ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Is the X32 gonna become "acceptable" at the lounge level?  (Read 44290 times)

Dave Dermont

• Forum Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • From The Great Pocono Northeast
Re: Is the X32 gonna become "acceptable" at the lounge level?
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2013, 08:57:52 AM »

the problem with the X32 in the 200 seat clubs is it's physical size.

If you've ever done gigs in small places with a PM4000 and a 24 space rack, you might not think the X32 is all that big.

Do you really work in venues where a mixer less than two racks wide is a space issue?
Dave Dermont

Warning: Dates on calendar may be closer than they appear

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2013, 09:08:02 AM »

If you've ever done gigs in small places with a PM4000 and a 24 space rack, you might not think the X32 is all that big.

Do you really work in venues where a mixer less than two racks wide is a space issue?

Actually yes, I can think of a number of listening rooms scattered around the east coast where that is the equivalent of a 6 top table which is 10% of the paid seats.
Jay Barracato

Spenser Hamilton

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2013, 10:21:33 AM »

There is one feature that Soundcraft has that Behringer doesn't have. Great sound.

It's too bad the Expression wasn't around for the listening test that was done. I personally have no issues with sound quality, whether I'm using the X32 or our Soundcraft analog boards.
Technical Director - Chatham Capitol Theatre/Kiwanis Theatre

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2013, 10:23:11 AM »

If the venue is that small why would you need or bring a 32 channel board in the first place? Just asking, never worked in a venue that small.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2013, 10:26:20 AM »

It's too bad the Expression wasn't around for the listening test that was done. I personally have no issues with sound quality, whether I'm using the X32 or our Soundcraft analog boards.

I think you would be shocked at the sound quality. I know I was, and the comparison was made between an LS9, X32, and my APB Pro House. Only the APB was close or an equal to the Expression, and now I find out that Soundcraft is using the same chip set that's being used in the Studer consoles in the Expression.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

David Parker

« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2013, 10:42:18 AM »

Yes, all the time. There is a pub chain in Houston, Baker Street, they have bands all the time but were not designed for bands. Space is ridiculously limited. Stages are tiny and space for mixworld nonexistent. I usually mix dodging pool cues or with people leaning on me. None of the clubs I work have room for a mixer wider than a rack space.

Spenser Hamilton

« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2013, 10:45:09 AM »

I think you would be shocked at the sound quality. I know I was, and the comparison was made between an LS9, X32, and my APB Pro House. Only the APB was close or an equal to the Expression, and now I find out that Soundcraft is using the same chip set that's being used in the Studer consoles in the Expression.

I'd like to hear the Expression and X32 next to each other, gotta remember to keep bugging the SC rep for a demo.

The Expression doesn't have scribble strips right? I was seriously GASing for an E1 until I saw that, how easy is it to navigate with that omission?
Technical Director - Chatham Capitol Theatre/Kiwanis Theatre

David Parker

« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2013, 10:45:40 AM »

If the venue is that small why would you need or bring a 32 channel board in the first place? Just asking, never worked in a venue that small.
none of the bands I work fit on 16 channels. Complete drum micing is required by the bands, which eats up 8 channels, 5 singers, 3 keys, bass, electric guitar, two track mp3 for break music, pretty common setup for the Houston club scene

Jason Lucas

• Hillsboro, OR, USA
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2013, 10:59:40 AM »

That's a good listing of the Soundcraft Expressions features with the exception of the EQ, which is the same 4 channel parametric/shelving EQ Soundcraft has been famous for since their first board in the 70's. There is one feature that Soundcraft has that Behringer doesn't have. Great sound.

Actually the Soundcraft Expression is lacking not only the fully parametric 4 band, but also side chain inputs on the compressors (and key filters), and as I've mentioned before, you can't set the "tap off" point for AUX buses to be pre-dynamics. So of all the features I've mentioned it only has two.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 11:04:14 AM by Jason Lucas »
There are three things I hate: Harsh highs, hollow mids, and woofy bass.

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2013, 11:16:08 AM »

Actually the Soundcraft Expression is lacking not only the fully parametric 4 band, but also side chain inputs on the compressors (and key filters), and as I've mentioned before, you can't set the "tap off" point for AUX buses to be pre-dynamics. So of all the features I've mentioned it only has two.

As well as VCAs and scribble strips, which is a big deal.

I've never used real sidechains live before, who uses that? The sidechain HPF/LPF is totally sufficient on the Si.

I was just a a club with an X32 install. They are going to be accepted more than the Presonus as a a lounge level product I think for sure. 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2013, 11:16:08 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 25 queries.