ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multiple Monitor measurement - EQ suggestions ?  (Read 4662 times)

Mark McFarlane

Multiple Monitor measurement - EQ suggestions ?
« on: July 08, 2013, 03:28:24 PM »

I measured my new monitors tonight: 3 RCF NX-10SMA (Mon 1-3) and 2 RCF NX-12SMA (Mon 4-5), both active COAX designs with 1.7KHz crossover points.  There is a related post here: http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,144820.0.html with some additional measurements.

Speaker details are here: http://www.rcf.it/products/pro-speaker-systems/nx-series/nx-10-sma and here http://www.rcf.it/products/pro-speaker-systems/nx-series/nx-12-sma

Measurement Details: Monitors placed on ground outdoors. No wind but a fair amount of AC noise (ambient noise is shown in related post, its fairly far down from the pink noise level). Smaart 7, Audix TM-1 mic at ear height, ART USB DualPre.  I forgot to apply the TM-1 mic correction but the largest error in the calibration file is 0.3db at 220Hz, negligible for the purpose of this test.

Mon History: Mon 1-3 are new, Mon 1 has about 10 hours of use, 2&3 have 90 minutes of use.  Mon 4 & 5 were broken in by a guitarist and are of unknown age, but I was told they are different ages, one might be fairly new.

Measurement Goal: Measure consistency between monitors, determine if any EQ needs to be applied (by model, or individual monitor).

Preliminary Analysis: The response of these speakers is seems fairly flat, and fairly consistent within models. Some of the speakers have a bit of a hump around 2K that might need a little taming, and the 10s might need the high end rolled off a little (I can hear the High end difference between the 10s and 12s).  ...Yet the 2K bump that can also make the vocals punch through...

Questions: Anyone think special processing is needed, other than EQ to taste?  If I do any processing, I'm restricted to 4 bands of parametrics on an Aux bus on an 01V96. I use an Alesis DEQ830 8-channel 31-band EQ for ringing...

Is there a different filter or db zoom display that would be more meaningful?  Below I display 1/12 octave filters, which is I think may be more detail than needed.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 03:36:23 PM by Mark McFarlane »
Mark McFarlane

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
Re: Multiple Monitor measurement - EQ suggestions ?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 05:16:20 PM »

Questions: Anyone think special processing is needed, other than EQ to taste?  If I do any processing, I'm restricted to 4 bands of parametrics on an Aux bus on an 01V96. I use an Alesis DEQ830 8-channel 31-band EQ for ringing...
They look within +/- 3 dB, and the response is generally uniform unit to unit, nice.
I'd doubt you will find your vocal mics that close in response.
I'd just assign each to a channel of the DEQ830, flatten them out (depending on your subs, I'd shelf the lows down from flat)  store the copy, transfer the results to a different preset as a start point for each of your usual venues.
If you have not assigned vocal mics to specific monitors, might as well also do that while your playing around.

Arthur Skudra

• SR Forums
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 07:50:10 PM »

Mark that looks pretty darn good!  You might want to tame that 2K bump, but honestly, you're at a point here where leaving "well enough" alone here is probably a good strategy, and listen with your ears to determine what needs to happen next with the stage monitor sound.  Next step is to ring out the monitors with some vocal mics and real people in front of those mics.  Also listen to the off-axis response of the monitor, maybe do some adjustment with the HPF?

Tom Young

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 08:30:55 PM »

I would also measure set ups where 2 of either monitor will be used together. There will be a LF build up plus reduced linearity where they overlap and (therefore) add or subtract...... depending on frequency.

Try to position these as they would actually be on stage.

I personally would pay some attention to the 2kHz bump as it is likely to be within the presence peak of most vocal microphones and therefore may "have issues".
Tom Young
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
203-888-6217

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 06:54:33 PM »

Well, here are a few graphs of the EQ. I used the 4 parametrics in the 01V96.   Mon 1 is a NX-10SMA, Mon5 is a 12SMA. 

The raw curves aren't exactly the same as what I measured a few days ago, but are close.  These new measurements were made through my entire rig and it was probably 80% humidity tonight and about 100F (at 1 AM when I finished)

Maybe some other day I'll try the DEQ830 but the raw mons were 'close enough' that I thought 4 small adjustments would be good enough.  I got within +-1 db for most of the spectrum.  I'm kind-of wishing I had gotten an 8*8 DSP instead of a 4*8.  Having a few more parametrics per output would have been good.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 06:58:20 PM by Mark McFarlane »
Mark McFarlane

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 06:54:33 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 24 queries.