ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yamaha CL firmware notice - 1.60 should not be used?  (Read 5812 times)

Scott Helmke

Yamaha CL firmware notice - 1.60 should not be used?
« on: July 16, 2013, 10:06:44 AM »

From Yamaha:

With V1.60 firmware, we have found that CL consoles may partially lose HA gain control of R series units after being powered on for a long period of time. We are preparing new firmware to fix this. Please use V1.5 firmware until the fixed firmware is released. If your current firmware version is V1.60, make sure to change it to the following:
CL: MAIN V1.51, SUB V1.50, Rio3224/1608-D V1.50, Ri8/Ro8-D V1.51

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
Re: Yamaha CL firmware notice - 1.60 should not be used?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 10:20:30 AM »

From Yamaha:

Wow...I was planning on upgrading next week when I get back. Glad I waited. Thanks for the heads up.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Joe Shambro

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 12:10:05 AM »

I'm curious what losing control of HA gain means -- as in, "lost command control" or "all hell broke loose".

Either way, I'm sure it bit the right person or people to command such a quick and urgent firmware change.   :P

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 12:23:55 AM »

I'm curious what losing control of HA gain means -- ... or "all hell broke loose".....
As in the head amp gain went to maximum(or, almost as bad, minimum) all of a sudden..... >:D
Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk 2

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 08:40:45 AM »

Does anyone know what "a long period of time" constitutes in this instance?  If the problem only manifests itself after the console has been on for more the 20 hours or more I'd be inclined to let my console run with the 1.6 firmware.  I am not enthused about going backwards on firmware revisions.  That sort of thing seems to be more problematic than most software related voodoo.

Geri O'Neil

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2013, 12:27:04 PM »

Does anyone know what "a long period of time" constitutes in this instance?  If the problem only manifests itself after the console has been on for more the 20 hours or more I'd be inclined to let my console run with the 1.6 firmware.  I am not enthused about going backwards on firmware revisions.  That sort of thing seems to be more problematic than most software related voodoo.

I'm with you on going back...

I was on the verge of updating our machines, but saw Scott's post just in time.

There are 2 CLs at our church, one's been there for a year and the other one is waiting in the wings to be installed. My bud there updated both CLs when the update came out. I run the first CL every other Sunday and my Sunday is coming up tomorrow. It was reported that when that CL was booted up last Sunday morning, there was no head amp control until the CL and the Rio was re-booted. That's the first time anything like that has ever been reported with that CL. Afterwards, the CL ran fine for probably close to 3 hours with no reported issues. And it was used that night and on Wednesday, and with no issues that I've heard about.

I had a little issue yesterday with a 3224 Rio in one of our Rio racks. It showed connected, but not synced. I rebooted, but same problem. I didn't actually try to see if it was passing audio. I reached up in the rack, disconnected and reconnected the Cat6 cables and this time, everything was fine. I think I'm gonna call one of the cable data places in town and see if they will test our Cat6 cables for signal integrity (I nearly fell over when I priced one of those testers, but if our inventory grows, we'll have to have one). I'm open to suggestions in that area...

Geri O
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 07:28:00 PM by Geri O'Neil »

Jason Lucas

• Hillsboro, OR, USA
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2013, 02:14:10 PM »

...I think I'm gonna call one of the cable data places in town and see if they will test our Cat6 cables for signal integrity (I nearly fell over when I priced one of those testers, but if our inventory grows, we'll have to have one). I'm open to suggestions in that area...

Geri O

Will a standard RJ45 cable tester not work? You can find those for $15-$25 easy.
There are three things I hate: Harsh highs, hollow mids, and woofy bass.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2013, 05:33:41 PM »

Will a standard RJ45 cable tester not work? You can find those for $15-$25 easy.

Those cheap RJ45 testers only test for continuity. Geri is talking about a meter that analyzes the cable performance and tells you how much data it will pass.

Mac

George Dougherty

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2013, 05:36:16 PM »

No, CAT6 spec is actually pretty tight and easy to fail. Proper install requires competent techs that know and follow the recommended requirements.  Cat5e by comparison is very forgiving in termination procedure and cable handling.

The OP would be needing verification that the cable transmission is up to snuff and not just wired pin to pin correctly.  The spec and handling during installations is stringent enough that if you manage to get a kink pulled tight in the cable, you remove it and start over.  You're also not supposed to use zip ties or anything that can compress the jacketing around the cable 

Geri O'Neil

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2013, 05:45:24 PM »

An update on the church's CL that I ran this morning....

The CL, which was updated before Yamaha retracted the update, was powered up at 5:40am and I checked it for proper operation and everything was fine. And it ran fine with no problems for the entire duration, when I powered it down at 10:20am.

I'm certainly NOT saying that it's okay to update the firmware. In fact, since Yamaha said NOT to update, then DON'T. As for rolling the update back, that's for the individual user to decide. I think this unit is going to stay updated, unless we get a glaring reason to roll it back.

Geri O

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2013, 05:45:24 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 23 queries.