ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: IO box for your measurement rig?  (Read 10668 times)

Zhao Li

IO box for your measurement rig?
« on: July 09, 2013, 01:26:41 AM »

What do you guys use for your measurement rig? I'm looking to get a 4-8 channel USB mic pre that allows me to do multi-channel Transfer Function measurement in Smaart7. Currently I am using the old trustworthy USBpre.

These are some models that have caught my attention:
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL
Steinberg UR824
STEINBERG MR816x
TASCAM US-800
Roland OCTA-CAPTURE UA-1010

I'm hoping to get a preamp that colors the sound the least. Any recommendations?

Thanks and happy mixing!

Gareth Marsh

Re: IO box for your measurement rig?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 02:53:08 AM »

What do you guys use for your measurement rig? I'm looking to get a 4-8 channel USB mic pre that allows me to do multi-channel Transfer Function measurement in Smaart7. Currently I am using the old trustworthy USBpre.

Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
Steinberg UR824
STEINBERG MR816x
TASCAM US-800

I'm hoping to get a preamp that colors the sound the least. Any recommendations?

Thanks and happy mixing!

I have been very happy with my Motu Ultralite. They make the 4pre and 8pre which have the number of preamps you need, although the 8pre is firewire only.

I had previously been using a M-Audio fast track pro, and got fed up with several issues with it - the Motu unit has been stable and streets ahead of it!

HTH

-Gareth

Chris Johnson [UK]

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 03:07:54 AM »

Motu 4pre for me!
Riedel Communications

Arthur Skudra

• SR Forums
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 06:42:48 AM »

I have been very happy with my Roland Octacapture for Smaart measurements.  Very portable considering it has 8 mic pres.  Nice metal case.

Merlijn van Veen

• www.merlijnvanveen.nl
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 08:07:40 AM »

RME fireface 800

Jason Lavoie

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 09:36:44 AM »

I have been very happy with my Roland Octacapture for Smaart measurements.  Very portable considering it has 8 mic pres.  Nice metal case.

Me too.
I especially like it because I have my kit in a portable rack, so the two wireless units can be permanently plugged into the rear ports, leaving me 4 on the front for other things.

jason

Rich Frembes

• Fulcrum Acoustic
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 10:34:34 AM »

Check out the OctaCapture listening test report I posted on the Rational Acoustics forums back in August 2011:

http://www.rationalacoustics.com/forums/showthread.php?800-OctaCapture-Listening-Test

I have been very happily using the OC for measurement and listening since then.

Rich Frembes
Fulcrum Acoustic

Josh Hana

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 11:39:51 AM »

I have been very happy with my Motu Ultralite. They make the 4pre and 8pre which have the number of preamps you need, although the 8pre is firewire only.

I had previously been using a M-Audio fast track pro, and got fed up with several issues with it - the Motu unit has been stable and streets ahead of it!

HTH

-Gareth

Recently got a Motu Ultralite3 and I love it. Only 2 mic pres but I've been using it for home recording (2 mics + guitar in), Smaart, and for multitrack rec/playback live. The fact that it's a fairly powerful standalone mixer is really great too. I'll probably be getting another to chain together for a 4 pre/16 in // 16 out single rack space for under $1000 which is shweeeet.

John Penkala

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 04:44:54 PM »

Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
Steinberg UR824
STEINBERG MR816x
TASCAM US-800

Thanks and happy mixing!

FWIW-
    If you really just need 4 inputs, you might want to just get an additional USBPre. I've seen them go for $125 on eBay. If you go this route, remember that the original USBPre doesn't work on the Mac OS and/or 64bit Windows OS. I bought a third party driver for $60 available online that allows the USBPre to work on a 64bit Windows OS. I'm running Windows 7 64bit. Additionally, the USBPre sounds very good. However, that shouldn't matter if you are using it just for measurements.

JP

Zhao Li

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2013, 09:39:54 PM »

Motu 4pre for me!

a chap told me that the motu drivers for windows won't work really well. Is that true?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2013, 09:39:54 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 24 queries.