ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Is the X32 gonna become "acceptable" at the lounge level?  (Read 43933 times)

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
Re: Is the X32 gonna become "acceptable" at the lounge level?
« Reply #70 on: August 07, 2013, 03:02:41 PM »

Greg,
Quick point. On the Soundcraft boards the graphic EQ is a BSS. Selecting the channel, mix, aux, or output and then pressing the hi or low EQ button jumps you to layer 3 and the high or low half of the EQ for that output. You now have 14 faders and a graphic display of the EQ for each half (upper/lower) section of the EQ. This happens in a second, is very easy to use, and the EQ is as good as it get's. Of course the faders will return to your settings when the particular EQ is chosen, and the EQ can be pulled in or out and made flat by pressing a single button.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

George Dougherty

« Reply #71 on: August 08, 2013, 10:02:04 PM »

With respect Greg, I feel like the PITA factor here is being exaggerated. Regarding scribble strips, yes in a festival situation it could be a little slower, but again, if I'm comparing to something like labelling channels on a PM5D then I think it's still faster and you have more characters available. But yes, slower than perhaps a Venue series desk. However, it does NOT take a full minute + to label one scribble strip, especially since there's a healthy collection of pre written labels for most standard band inputs, that require only a quick scroll and a button push.

As cheap as it is, I don't think it's unreasonable to consider an ipad a must have accessory for the desk.  On the ipad, channel labelling is type and press enter which advances to the next channel.  I'd love to see the x32 edit app do the same, but I prefer the mobility of the ipad anyway.

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #72 on: August 09, 2013, 02:06:31 AM »

As cheap as it is, I don't think it's unreasonable to consider an ipad a must have accessory for the desk.  On the ipad, channel labelling is type and press enter which advances to the next channel.  I'd love to see the x32 edit app do the same, but I prefer the mobility of the ipad anyway.

I saw a post over in SF where a guy had a pair of iPads mounted on some kind of stands with an x32. Looked like a nice setup; I think it's over near the end of the (in)famous x32 thread.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Stuart Miller

« Reply #73 on: August 09, 2013, 04:25:17 AM »

What do you guys think about the X32 as far as club land acceptability goes? Would it be worth it to step up to the Soundcraft Expression? They are not too far apart in price, unless you are going for the digi snake. THen the price difference is much greater.

A few short years ago we saw the GL2400 in this role. Nobody really liked it, but everybody would accept it and do the gig. Is the X32 gonna fill that spot?

Two weeks ago I saw the David Bromberg band in concert (Hanover, PA). The X32 was the FOH console (not sure about monitors). Even though I still distrust Behringer (from a quality standpoint) I have to admit the sound quality from the X32 was very good (to my ears); except for a shrill high frequency associated with the fiddle player (though that could have been a setting issue on the console rather than a sound quality issue, I couldn't tell).

First time I'd seen the X32 console up close and was surprised how large it was. For some reason I imagined it to be smaller physically.

I'm considering upgrading my (APB House) console to a digital console but am gun-shy to choose the X32 (even though many people seem to be having good luck with it).

Stu

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #74 on: August 09, 2013, 12:05:53 PM »

Goin digital from APB? Deja vu - Bob L recently made that very transition. Might be interesting for you to talk to him!

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #75 on: August 10, 2013, 05:30:08 AM »

Stuart,
Send me a PM with questions regarding a comparison of the Pro House, X32, Expression, LS9, etc.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Adam Cooke

« Reply #76 on: August 16, 2013, 11:02:08 PM »

Yes, you're technically correct since I did use the word dynamics.

It does, however, have the ability to send a channel to an AUX pre-compressor and pre-EQ, which for me is just as good most of the time. Even Midas consoles can't do that, to my knowledge.

The Presonus mixers also can select between aux send pickoffs that are pre or post compressor/EQ. They're both post exp/gate, however... so neither is entirely pre-dynamics.

