ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Is the X32 gonna become "acceptable" at the lounge level?  (Read 43926 times)

Evan Hunter

Re: Is the X32 gonna become "acceptable" at the lounge level?
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2013, 11:32:39 PM »

the problem with the X32 in the 200 seat clubs is it's physical size.

Really? The footprint of my Mackie Onyx 1640 and 8U FOH rack is larger than an X32 with a dog house... If I go with an X32 in the future its likely all of my smaller analog boards will be sold off and it will be the smallest board I keep in inventory.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 11:34:51 PM by Evan Hunter »
Evan F. Hunter
Cleveland Ohio, Houston Texas
EFHunter4419 (at) G Mail. Com
https://www.facebook.com/FosterSound
EV QRX, JBL SRX, Turbosound Milan, Soundcraft Expression, Soundcraft Vi1

David Parker

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2013, 11:39:53 PM »

Really? The footprint of my Mackie Onyx 1640 and 8U FOH rack is larger than an X32 with a dog house... If I go with an X32 in the future its likely all of my smaller analog boards will be sold off and it will be the smallest board I keep in inventory.
the X32 is twice as wide as my LS9-16, and with two expanders underneath, I'm still at rack width and 32 channels

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2013, 11:51:06 PM »

???
My Mackie Onyx's rack case might be a little deeper than a x32 but the x32 is much wider. Note that my rotopod is under the mixer so it will fit in my case(SKB mini GigRig).

I'm really interested on the x32 compact as a replacement for the Mackie, idk if/when I'll be able to afford it but they look really nice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

David Parker

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2013, 11:53:28 PM »

???
My Mackie Onyx's rack case might be a little deeper than a x32 but the x32 is much wider. Note that my rotopod is under the mixer so it will fit in my case(SKB mini GigRig).

I'm really interested on the x32 compact as a replacement for the Mackie, idk if/when I'll be able to afford it but they look really nice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
in my world I can stand the depth a lot more than i can the width

Evan Hunter

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2013, 12:02:38 AM »

in my world I can stand the depth a lot more than i can the width

I suppose this is true, most analog boards people bring are vertical. I didnt measure but the past weekend the band had an LS9 on the ears and we had an X32 out front... didnt seem much wider.

I do actually see the X32 taking a lot of gigs in this level though. It was a decent learning curve for me but its price point to features is hard to beat I suppose.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 12:04:17 AM by Evan Hunter »
Evan F. Hunter
Cleveland Ohio, Houston Texas
EFHunter4419 (at) G Mail. Com
https://www.facebook.com/FosterSound
EV QRX, JBL SRX, Turbosound Milan, Soundcraft Expression, Soundcraft Vi1

George Dougherty

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2013, 12:06:14 AM »

Ding ding ding.... Give the man a cigar!

I'm referring to band-in-a-van touring acts that are playing anywhere from 200 person clubs to being 2nd act playing at 3 in the afternoon on a big summer festival. Most of these guys have some kind of engineer.

I travel with a better one of those bands.  We play at a lot of regional festivals, county/state fairs, city celebrations. With a bit of trepidation we picked one up this year and are now touring with it. Build quality is improved over the first few generations and the board has been 100% stable for us.

The latest ipad app released today gives control over 100% of the board features likely because of the need for the rack and core version. I've got the remote apps for a number of the major desks and the x32 is one of the best out there.

As for small clubs, the x32 compact is a decent size, ,assuming you don't need a bigger channel count, or can get the stage boxes to work reliably.

To my ears it doesn't sound bad at all and I get lots of compliments on the sound of the band.  That's pretty typical for me though whatever I use and it doesnt hurt that the band puts on a great show, which makes people more ammenable to any shortcomings in a mix. I would say it tends towards a brighter sound out of the box. I'd really like to hear one with a Midas DL251 as the front end.

I've had a number of smaller production companies mention they own one as well as I'm advancing the show and everyone seems to really enjoy theirs. If this one holds up problem free for the season, I'll probably be picking up one for myself, maybe a compact so I can fit it in my sedan rather than dragging the truck out.

Jason Lucas

• Hillsboro, OR, USA
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2013, 12:45:37 AM »

There are a number of features I use whenever I have access to them (usually only in the studio) that a lot of lower priced digital mixers don't have, such as:

• 4 band fully parametric EQ
  • Side-chain input on compressors and gates/expanders (with high and low pass filters)
  • Compressors on buses (admittedly, most digital mixers do actually have this)
  • Ability to route input channels to AUX buses, pre-processing (or at least post HPF, pre-dynamics, pre-EQ)
  • Ability to route channel direct outputs, pre-processing (or at least post HPF, pre-dynamics, pre-EQ)
  • Ability to set an insert point pre or post EQ

The only digital mixer out there that has all of these features under $5k is the X32.
There are three things I hate: Harsh highs, hollow mids, and woofy bass.

Nicolas Poisson

• Paris, France
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2013, 03:47:55 AM »

Isn't the lounge level defined by "bands that will accept any device as long as it works properly" anyway ? So the X32 will be accepted.

Whether it will take over the market or it will remain only one small contender is another question. As said above, Uli has to cope with competitors with greater experience, better renown, better service, near same price (or "not that more expensive" ).

Robert Piascik

• Westerville, OH (near Columbus)
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2013, 05:59:12 AM »

My experience has been most of my acts are completely unaware of the turnaround Behringer is trying to make. I have to point out the purchase of Midas, Klark-Technic and Turbosound when singing the praises (while glancing around) of my X32. Most are just amazed by the iPad control and features. I'm sure this will become more commonplace as time goes on but right now I'm looked at as ahead of the curve.
Pi Entertainment Services
Midas M32R / MR18
Behringer X32R
Danley SH50 / SM80 / TH118 / TH115
Fulcrum Acoustic fa22ac
RCF NX 12SMA
Yamaha DSR112 / DZR10
Powersoft X4 / M50Q
Crown iT8k

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2013, 07:43:24 AM »

There are a number of features I use whenever I have access to them (usually only in the studio) that a lot of lower priced digital mixers don't have, such as:

• 4 band fully parametric EQ
  • Side-chain input on compressors and gates/expanders (with high and low pass filters)
  • Compressors on buses (admittedly, most digital mixers do actually have this)
  • Ability to route input channels to AUX buses, pre-processing (or at least post HPF, pre-dynamics, pre-EQ)
  • Ability to route channel direct outputs, pre-processing (or at least post HPF, pre-dynamics, pre-EQ)
  • Ability to set an insert point pre or post EQ
The only digital mixer out there that has all of these features under $5k is the X32.

That's a good listing of the Soundcraft Expressions features with the exception of the EQ, which is the same 4 channel parametric/shelving EQ Soundcraft has been famous for since their first board in the 70's. There is one feature that Soundcraft has that Behringer doesn't have. Great sound.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2013, 07:43:24 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 25 queries.