple of years ago, and now I'm wondering what the big "Y" will replace it with. The 0xV series boards are long in the tooth and still not a real live sound board. Maybe "Y" is getting ready for new entry level boards. We'll see, but it's a whole new world we live in now, and I still miss my Altec columns.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2013, 03:13:02 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 25 queries.