ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: directivity of a tapped horn vs horn  (Read 3451 times)

William Abel

directivity of a tapped horn vs horn
« on: July 08, 2013, 06:28:34 PM »

I'm a DJ for fun and a cabinet maker by trade.
 For a few years I had been using 2)Peavey VR-218 subs, laying down in front of my control table, with 2) Peavey QW-2 tops on stands (for this discussion) to get the horns above head level. This past December I built 6-LABhorns.  For my standard gigs I use two LABhorns laying down, mouth to mouth, in front of my control table, with same QW-2's for tops. The sound is clean! smooth! and the deep notes are effortless! The bass on the back side of the system is much softer, making it more enjoyable.

For smaller gigs I don't want to go back to direct radiating 18" subs because of the omni sound from the subs. I'm thinking about tapped horns for smaller gigs.

My question; Are tapped horns directional like the LABhorn?

Thanks,

Bill Abel

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
Re: directivity of a tapped horn vs horn
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 07:03:01 PM »

My question; Are tapped horns directional like the LABhorn?
Bill,

Perhaps even more directional:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/184982-tapped-horn-directivity.html

My tests compared a BR, FLH, and TH of similar frontal area, the TH was the most directional.
Jim Bell also posted some results, surprisingly his smaller TH seemed directional to a lower frequency. That said, my tests were influenced by some surrounding buildings.

Just did a gig with a country swing band, the bass player plugs in direct,  normally does not go through the monitors, just listens to his bass off the back of the PA.
He came up to me after the gig and commented how much less he heard off the back of the Keystone TH subs than what he normally hears off bass reflex PAs.

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: directivity of a tapped horn vs horn
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 07:03:01 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 24 queries.