ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]   Go Down

Author Topic: Upgrade from Presonus Studiolive 16:0:2?  (Read 48277 times)

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
Re: Upgrade from Presonus Studiolive 16:0:2?
« Reply #130 on: July 18, 2013, 07:51:45 AM »

Quote from: Scott Bolt link=topic=144898.msg1335781#msg1335781 date=

To the original topic, I still haven't heard any convincing argument that having recallable gains / remote gain control is not a very desirable feature.

The argument that someone has never needed it before is pretty lame IMHO.

You haven't provided any convincing argument why not having it is a "deal killer".

Just because something can be engineered doesn't it mean it has to be included on every single product. You are a engineer. Hopefully, you have participated enough in the product design process to know it is about compromise. Rarely does a product get a design that includes everything someone might use.

It should be pretty clear from the other responses that your projected use is different from other people so a different feature set might be in order for your purchase, but it is likely the design engineers considered more standard uses when they made their compromises to the features.
Jay Barracato

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #131 on: July 18, 2013, 08:24:12 AM »

Scott,
The question most people don't ask. Is a board capable of performing a function if that function isn't featured? Function and feature have two very different meanings.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #132 on: July 18, 2013, 12:05:16 PM »

Never mind(deleted)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 12:14:48 PM by Chuck Simon »

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #133 on: July 18, 2013, 01:42:21 PM »

I like that my LS9 has recallable trims. My 01v96 doesn't but it is still a good desk.

I realized that pretty much after the first song (or sound check) I rarely ever change a trim (I set them somewhat conservative).

I like that StageMix now let's me set trims though I have not used the feature yet.

For me, any new mixer I buy needs recallable trims but whether the remote app can adjust them isn't as important for me.

Everyone else can make their own choices. The market will show if various features are important. Like bass drum mics, this can be religious.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #134 on: July 18, 2013, 03:56:18 PM »

Rob,
What are you doing next Thursday or Friday?? I'm taking a couple of days off.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Scott Bolt

« Reply #135 on: July 18, 2013, 06:55:03 PM »

I've decided I will go with the Allen & Heath QU-16. Need to sell a few studio pieces of equipment to fund it but think the QU-16 has the best feature set for my needs.

Will report back in a few weeks once I have one and have given it a thorough road test.

Richard,

I am very much looking forward to your report.

@Jay,
You haven't provided any convincing argument why not having it is a "deal killer".

Just because something can be engineered doesn't it mean it has to be included on every single product. You are a engineer. Hopefully, you have participated enough in the product design process to know it is about compromise. Rarely does a product get a design that includes everything someone might use.

It should be pretty clear from the other responses that your projected use is different from other people so a different feature set might be in order for your purchase, but it is likely the design engineers considered more standard uses when they made their compromises to the features.
I think that it is a deal killer for some, and of no interest at all to others.  As you point out, engineering is all about compromising.  You simply don't get something for nothing.  God just made the world that way ;)

Having said that, I think the electronics needed to achieve remote gain control are pretty inexpensive these days, so it really becomes a "why not".

I do agree with the idea of setting your gains fairly conservatively so that you don't have so much of a possibility that you will need to adjust them later.

Just out of curiosity where do you guys normally set your gain?  I have typically been setting them on my MixWiz to unity on all channels (ie hottest input gets you just to the top of the green band on the MixWiz).  I am thinking that I may need to back off on any new digital mixer though.  The MixWiz is pretty forgiving where I have heard that some digital mixers (Presonus in specific) are not.

It is also quite clear that my own use model is quite different from many others here however, there are plenty of people that I have heard from that have different use models from me that also are pretty pro on the recallable and remote gain control.

Of course, for some it is a non-issue.

I would think that for those mixing on the physical interface out front, the tablet mixing would be more of a cool feature vs. a need-to-have.

Still, as pointed out, the market will decide within a few years.

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #136 on: July 18, 2013, 07:42:51 PM »

Just out of curiosity where do you guys normally set your gain?  I have typically been setting them on my MixWiz to unity on all channels (ie hottest input gets you just to the top of the green band on the MixWiz).  I am thinking that I may need to back off on any new digital mixer though.  The MixWiz is pretty forgiving where I have heard that some digital mixers (Presonus in specific) are not.
I set the gain on my Mackie Onyx to where they are averaging around 0db on the meter with peaks going higher than that(but not clipping) and probably a couple of channels averaging a little hotter than 0db. My drum mic channels are usually flashing the yellow light on the channel strip meter.

Jason Lucas

• Hillsboro, OR, USA
« Reply #137 on: July 19, 2013, 12:58:38 AM »

The board I use has peak meters rather than RMS, but I set the gain so the meter is hovering around -12, with the loudest peaks hitting around -6. Sometimes I need more than that though, like on the lead vocalist (I always have his gain just below clipping) and the kick drum.
There are three things I hate: Harsh highs, hollow mids, and woofy bass.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #138 on: July 19, 2013, 01:24:49 AM »

Where to set input trim?  It depends... ;)

In the old analog days we'd PFL the channel and raise the input trim until the PFL meter was around 0dBu.  A little more or less depending of the source.  Most mixers had a peak output around +20 so if the output hit +4 there was still 16 dB before you hit the rails.... and +4 was really loud, driving most systems to near maximum output (and some far over it).

Most digital consoles have their meters calibrated against "Zero DB FS", or 0dB, full scale.  In the digi world that's where you're out of ones and the desk is at full output voltage swing (think +20ish).  I like to trim my inputs so they hit -18 on the PFL meter if it's relative to 0DBFS.  Again, a little more or less, depending...

« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 01:27:26 AM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #138 on: July 19, 2013, 01:24:49 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 22 queries.