ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: Upgrade from Presonus Studiolive 16:0:2?  (Read 47757 times)

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
Re: Upgrade from Presonus Studiolive 16:0:2?
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2013, 03:39:20 PM »

Very helpful stuff guys. I didn't realize that you only get 8 faders for mixing with the X32 Producer. This has put me off this option and I may consider the X32 Rack or iX16 though I would prefer a proper mixer with faders instead of purely using the iPad.

Not entirely true, there are 8 faders in a bank for individual channels(4 layers for channels, one for aux inputs and one for effects) and another bank of 8 for DCA's and mixbus's(4 layers total). I'm sure I could mix my 5 or 6 member band on this setup easily by using the DCA's to control groups of inputs that are on the lower layers. There are 17 faders total on the surface.

Jason Lucas

• Hillsboro, OR, USA
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2013, 03:49:35 PM »

Same goes for the X32 Compact, only the Compact has LED scribble strips. :D
There are three things I hate: Harsh highs, hollow mids, and woofy bass.

Dave Bednarski

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2013, 04:04:37 PM »

I was all about adding a X32 Rack into the rack for jobs where I can sneak by without the X32.... until I did a job a few weeks ago at a minor league ballgame... (we were the band you walk past on your way to buy beer) --- and watched my Wifi signal strength tank from 150 feet to... about nothing - when fans arrived.  Ha.

Yayaya... I've read all about it.  Until it happened to me!  Something to consider, if considering the X32 rack and the jobs you do or may do.

I switched from an StudioLive 24 to the X32, when Presonus did not come out with a board w/ motorized faders this year (tired of fader locate when remote mixing).  So far happy.  Only bitch are the somewhat cartoony screens. 
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 04:08:10 PM by Dave Bednarski »

James A. Griffin

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2013, 04:06:25 PM »

I switched from an StudioLive 24 to the X32, when Presonus did not come out with a board w/ motorized faders this year (tired of fader location when remote mixing).  So far happy.  Only bitch are the somewhat cartoony screens.

You like the SL screen better?    ;D
I need to determine where in this swamp of unbalanced formulas squatteth the Toad of Truth

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2013, 04:10:26 PM »

Fixed it for you. ;)

The prices listed are the MAP prices found online, used as a base comparison.  Of course, you can find better pricing if you try.

Not sure why you crossed out the fact that there are only 14 channel sliders on the board, but the board has 16 XLR inputs.  If you use 16 inputs, you HAVE to use 2 layers.  The entire line is set up that way. 24 input board, 22 sliders.  32 input board, 30 sliders. Yes, you can set up layers and map the inputs to any channel, so it's not the end of the world.  But if you wanted a 16 channel mix on the surface, all at once, the only board in the list that offers that is the A&H.

If you can use a board with 66 inputs without labels, I'm impressed.  Hand written labels for multiple layers just seems like a royal pain to me.  I'd much rather have the display electronically change showing me what that channel actually is.

If they came out with an SI expression plus that included scribble strips, I'd be all over it in a heartbeat.
Brian Jojade

Dave Bednarski

« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2013, 04:10:33 PM »

You like the SL screen better?    ;D

Yes, you could almost spell BOOBIE if you set the delay right.

Jason Lucas

• Hillsboro, OR, USA
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2013, 04:30:17 PM »

The prices listed are the MAP prices found online, used as a base comparison.  Of course, you can find better pricing if you try.

Not sure why you crossed out the fact that there are only 14 channel sliders on the board, but the board has 16 XLR inputs.  If you use 16 inputs, you HAVE to use 2 layers.  The entire line is set up that way. 24 input board, 22 sliders.  32 input board, 30 sliders. Yes, you can set up layers and map the inputs to any channel, so it's not the end of the world.  But if you wanted a 16 channel mix on the surface, all at once, the only board in the list that offers that is the A&H.

If you can use a board with 66 inputs without labels, I'm impressed.  Hand written labels for multiple layers just seems like a royal pain to me.  I'd much rather have the display electronically change showing me what that channel actually is.

If they came out with an SI expression plus that included scribble strips, I'd be all over it in a heartbeat.

After 3 years of trying to mix more inputs than I have faders for, without scribble strips, I can tell you it is a PITA.

Being able to put any input on any channel is great if you have LED scribble strips...OR you are the ONLY operator of the console. In any other case it defeats the purpose, IMO.

Let me give you a for instance: Say, like me, you are one of several operators of a console owned by the venue (or HoW in this case). And you have a fancy digital board with the ability to put any channel anywhere such as the Si Expression. So you assign the channels you need to use most to the top layer in a layout that works well for you. Then the next day someone else walks up and wants to have a different layout. Can't do it. Or, at least, not without updating the tape.

THAT's why I hate it when there aren't any LED scribble strips. If I was the only user of the console I could get used to it. In fact on the Roland I've gotten used to ignoring the tape and just keeping my eyes on the screen. It has a "touch select" feature where anytime you touch a fader, that channel's properties pop up on the screen including the name. Thing is though, I'd prefer to keep my eyes on the stage, not on the screen.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2013, 06:30:19 PM »

For some reason, Soundcraft decided to have 2 less sliders than inputs on the entire line.  That means this board has 14 sliders for the 16 inputs. 

My contention was not the amount of faders available per layer (14 plus L/R & MONO out). My contention is that your description is incorrect. There are faders for every channel and additional channels up to 66 if you assign them, which takes less than 1 second. Do I wish the board had a scribble strip window for each fader? Yes I do, and that would be very nice, but I don't mind tape and I can cover 32 channels with ease as long as the channels are set up logically. Add the fader glow and the channel description in the touch screen and it's not as difficult as people would like to make you think. The power of this board is easy to understand once you use it, starting with the sound. Someone mentioned the faders were not the same as the on the compact. The answer is the only difference is the color of the button.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Steve Hurt

• Lab Lounge
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2013, 07:01:27 PM »

Hi,
I've been doing a little reading on options and I'm interested in :-

i/ Allen & Heath QU-16
ii/ Behringer X32 Producer (or maybe iX16)
iii/ Line 6 StageScape M20d

Of these three, I'd pick the Line 6 since the other 2 don't exist yet.

Jason Lucas

• Hillsboro, OR, USA
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2013, 07:11:37 PM »

Of these three, I'd pick the Line 6 since the other 2 don't exist yet.

They "exist". They've been shown off at places like NAMM. They just aren't available to purchase yet.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2013, 07:11:37 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 24 queries.