ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Is the X32 gonna become "acceptable" at the lounge level?  (Read 43934 times)

Greg_Cameron

• Cameron Pro Audio
Re: Is the X32 gonna become "acceptable" at the lounge level?
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2013, 11:16:18 AM »

The problems I have with the box are simply this. Too many features jammed into the box that are not well organized which leads to a long learning curve, unreliable stage box, low quality sound, low quality faders, only one service center in the USA, the name.

While I have the same skepticism about Behringer products as anyone, I have to say I didn't have any issue with the sound quality of the desk or the faders. Can't speak to the stage boxes (didn't use them), but I do agree the programming is not very slick and you really need a computer or 2 connected to get efficient use of things you need quick access to like graphic EQs and scribble strip text entry.
"Procrastinators of the world - contemplate uniting!"

Cameron Pro Audio

Jason Lucas

• Hillsboro, OR, USA
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2013, 11:51:08 AM »

As well as VCAs and scribble strips, which is a big deal.

I've never used real sidechains live before, who uses that? The sidechain HPF/LPF is totally sufficient on the Si.

I was just a a club with an X32 install. They are going to be accepted more than the Presonus as a a lounge level product I think for sure.

I use sidechains all the time. Albeit a lot more in the studio.
There are three things I hate: Harsh highs, hollow mids, and woofy bass.

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2013, 11:54:51 AM »

I use sidechains all the time. Albeit a lot more in the studio.

The studio is, of course, a whole different thing. Have you ever used a sidechain filter live, BESIDES a sidechainHPF/LPF? I have not. Digico also has the same HPF/LPF sidechain on their gates.

Jason Lucas

• Hillsboro, OR, USA
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2013, 12:03:52 PM »

The studio is, of course, a whole different thing. Have you ever used a sidechain filter live, BESIDES a sidechainHPF/LPF?

Yes. I send the snare drum to the side chain on the compressor of the overheads.

And sometimes I'll put the lead vocalist into the side chain of the compressor on one of the backing vocalists, since our lead vocalist drops out a lot (he plays guitar and sometimes he'll stop singing and just play), so I can leave the backing vocal up and just have her compressed when the lead is singing. Forms a sort of "auto-mix" situation.

If the bus compressors have side chain inputs you can put the vocal in there on a delay, and  set the attack and release so that the delay will be compressed until the last syllable where the compressor backs off and the delay comes way up.

Stuff like that. It's definitely not a necessary feature, but I use it when I have it.

I know I nit-pick a lot about the digital boards out there and I think I probably come off as one of those guys that can't mix unless he has all the bells and whistles but I've mixed this same band on a Soundcraft M8 with a cheap little alesis multi effects unit and no compressors and it sounded just fine. I'd prefer not to have to do that very often but I can "make it work".
There are three things I hate: Harsh highs, hollow mids, and woofy bass.

Rufus G. Crowder

« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2013, 12:23:14 PM »

While I have the same skepticism about Behringer products as anyone, I have to say I didn't have any issue with the sound quality of the desk or the faders. Can't speak to the stage boxes (didn't use them), but I do agree the programming is not very slick and you really need a computer or 2 connected to get efficient use of things you need quick access to like graphic EQs and scribble strip text entry.
I found that that the Behringer X32 is the best value for the money right now.  The feature set alone made my rig 100% better.  The learning curve was a challenge at first but now it is very easy to get around to use most of the features.  I don't understand why you need to hook up additional computers to get to graphic EQ's (press the Effects Button) or scribble strip text entry.  It is very easy!  The stage boxes work wonderfully too!  I liked the board so much, I recently installed one at my church and received immediate compliments on the sound.  The size of the Board is perfect in my opinion (only two elbow lengths).  The availability to remotely control it from an iPad or laptop a huge plus!  All of my band members and worship team members use their iPhones to control their monitor mixes. You can leave it on stage if you have to!  I used to use a Yamaha 01V96.  I would really like to hear of a better deal and solution than what Uli has put out here thus far.  It was a Game Changer for me for sure!  Unreliable sound???  Steep learning curve???  Unreliable stage box???  Sorry, Bob my experiences with the X32 are much different than yours.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2013, 12:24:23 PM »

Yes, all the time. There is a pub chain in Houston, Baker Street, they have bands all the time but were not designed for bands. Space is ridiculously limited. Stages are tiny and space for mixworld nonexistent. I usually mix dodging pool cues or with people leaning on me. None of the clubs I work have room for a mixer wider than a rack space.

