ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: New Member, checking things out.  (Read 15722 times)

James A. Griffin

Re: New Member, checking things out.
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2013, 12:19:21 PM »

Do we really have to play the "my board is better than your board" game?

+1

The OP has invested in some gear that should serve him and his market for some time.     While we all have our favorite boards, he has already made his choice.  I doubt he is in a financial place where he can unload the SL and buy something new or different.     He can get gigs with the gear he has. 

Mike, welcome a "board"....  carry on and let us know how you're doing.   You're on the right track..
I need to determine where in this swamp of unbalanced formulas squatteth the Toad of Truth

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2013, 12:39:50 PM »

QSC KW front of house (4 KW153's over 4 KW181's, with plans to purchase 4 more KW181's soon)

Hi, Mike...

Just remember that your 153's are 75 degree (conical) patterns, so with 2/side you should be splaying them so that the patterns do not overlap.  When you do that, you end up with 150 degrees.  Outdoors this is OK.  Indoors, you'll probably want to check out running just 1/side or learning about "dual PA" config.

Running 2/side generally increases your coverage, not so much your overall output.  For the minimal SPL increase you do get, the trade-off is that overlapping patterns will get into comb filtering...which you want to try to avoid for the best sound.

But if you've got a s***load of stage wash and overall volume is the order of the day, go for it.  I wouldn't, but many do.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2013, 01:18:17 PM »

Do we really have to play the "my board is better than your board" game?  You don't have anything better to talk about?

The OP mentioned that he was planning to purchase a new Presonus board.  Suggesting alternatives can be helpful.  Good reasons are given for the OP to at least look at other options.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2013, 03:51:31 PM »

Wow, now there's a real nice welcome!  Do we really have to play the "my board is better than your board" game?  You don't have anything better to talk about?

I'm not sure Luke actually meant to trash Mike's choice in hardware, but rather show that there are other options, perhaps using the wrong verbiage.

Mike - I'm the last person on this planet to move to a digital board, but only because at my advanced age it takes longer to decide what might be best for my needs. I pulled an APB Pro House out of my stage rack and replaced it with a Soundcraft Expression, but only after a couple of years of waiting for the playing field to level out, and I'm glad I did.

Many people jumped on the Presonus boards from the beginning. They were the first to offer a low cost entry level digital board. They have a low learning curve, have a decent analog feel, but in reality the Presonus boards are just too entry level lacking some pretty major features as compared to other boards now available.

The X32 is a big step up from the Presonus boards. My problem with the Behringer board is that their design is not proven (regardless of current status), there are a limited number of repair facilities (1), and of course the name.

A&H has come out with a new board with some good features, and they have the name, but there aren't any out there yet so I personally would wait and see what happens if I were interested in their board.

I opted for a Soundcraft Expression. 99% of the big boy features, and proven technology taken directly from the rest of their line. They do not use different hardware, they use top of the line flying faders, and the sound is outstanding. Did I say I'm anal when it comes to sound quality? Well I am, hence the APB. The board doesn't have as many bells and whistles as the X32, you have to hand it to Uli there. But, if you want a quality board you might look and listen to them all before you jump on another Presonus board. I did, I always do, I'm more than happy with my choice. And for the rest of the guy's, no smart ass old guy digital I told you so comments.

Welcome to the board, nice rig, nice picture (next time more women in the picture.).
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Mike Sullivan

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2013, 04:43:33 PM »

Awesome, only two posts in and people are already trashing my gear.  Tell you what, give me $25,000 for an M7CL and we won't have that problem.  The Presonus does what I need it to.  I don't need an M7CL or an SC48 or anything yet.  I would get a Soundcraft, but I can get two Studiolive's for that price, and it does fine for my purpose. 
When you're reading a topic, and the word "Danley" comes up...RUN!!!

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2013, 05:04:43 PM »

Awesome, only two posts in and people are already trashing my gear.  Tell you what, give me $25,000 for an M7CL and we won't have that problem.  The Presonus does what I need it to.  I don't need an M7CL or an SC48 or anything yet.  I would get a Soundcraft, but I can get two Studiolive's for that price, and it does fine for my purpose.

Whatever you do, DON'T buy an M7.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2013, 05:07:12 PM »

Right.......  :o
Soundcraft Si Expression 3: $3499

PreSonus StudioLive 32.4.2 AI: $3999

and yes the street prices are lower but that's for both models.

Mike Sullivan

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2013, 05:43:00 PM »

Right.......  :o
Soundcraft Si Expression 3: $3499

PreSonus StudioLive 32.4.2 AI: $3999

and yes the street prices are lower but that's for both models.

Hmm, I could have swore the Soundcraft's were a lot more than that, at least when I asked my friend...You can tell I haven't woken up yet.  Regardless, I still like the Studiolive's workflow a bit more, I will probably get a Soundcraft down the road.

Luke Robinson

• audio gods
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2013, 05:43:41 PM »

Wow, now there's a real nice welcome!  Do we really have to play the "my board is better than your board" game?  You don't have anything better to talk about?

No i am not trying to say that, I was just trying to point out that buying a presous 32 channel for $4k might not be the wisest investment. To be honest the x32 is just something I bought to toy around with, and I am pleasantly surprised by it. I find myself using it more than I thought I would in situations where i could have brought out consoles that were 3-6 times more expensive, and I was trying to help someone make what I think is a better decision for a future purchase.

Sorry if it came off as critical, that is why I stated that it is merely my opinion.

Luke

Mike Sullivan

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2013, 06:30:45 PM »

No i am not trying to say that, I was just trying to point out that buying a presous 32 channel for $4k might not be the wisest investment. To be honest the x32 is just something I bought to toy around with, and I am pleasantly surprised by it. I find myself using it more than I thought I would in situations where i could have brought out consoles that were 3-6 times more expensive, and I was trying to help someone make what I think is a better decision for a future purchase.

Sorry if it came off as critical, that is why I stated that it is merely my opinion.

Luke

I'm still not a fan of the X32.  1. It has the Behringer name, still don't trust it.  2. The processing layout is too complicated to figure out, and everything is done by the screen.  For a bar band that uses it remotely, I can see it working great.  But for dedicated FOH use, I just think it would be too much of a hassle for me.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2013, 06:30:45 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 22 queries.