Brian Wynn

« Reply #77 on: August 17, 2013, 03:07:28 AM »

I love the X32 it sounds far far better than a LS9.  I have used mine for Monitors on Blue Oyster Cult, Gin Blossoms, and Keith Anderson in the last couple of weeks with no complaints. Also had a guy comment tonight about how excellent is IEM's sounded though it.

Greg_Cameron

• Cameron Pro Audio
« Reply #78 on: August 17, 2013, 12:04:23 PM »

With respect Greg, I feel like the PITA factor here is being exaggerated. Regarding scribble strips, yes in a festival situation it could be a little slower, but again, if I'm comparing to something like labelling channels on a PM5D then I think it's still faster and you have more characters available. But yes, slower than perhaps a Venue series desk. However, it does NOT take a full minute + to label one scribble strip, especially since there's a healthy collection of pre written labels for most standard band inputs, that require only a quick scroll and a button push.

A lot of BEs like to label channels strips with names of various band members as well as other more detailed descriptions of inputs. In that respect, the scribble strip entry using the desk only is very inefficient. That's mainly what I'm alluding to. With a keyboard, it takes a few seconds. Without, it takes much, much longer. Sure, if you're using just preset names it's not terrible. But I for one guess I've gotten spoiled by the Venue. It's really "nice" to have keyboard entry and mouse control. Sure, I'm being anal and nitpicky. I feel if you're going to try and eliminate board tape, the method of replacement should be nearly as fast to implement, not less so.

Same with EQ. It's my one remaining gripe with digital consoles - some things that were fast and easy to do with analog desks and outboard gear are slower on digital desks. Not having access to most or all of the graphic EQ bands at once is pain. It's a step back from the days of "reach for the DN360". I realize that there are inherent compromises. But It seems they should have chosen to use the 16 channel faders for the graphic control instead. I prefer having the entire EQ up on the X32 Edit app instead.
"Procrastinators of the world - contemplate uniting!"

Cameron Pro Audio

Scott Bolt

« Reply #79 on: August 17, 2013, 12:47:38 PM »

A lot of BEs like to label channels strips with names of various band members as well as other more detailed descriptions of inputs. In that respect, the scribble strip entry using the desk only is very inefficient. That's mainly what I'm alluding to. With a keyboard, it takes a few seconds. Without, it takes much, much longer. Sure, if you're using just preset names it's not terrible. But I for one guess I've gotten spoiled by the Venue. It's really "nice" to have keyboard entry and mouse control. Sure, I'm being anal and nitpicky. I feel if you're going to try and eliminate board tape, the method of replacement should be nearly as fast to implement, not less so.

Same with EQ. It's my one remaining gripe with digital consoles - some things that were fast and easy to do with analog desks and outboard gear are slower on digital desks. Not having access to most or all of the graphic EQ bands at once is pain. It's a step back from the days of "reach for the DN360". I realize that there are inherent compromises. But It seems they should have chosen to use the 16 channel faders for the graphic control instead. I prefer having the entire EQ up on the X32 Edit app instead.
I believe that mixing with the aid of a PC or tablet is going to become much more the norm in the future.  As you point out, using the X32 Edit program, creating scribble strip labels is actually pretty quick and painless.  I also like having the names of people on the strips vs. a generic label.

Having dedicated encoders for each channel and each parameter (like an analog board) would likely always be easier to understand and navigate; however, you quickly run out of real estate. 

I think that the X32 in specific handles the graphic eq poorly.  The new Qu-16 can put 16 frequencies at a time on the faders which is pretty nice. 

Still, I think it is possible that in the future, both the PC and tablet interface is going to allow much more flexibility with controls and meters.  The problem of making the most of the work flow is still being ironed out IMHO.  Digital mixer makers are struggling with how to provide all that flexibility without making the mixer very difficult to use.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #79 on: August 17, 2013, 12:47:38 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 24 queries.