Sorry David, but this is hardly relevant to what I'm asking.

I've worked in a couple of Baker St pubs, and you are right on all accounts. I however am concerned with places that have a different level of acts coming through. A place like the Mucky Duck comes to mind. They have around 100 seats, maybe 150 when standing room only is sold. They use a 24 channel GL2200 with a big rack on top that you can't see around. In this instance the x32 would considerably lessen the "bulk" of FOH.

Baker St, as far as I know does cover or "party" bands only, right?

Samuel said something that struck home. They are already accepted more readily than the SL24, and I see those all the time on the road. (I tour with one of those bands we are talking about, BTW) so why wouldn't the x32 be accepted? I think it's just down to brand snobbery at this point.

Hmmm.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

David Parker

« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2013, 12:29:25 PM »

Sorry David, but this is hardly relevant to what I'm asking.

I've worked in a couple of Baker St pubs, and you are right on all accounts. I however am concerned with places that have a different level of acts coming through. A place like the Mucky Duck comes to mind. They have around 100 seats, maybe 150 when standing room only is sold. They use a 24 channel GL2200 with a big rack on top that you can't see around. In this instance the x32 would considerably lessen the "bulk" of FOH.

Baker St, as far as I know does cover or "party" bands only, right?

Samuel said something that struck home. They are already accepted more readily than the SL24, and I see those all the time on the road. (I tour with one of those bands we are talking about, BTW) so why wouldn't the x32 be accepted? I think it's just down to brand snobbery at this point.

Hmmm.

as I said, "where I live". Yes, cover bands, that's where I live. I make less money per job than I used to, but it's easier and I work more often. Compact is extremely important in my world, and a mixer the size of the X32 would cause me problems. When they come out with the rack width version of it, that would be different, but by the time I need to replace my LS9, I'll be retired from the sound business. By that time I suspect we wont be using mixers as such anymore, there will be a rack on stage and an ipad, which is pretty much available now.

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2013, 01:38:01 PM »

If the bus compressors have side chain inputs you can put the vocal in there on a delay, and  set the attack and release so that the delay will be compressed until the last syllable where the compressor backs off and the delay comes way up.
That's a nice trick; I have to keep my hand on the aux knob(analog) feeding my delay to get that effect(not to mention having the delay properly tap sync'd with the music). I always wondered how people got that effect to be consistent; I'll have to play with it in my DAW sometime.

Greg_Cameron

• Cameron Pro Audio
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2013, 02:20:06 PM »

I don't understand why you need to hook up additional computers to get to graphic EQ's (press the Effects Button) or scribble strip text entry.  It is very easy!

Compared to using a real graphic EQ or a virtual one on higher end digital desks, it's actually not so great as you can only access 6 bands at a time on the surface using a rotary encoder to select which group of 6, or use all rotary encoders to make changes. It's actually very cumbersome. And the scribble strip programming on the fly in a festival style situation is actually terrible. With a computer connected to the board, EQ changes are much faster than with the surface because you can access the entire graphic with the mouse instantly instead of futzing with encoders and selecting groups of bands. And with the computer, scribble strip entry takes a couple of seconds per channel instead of a minute+. It may not seem like big deal if you never change your board setup. But if you're doing a bunch of bands and don't have time to pre-program everything, it's pretty big pain. For that reason, one local owner of an X32 has gone back to using board tape and Sharpie® to label channels. It shouldn't be that way. My feature request posted in another thread on SFN is ability to connect a keyboard and mouse. It would make things a lot easier than the menu navigation sans connected computer. It probably won't happen though. I realize the board is inexpensive and their will be compromises. One of those compromises in my experience is that you really need a $500+ computer or tablet connected to it in order to gain basic efficiency you would get with analog gear.
"Procrastinators of the world - contemplate uniting!"

Cameron Pro Audio

James A. Griffin

« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2013, 02:25:23 PM »

If you've ever done gigs in small places with a PM4000 and a 24 space rack, you might not think the X32 is all that big.

Do you really work in venues where a mixer less than two racks wide is a space issue?

Hmmmm... seems like a case where you could put the mixer backstage and mix on the dreaded $%&#) iPad.   
I need to determine where in this swamp of unbalanced formulas squatteth the Toad of Truth

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2013, 02:25:23 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 23 queries.