ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Yamaha CL / RIO / Dante clock master  (Read 30486 times)

Scott Helmke

Re: Yamaha CL / RIO / Dante clock master
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2013, 09:19:20 AM »

By default a CL console will make itself not only "preferred master" but also set "slave to external word clock". Not what you want if you're running more than one console.

Go to the word clock page on the CL and change the clock from internal to Dante, which will turn off the "slave to external word clock" setting on the Dante side.

Also if you're running more than one CL console you should assign them different console numbers (Dante Setup page on the console). I believe that only affects the naming scheme, but since naming is everything in Dante it's an important setting.

Cliff Fuller

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2013, 02:56:24 AM »

Go to the word clock page on the CL and change the clock from internal to Dante, which will turn off the "slave to external word clock" setting on the Dante side.

Using 2 CLs shouldn't one of them be set to internal? That one becoming the master clock?

Scott Helmke

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2013, 08:35:21 AM »

Using 2 CLs shouldn't one of them be set to internal? That one becoming the master clock?

In theory the Dante network can switch clock sources too fast for anybody to notice. But given a free choice I tend to want one of the Rio racks to be preferred master, since they are simpler devices and therefore probably less likely to crash or have software problems.

EDIT: Also, clock jitter can only be a problem at the A/D and D/A stage... which means that all the critical clocking happens in the Rio racks, *not* in the console. So why would anybody want to give the console priority?

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2013, 01:19:21 PM »

So after reading this post and nodding "sounds plausible" I came in to today's venue and used the Dante controller to select the clock master as the first rio box rather than the CL5 as it had been the previous two days. Immediately got a red flag warning in the Dante log about the change followed a few minutes later by a yellow banner on the console display about clock source error followed shortly there after by a total drop out of sound from the rio's for about a second in duration. I quickly set the console back to clock source and all has been good. What to think of this turn of events?

In theory the Dante network can switch clock sources too fast for anybody to notice. But given a free choice I tend to want one of the Rio racks to be preferred master, since they are simpler devices and therefore probably less likely to crash ...

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2013, 03:19:04 PM »

So after reading this post and nodding "sounds plausible" I came in to today's venue and used the Dante controller to select the clock master as the first rio box rather than the CL5 as it had been the previous two days. Immediately got a red flag warning in the Dante log about the change followed a few minutes later by a yellow banner on the console display about clock source error followed shortly there after by a total drop out of sound from the rio's for about a second in duration. I quickly set the console back to clock source and all has been good. What to think of this turn of events?

I'm not a CL5 or Dante user, but have a few years in the studio with clocking issues...

Did you set the CL master word clock source to Dante?  (Page 288 of the manual).  Is the RIO master connected through the normal Dante jack on the back of the CL5, or some other digital card, in which case you need to set the specific card as the clock source.
Mark McFarlane

Scott Helmke

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2013, 05:31:26 PM »

Since we don't know exactly which steps you took, I'll assume the worst of you.   ::) 

You need to change the console, on its own screen, to clock from the Dante network. That will turn off the "slave to external clock" option as found in the Dante controller software. Then, from within the Dante software, you want to uncheck "preferred master" for the console and check it for one of the Rio racks. This is how I do it, and I've never had a problem as long as I followed those steps.

Cliff Fuller

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2013, 12:09:58 PM »

So I've got both CLs set to receive clock from the first RIO box (preferred master), no secondary clock source yet. I've also managed to patch both CLs via Dante Controller, and my laptop I/O via Dante Virtual Soundcard. I may learn to like this ….  ::)

I've discovered that re-naming devices can cause some pain, I'll tackle it on another day.

I'm still puzzled by the following small sample of log entries:

1374619012521   Information   ""   "Clock master change on Primary: Device Y001-Yamaha-Rio3224-D no longer clock master"
1374619012522   Information   ""   "Clock master change on Secondary: Device Y001-Yamaha-Rio3224-D no longer clock master"
1374619012529   Information   ""   "Device 001DC1062208 (device name not known) is no longer a grandmaster"
1374619012699   Warning   ""   "Device 001DC1062208 (device name not known) is now a grandmaster"
1374619012756   Error   ""   "Clock master change on Primary: Device Y001-Yamaha-Rio3224-D is now clock master"
1374619012757   Error   ""   "Clock master change on Secondary: Device Y001-Yamaha-Rio3224-D is now clock master"
1374619022756   Information   "Y001-Yamaha-Rio3224-D"   "Timed out 3 times awaiting a reply to message 'HaRemote' from Y001-Yamaha-Rio3224-D, giving up."
1374619022757   Information   "Y002-Yamaha-Rio3224-D"   "Timed out 3 times awaiting a reply to message 'HaRemote' from Y002-Yamaha-Rio3224-D, giving up."
1374619022953   Information   "Y002-Yamaha-CL5-066b20"   "Timed out 3 times awaiting a reply to message 'HaRemote' from Y002-Yamaha-CL5-066b20, giving up."
1374619023007   Information   "Y001-Yamaha-CL5-0618da"   "Timed out 3 times awaiting a reply to message 'HaRemote' from Y001-Yamaha-CL5-0618da, giving up."
1374619624767   Information   ""   "Device 001DC1062208 (device name not known) is no longer a grandmaster"

I've still got to down-grade firmware, I assume the bits about the "HaRemote" are indicative of the bugs there. The entries for "Device 001DC1062208" I don't have a clue about. I'm still working on the time stamps, too (re: 1374619624767).

Thanks to all whom have responded.   :)

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2013, 12:14:09 PM »

Never a bad starting place  ;D ;D ;D

I made the mistake of ASSuming that the Dante controller ruled the Dante universe and obviated  the traditional Yamaha native clock assignments onboard the console.  Thanks for the reminder to read twice, click once.  Still having no luck getting a path into my MacBook from the Dante stream via DVS but that another fight.

Since we don't know exactly which steps you took, I'll assume the worst of you.   ::) 

You need to change the console, on its own screen, to clock from the Dante network. That will turn off the "slave to external clock" option as found in the Dante controller software. Then, from within the Dante software, you want to uncheck "preferred master" for the console and check it for one of the Rio racks. This is how I do it, and I've never had a problem as long as I followed those steps.

Cliff Fuller

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2013, 12:40:58 PM »

Still having no luck getting a path into my MacBook from the Dante stream via DVS but that another fight.

Check your Java version. For your network IP use DHCP, your machine will assume the proper subnet (given no real DHCP server). Also think about "transmitters" and "receivers"

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2013, 02:06:17 PM »

I've still got to down-grade firmware, I assume the bits about the "HaRemote" are indicative of the bugs there. The entries for "Device 001DC1062208" I don't have a clue about. I'm still working on the time stamps, too (re: 1374619624767).

I would fix the firmware version first, and then see what happens with other problems. Using a known bad version of firmware is the wrong place to start looking for solutions.

Mac

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2013, 02:06:17 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 25 queries.