ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: Upgrade from Presonus Studiolive 16:0:2?  (Read 48294 times)

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
Re: Upgrade from Presonus Studiolive 16:0:2?
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2013, 08:17:48 PM »

Looking at the boards you have listed, and the MAP prices, they are all going to fall in nearly the same category.  I added a couple options as well.

6. SI Expression 1 $2499 - $2200
This is a very easy to use digital console.  This has the largest channel count capability of all boards listed, with a max of 66. The fader glow function is pretty nice when switching function of the faders.  However, the lack of scribble strip would won't make it a challenge to use this board with many inputs.  For some reason, Soundcraft decided to have 2 less sliders than inputs on the entire line.  That means this board has 14 sliders for the 16 inputs.  Weird design decision, if you ask me.
Each of these boards has their advantages.  If you're just looking for a standalone, easy to use mixer, I'd look at the Soundcraft.   If you're looking to build into bigger systems, then other considerations are at play, such as how you want to expand, and what other products you want to connect to.

I'm not really sold on iPad based systems for mixing yet.  Yes, they are nice, and it's convenient to mix from the pad at times, but I still like the feel of real controls.  When crap hits the fan, I can pull down a master fader pretty quickly.  Booting up a sleeping iPad, and then having to deal with potential connectivity issues while my speakers fry just doesn't sound appealing to me.
Fixed it for you. ;)

I purchased an expression one two (2) weeks ago. I had been working in an analog world for 45 years and the stage board I replaced with the Expression was an APB Pro House, one of the best sounding analog boards available today. I have followed the digital entry level craze for the past couple of years and decided that unless a well known and trusted company came out with an easy to use analog feeling digital board I would stay out of the hunt.

I bought the Expression after 2 years of looking and listening determined that I would NOT take a step backwards or sideways from the APB quality or sound. After lots of listening, looking at, and fiddling with LS-9s, X32s, Presonus boards, Midas boards, and the Soundcraft SI Compact, I had made a decision to buy the SI compact. The cost of the compact with stage box, etc. would have been around $9000. I was OK with that amount because the sound of the board was equal to, if not better, than the APB, and better sounding than any board I've mentioned except maybe the Midas Pro. That my son is a very big claim to fame in my book and this was a major factor in my move to the digital world.

So I waited because I had heard there would be a price drop on the SI compact. Well, I was slightly misled. There wasn't a real price drop because what Soundcraft did was change the fader and knob colors of the compact from brushed silver to black, and pull a couple of features. Except for the color a couple of features everything about the Expression is the same as it's bigger brothers. Same hardware, same electronics, same faders, head amps, fader glow, quality and sound. So in essence Soundcraft wanted to compete at the entry level and with the exception of some very minor changes, renamed their more expensive board and are now selling it for much less.

The expression is quite simple to use. There are four layers, A, B, C, D, and each layer or fader channel can be assigned to a specific use. If you want two layers of mic inputs then use two layers. If you want a layer just for monitors, effects, drums, etc. all you have to do is assign those faders or layers to that purpose (And thank the good members of this site for helping you learn how quickly.).

If you look at the Expression you'll see a screen, and to the left colored sections with rotary knobs and lighted buttons. Each colored section defines a purpose such as, EQ, compression, limiter, effects (Lexicon). Select a channel and all of those controls are now available for that channel. And let's not be swayed by the "my EQ is better than your EQ" bullshit. The expression EQ works as well if not better than any EQ I've ever had my hands on, fully parametric or not.

There are 14 outputs plus L/R, there are 14 mixes available than can be assigned to anything on any layer in seconds, there are 4 mute groups, 4 available effects processors with 26 selections for each which can be modified and assigned to any channel output or group, 16 XLR inputs on the back of the Expression 1, an option card slot compatible with all of Soundcrafts expansion products and stage boxes for the SI products, and fader glow, which is the absolute balls, and 8 matrix, and smooth quiet flying faders.

does it have electronic scribble strips? No, but the layers are very logical, the fader glow is a huge help, and there is plenty of room for gaff tape above the faders. And to be very honest, I have 16 mic channels, a half dozen monitor mixes, mute groups, effects groups all on two layers (A,B) and haven't been lost yet. 
Expansion is easy using tried and proven option cards and stage boxes from Soundcraft and Studer. All of the stage boxes ship WITH the required option card at no additional price.

