ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Is the X32 gonna become "acceptable" at the lounge level?  (Read 43952 times)

Spenser Hamilton

Re: Is the X32 gonna become "acceptable" at the lounge level?
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2013, 02:28:07 PM »

Compared to using a real graphic EQ or a virtual one on higher end digital desks, it's actually not so great as you can only access 6 bands at a time on the surface using a rotary encoder to select which group of 6, or use all rotary encoders to make changes. It's actually very cumbersome. And the scribble strip programming on the fly in a festival style situation is actually terrible. With a computer connected to the board, EQ changes are much faster than with the surface because you can access the entire graphic with the mouse instantly instead of futzing with encoders and selecting groups of bands. And with the computer, scribble strip entry takes a couple of seconds per channel instead of a minute+. It may not seem like big deal if you never change your board setup. But if you're doing a bunch of bands and don't have time to pre-program everything, it's pretty big pain. For that reason, one local owner of an X32 has gone back to using board tape and Sharpie® to label channels. It shouldn't be that way. My feature request posted in another thread on SFN is ability to connect a keyboard and mouse. It would make things a lot easier than the menu navigation sans connected computer. It probably won't happen though. I realize the board is inexpensive and their will be compromises. One of those compromises in my experience is that you really need a $500+ computer or tablet connected to it in order to gain basic efficiency you would get with analog gear.

Or a used $250 Lenovo  :D

I understand the other concerns, but you need to be realistic at this price point.
Technical Director - Chatham Capitol Theatre/Kiwanis Theatre

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2013, 02:34:12 PM »

Interesting about the sidechains Jason - never used them live even once. What mixer has them besides the X32? Digico SD does, that's the only thing I've used that I'm aware of.

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2013, 02:36:53 PM »

One of those compromises in my experience is that you really need a $500+ computer or tablet connected to it in order to gain basic efficiency you would get with analog gear.
I'd say you could get a computer that would run the x32-Edit app for much less than that. Newegg has a refurbished laptop for $150; it's nothing fancy but it doesn't take much to run the program. If you had an old computer laying around as long as it'll run WinXP or Ubuntu it would work fine.

George Dougherty

« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2013, 02:46:27 PM »

If the bus compressors have side chain inputs you can put the vocal in there on a delay, and  set the attack and release so that the delay will be compressed until the last syllable where the compressor backs off and the delay comes way up.
I hadn't gone looking for how to do a duck delay on the x32, but yes, you can even use a subgroup as the key source.  Quite awesome.

I hate to say it, since I'd rather see a good ui on the console that makes everything simple and usable, but the ipad really is almost a required accessory for best results with the x32.

Graphic EQ's are quick and easy, channel naming is type and hit enter to advance to the next, eq adjustments, everything is simpler on a touch screen of a good size.

Jason Lucas

• Hillsboro, OR, USA
« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2013, 02:53:08 PM »

Interesting about the sidechains Jason - never used them live even once. What mixer has them besides the X32? Digico SD does, that's the only thing I've used that I'm aware of.

Roland V-mixers, Avid VENUE, Midas PRO series, and the Yamaha CL series to name a few.
There are three things I hate: Harsh highs, hollow mids, and woofy bass.

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2013, 02:57:08 PM »

Roland V-mixers, Avid VENUE, Midas PRO series, and the Yamaha CL series to name a few.

Never used Yamaha CL or Midas Pro. I suppose I knew about Avid, and of course the Digico I mentioned. I suppose the LS9/M7 have the ducker. Seems like a pretty pro class feature from, with the exception of Roland (which I guess you use) and the X32. Anybody else use this much? I can see how in a house of worship scenario with repeating shows every week it might be useful, but for normal use it doesn't seem like a big deal as long as you have a HPF/LPF sidechain. If I can get that far without having used it....
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 03:02:40 PM by Samuel Rees »

Dan Mortensen

« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2013, 03:12:45 PM »

I think you would be shocked at the sound quality. I know I was, and the comparison was made between an LS9, X32, and my APB Pro House. Only the APB was close or an equal to the Expression, and now I find out that Soundcraft is using the same chip set that's being used in the Studer consoles in the Expression.

Hi Bob,

My experience is the opposite of yours. I think the X32 sounds as good, if not better, than the APB Pro House in the several situations where I've directly substituted one for the other, with no change in the rest of the PA.

You may have whatever opinion you wish, but people reading it should know that you are strongly biased in a direction, regardless of how that bias was created. I was a Soundcraft guy for 30+ years, love the product and/despite its imperfections, and love the Soundcraft people. There is no finer individual in the audio business than Tom Der, and Andy Brown is incredible, too. But there was no way I could afford a Vi-anything, and the X32 came along with the right features, the right support, and the right sound at the right time.

From what I've read about the Expression, I wish it had come out earlier, but it also sounds like it's not the equal of the X32 feature-wise. I'm glad it uses the same parts as higher-end consoles and am happy you have found a digital console you can advocate.

But the X32 *does not* have "low quality sound" by any measurement or unbiased listening. Something was set wrong if it sounds terrible.

Time will tell how well it holds up, as it will for all these low cost digital boards. But, really, do you expect any of the digital consoles at whatever price to be cutting edge for 10 years? I expect them ALL to follow the computer model rather than the analog console model, and would rather be replacing $3k objects every 5 years than $100k objects.

FWIW.
Dan

David Parker

« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2013, 03:35:06 PM »

Hmmmm... seems like a case where you could put the mixer backstage and mix on the dreaded $%&#) iPad.
there is no backstage. Or sidestage. these places are tiny and they use every square inch of real estate for tables. One of them had the stage in a corner, with a restaurant type booth adjoining the stage on one side, and a door on the other. These tiny clubs are some of the best paying in Houston, because they are always packed.

Jason Lucas

• Hillsboro, OR, USA
« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2013, 03:55:03 PM »

Never used Yamaha CL or Midas Pro. I suppose I knew about Avid, and of course the Digico I mentioned. I suppose the LS9/M7 have the ducker. Seems like a pretty pro class feature from, with the exception of Roland (which I guess you use) and the X32. Anybody else use this much? I can see how in a house of worship scenario with repeating shows every week it might be useful, but for normal use it doesn't seem like a big deal as long as you have a HPF/LPF sidechain. If I can get that far without having used it....

Well, like I said I can get by with a Soundcraft M8 and cheap little multi effects unit just fine. But that doesn't mean I don't appreciate nifty features like side chain/key inputs.

The lack of that feature would not keep me from choosing a console, but the inclusion of it might cause me to pick one over another.

For me it mostly comes down to the flexibility of the routing, and what options I have for processing. The more flexible it is and the more options I have, the better.

For my church all we really need is a 32+ channel mixer with a 3-4 band EQ, phantom power, at least 10 AUXes (8 pre-fader, 2 post, or even better switchable post/pre), LCR support (or LR+mono), and at least four comps.

Anything more would just be "nice to have". With some features being really nice to have (comps for each channel, gates/expanders, 4 band parametric, etc).
There are three things I hate: Harsh highs, hollow mids, and woofy bass.

James A. Griffin

« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2013, 03:59:35 PM »

there is no backstage. Or sidestage. these places are tiny and they use every square inch of real estate for tables. One of them had the stage in a corner, with a restaurant type booth adjoining the stage on one side, and a door on the other. These tiny clubs are some of the best paying in Houston, because they are always packed.

X32 Compact or X32 Rack
I need to determine where in this swamp of unbalanced formulas squatteth the Toad of Truth

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2013, 03:59:35 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 24 queries.