ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Is the X32 gonna become "acceptable" at the lounge level?  (Read 43921 times)

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
Re: Is the X32 gonna become "acceptable" at the lounge level?
« Reply #80 on: August 17, 2013, 12:54:54 PM »

A lot of BEs like to label channels strips with names of various band members as well as other more detailed descriptions of inputs. In that respect, the scribble strip entry using the desk only is very inefficient. That's mainly what I'm alluding to. With a keyboard, it takes a few seconds. Without, it takes much, much longer. Sure, if you're using just preset names it's not terrible. But I for one guess I've gotten spoiled by the Venue. It's really "nice" to have keyboard entry and mouse control. Sure, I'm being anal and nitpicky. I feel if you're going to try and eliminate board tape, the method of replacement should be nearly as fast to implement, not less so.

Same with EQ. It's my one remaining gripe with digital consoles - some things that were fast and easy to do with analog desks and outboard gear are slower on digital desks. Not having access to most or all of the graphic EQ bands at once is pain. It's a step back from the days of "reach for the DN360". I realize that there are inherent compromises. But It seems they should have chosen to use the 16 channel faders for the graphic control instead. I prefer having the entire EQ up on the X32 Edit app instead.

I predict that in the future there will be an evolution to separate the control surface from the processing hardware. You could then use whatever interface you are willing to pay for (collectively, since control surfaces need market support you need other like minded customers). I suspect in the future we (old guys like me) will not even recognize the popular interfaces (I'm squeezing your head).  8)

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Scott Bolt

« Reply #81 on: August 17, 2013, 01:54:07 PM »

I predict that in the future there will be an evolution to separate the control surface from the processing hardware. You could then use whatever interface you are willing to pay for (collectively, since control surfaces need market support you need other like minded customers). I suspect in the future we (old guys like me) will not even recognize the popular interfaces (I'm squeezing your head).  8)

JR
I agree.  All the processing will be in the "mixer" and the control interface(s) will be what ever you most like from a variety of vendors.

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #82 on: August 17, 2013, 02:08:37 PM »

I predict that in the future there will be an evolution to separate the control surface from the processing hardware. ...

I agree.  The studio world has been migrating in this direction for a decade.  Some of the control surfaces are quite sophisticated, and expensive. Some are simple, and cheap.  Both can control the same hardware (actually software).
Mark McFarlane

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #83 on: August 17, 2013, 08:17:54 PM »

A lot of BEs like to label channels strips with names of various band members as well as other more detailed descriptions of inputs. In that respect, the scribble strip entry using the desk only is very inefficient. That's mainly what I'm alluding to. With a keyboard, it takes a few seconds. Without, it takes much, much longer. Sure, if you're using just preset names it's not terrible. But I for one guess I've gotten spoiled by the Venue. It's really "nice" to have keyboard entry and mouse control. Sure, I'm being anal and nitpicky. I feel if you're going to try and eliminate board tape, the method of replacement should be nearly as fast to implement, not less so.

Same with EQ. It's my one remaining gripe with digital consoles - some things that were fast and easy to do with analog desks and outboard gear are slower on digital desks. Not having access to most or all of the graphic EQ bands at once is pain. It's a step back from the days of "reach for the DN360". I realize that there are inherent compromises. But It seems they should have chosen to use the 16 channel faders for the graphic control instead. I prefer having the entire EQ up on the X32 Edit app instead.
Greg,

These were two of the reasons I chose the Expression. Scribble strips are not a deal breaker for me, and the Expression allows direct access to the GEQ with the single push of a button, or two actually. The upper and lower halves of the EQ are each assigned 14 faders automatically. The fader strips for the EQ then glow red and the EQ itself shows in the color display as you adjust it. Almost all of the functions for the Expression work in a similar manner.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Brian Wynn

« Reply #84 on: August 19, 2013, 02:52:24 AM »

Greg,

These were two of the reasons I chose the Expression. Scribble strips are not a deal breaker for me, and the Expression allows direct access to the GEQ with the single push of a button, or two actually. The upper and lower halves of the EQ are each assigned 14 faders automatically. The fader strips for the EQ then glow red and the EQ itself shows in the color display as you adjust it. Almost all of the functions for the Expression work in a similar manner.
UDK assign on the X32 and it's a one button push to the EQ.  It also comes up on the faders, hell the scribble strips even give you the freq of the band your on.  Granted you can only see 8 bands at once on the faders.  But its a easy knob turn to change selection.  I never understood why Soundcraft only put 30 input faders on the 32 channel expression????  WTF

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #85 on: August 19, 2013, 01:29:43 PM »

I like my Si Compact... But its obviously because they have 8 channel fader banks coming out of the factory!

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #86 on: August 19, 2013, 02:34:08 PM »

UDK assign on the X32 and it's a one button push to the EQ.  It also comes up on the faders, hell the scribble strips even give you the freq of the band your on.  Granted you can only see 8 bands at once on the faders.  But its a easy knob turn to change selection.  I never understood why Soundcraft only put 30 input faders on the 32 channel expression? ???  WTF

The proprietary Studer designed DSP addresses in blocks of 14, or so I was told. Having four (4) easy to access single button fully assignable layers with fader glow turns this into a non issue and moot subject very quickly. But I know where you're coming from. The weird channel counts on other boards, A&H for example, used to drive me crazy. Not the same thing when working with expandable digital layers. :D 
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
« Reply #87 on: August 19, 2013, 02:39:12 PM »

I never understood why Soundcraft only put 30 input faders on the 32 channel expression????  WTF

Not to mention why the 32 channel Expression will control only 14 band of GEQ at a time when it should be able to do all 28 (or even 30, if the GEQ went that far). I know it let's one size of firmware fit all, but it's barking mad, and a real missed opportunity, in my view!

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #88 on: August 19, 2013, 03:07:45 PM »

I agree generally, but still find it a little annoying. I can do 48 inputs on 12 faders no problem, but have only two inputs on the second layer is a bit silly. Obviously not silly enough to prevent me from buying it, though.

The DSP explanation doesn't really make sense to me, all their other desks have blocks of 8 faders plus singles for masters. What makes this different? Perhaps there is another explanation, but the 8 faders from factory explanation makes the most sense to me.

Sometimes when I use all 24 inputs, I assign FX and BG music to layers A and B on slots 18-24, so that they stay the same when paging and an entire block of 8 preamps go the layer B. it's actually easier with more inputs on the second page, it's the 'only 2' that is weird. One ends up being talkback, then the other is super lonely.

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #89 on: August 19, 2013, 03:19:22 PM »

Not to mention why the 32 channel Expression will control only 14 band of GEQ at a time when it should be able to do all 28 (or even 30, if the GEQ went that far). I know it let's one size of firmware fit all, but it's barking mad, and a real missed opportunity, in my view!

Actually, that doesn't bother me a bit for whatever reason.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #89 on: August 19, 2013, 03:19:22 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 25 queries.