The latest firmware has resolved any previous problems being reported, and the board is built using a proven design and reliable top quality components.

I could go on but there's plenty on the web about these boards. do I like my first digital board? Hell yes. Is it a better board than any other in it's class? I think so, but that's up to you or anyone else to decide. I'll leave you with a note sent to me by Soundcraft support.

"Bob,
 There are lots of videos online on our website and on YouTube.
 Any tutorial videos you find for Si Compact, Si Expression, or Si Performer, will help you."
 Here's a link to our video vault: http://usa.soundcraft.com/support/videos.aspx?c=7

BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

James A. Griffin

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2013, 08:28:50 PM »

I doubt the X32 is a big pain to use.

+1.   Like the OP, my previous mixers were 01v96 and StudioLive.     I spent 15 minutes with the X32 manual and was ready to go.  It's MUCH easier than either of those 2 mixers and the feature set is infinitely better.
I need to determine where in this swamp of unbalanced formulas squatteth the Toad of Truth

Randy Wilkins

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2013, 10:26:08 PM »

+1 to Bob Leonard. We've had the Expression 3 since it came out. Everything Bob said rings true and would be a great choice as a replacement for the Studiolive.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Robert Piascik

• Westerville, OH (near Columbus)
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2013, 10:47:08 PM »

Another vote for the X32 but my real reason for posting is to say I'm glad I was sitting down when I read Bob Leonard had gone digital! :)
Pi Entertainment Services
Midas M32R / MR18
Behringer X32R
Danley SH50 / SM80 / TH118 / TH115
Fulcrum Acoustic fa22ac
RCF NX 12SMA
Yamaha DSR112 / DZR10
Powersoft X4 / M50Q
Crown iT8k

James A. Griffin

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2013, 10:49:14 PM »

Another vote for the X32 but my real reason for posting is to say I'm glad I was sitting down when I read Bob Leonard had gone digital! :)

+1    The 21st Century is officially here!
I need to determine where in this swamp of unbalanced formulas squatteth the Toad of Truth

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2013, 11:39:37 PM »

You guys are making me blush.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Jason Lucas

• Hillsboro, OR, USA
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2013, 12:18:57 AM »

Bob, how did you get around the inability to send a channel to a mix pre-dynamics? Did you just patch inputs to multiple channels? Or was this even an issue for you?
There are three things I hate: Harsh highs, hollow mids, and woofy bass.

Richard Penrose

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2013, 03:36:20 AM »

Very helpful stuff guys. I didn't realize that you only get 8 faders for mixing with the X32 Producer. This has put me off this option and I may consider the X32 Rack or iX16 though I would prefer a proper mixer with faders instead of purely using the iPad.

I'm leaning heavily towards the QU-16 as I've heard the iLive and GLD mixers a lot and they've always sounded great. Also having support 20mins down the road is extremely re-assuring!

May consider the X32 Rack or iX16 depending on price but they'd have to be a real bargain to sway me away from the QU-16!

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2013, 08:23:28 AM »

There wasn't a real price drop because what Soundcraft did was change the fader and knob colors of the compact from brushed silver to black, and pull a couple of features. Except for the color a couple of features everything about the Expression is the same as it's bigger brothers. Same hardware, same electronics, same faders, head amps, fader glow, quality and sound. So in essence Soundcraft wanted to compete at the entry level and with the exception of some very minor changes, renamed their more expensive board and are now selling it for much less.
They actually added rather more in the Expression line (over the Compact) than they removed.

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2013, 11:08:15 AM »

They actually added rather more in the Expression line (over the Compact) than they removed.

Added:
New faders (feel different)
More inputs to mix
Freely assignable fader layers
Master power switch

Removed:
All 4 dedicated hardware insert loops

Can't think of anything else off the top of my head.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2013, 11:08:15 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 25 queries.