ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Qsc k and kw series amps  (Read 2323 times)

Tracy Stewart

Qsc k and kw series amps
« on: July 22, 2013, 07:21:45 AM »

Hello everyone. I had a large event where i was using my 4 qsc kw-153 speakers over 4 kw181. One of my 153's powered off and would not come back on. I was able to isolate and repair an inductor that broke a leg on the amp board. My question is will the k-12 amp interchange with the kw-153 for a short term repair?  I know there may be tuning differences, but i just want to know if it will work in a pinch.  This would be much quicker than repairing the amp onsite. Thx.

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
Re: Qsc k and kw series amps
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 10:59:28 AM »

Hello everyone. I had a large event where i was using my 4 qsc kw-153 speakers over 4 kw181. One of my 153's powered off and would not come back on. I was able to isolate and repair an inductor that broke a leg on the amp board. My question is will the k-12 amp interchange with the kw-153 for a short term repair?  I know there may be tuning differences, but i just want to know if it will work in a pinch.  This would be much quicker than repairing the amp onsite. Thx.

I would say no, as the crossover setup is different, so even if you could Frankenstein it to make sound somehow, drivers would not get the right freq range. You'd be better off replacing it with an entire k12 "in a pinch ".

Ricky Lighthall

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 12:30:00 PM »

I "think" those two models use the same amp board.  The top board does the actual processing so it might be doable by simply swapping the top lid if the bucket.
The broken inductor was an early problem they fixed by using a zip tie to hold it to the pcb.

Tracy Stewart

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 06:59:03 PM »

I "think" those two models use the same amp board.  The top board does the actual processing so it might be doable by simply swapping the top lid if the bucket.
The broken inductor was an early problem they fixed by using a zip tie to hold it to the pcb.

Thanks for the replies.  I epoxied the inductor to the board so hopefully this wont occur again. 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 06:59:03 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 22 queries.