ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cheapest DSP with at least 4 inputs and 4 outputs?  (Read 4188 times)

Jason Lucas

• Hillsboro, OR, USA
Cheapest DSP with at least 4 inputs and 4 outputs?
« on: July 09, 2013, 12:18:12 PM »

Cheapest I've been able to find is the Jupiter Symetrix 4 at around $1000.

Application is fixed install.

Looking for something with at least a 4th order crossover, parametric EQ, delay, and limiting (preferably brick-wall).

Is there anything cheaper than the Jupiter that will work for this?
There are three things I hate: Harsh highs, hollow mids, and woofy bass.

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
Re: Cheapest DSP with at least 4 inputs and 4 outputs?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 02:03:21 PM »

Ashly 4.8SP
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Elliot Thompson

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 02:14:11 PM »

The BBE DS-48 (4 ins/8 outs) should cost around $300 -$350

Best Regards,

Ales Dravinec

• ADRaudio, Slovenia
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 02:16:30 PM »

Cheapest I've been able to find is the Jupiter Symetrix 4 at around $1000.

Application is fixed install.

Looking for something with at least a 4th order crossover, parametric EQ, delay, and limiting (preferably brick-wall).

Jason,

I can't possibly know about their US pricing, but Xilica's XA or XP series will fit your budget and needs.
Over here pricing fits.

Sincerely

duane massey

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 09:12:59 PM »

I've used the Jupiter series and love it. I've used the BBE, not so much. BBE does not have a "store" function, and is "live" all the time, so security covers are a must. The delay times are not suitable for room delays, but adequate for speaker alignment. The architecture is somewhat odd, and the manual sketchy. Once set up they behave well (only had one failure out of maybe 12 installed).
YMMV....
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Elliot Thompson

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 01:34:56 AM »

I've used the Jupiter series and love it. I've used the BBE, not so much. BBE does not have a "store" function, and is "live" all the time, so security covers are a must. The delay times are not suitable for room delays, but adequate for speaker alignment. The architecture is somewhat odd, and the manual sketchy. Once set up they behave well (only had one failure out of maybe 12 installed).
YMMV....

The BBE DS-48 doesn’t require a store function for it does not lose its settings like DBX models that fall within its price point upon turning off the power without having the settings saved. The whole idea is to save multiple presets in your computer and retrieve the settings if/when needed. It follows the same principal as saving Digital Audio Workstation plug-ins settings in an fxb file on your hard drive.

The BBE DS-48 offers a security lock to prevent any tampering from wandering hands. So there is no need to buy a protective panel.

For ground stacking purposes, the delay offered is more than enough. I picked up my first BBE DS-48 five years ago for my B Rig and have yet to encounter any issues. The second one is used with my Protea as the BBE offers more flexibility in terms of HPF settings than my Protea.

The BBE DS-48 is a very straightforward reliable unit. For $300.00 brand new in the box, it can easily pay itself back within one gig. 

Best Regards,

Nicolas Poisson

• Paris, France
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013, 03:39:53 AM »

BBE processors are OEM devices made by Digisynthetic (Chinese manufacturer). I do not know the DS-48, but I have an equivalent of the DS-24 under another brand.

There are differences between the 24 and 48 (number of inputs and outputs, only 31 fixed ISO frequencies for the 24). But one can assume the signal processing is equivalent.

The limiters of the DS-24 have been tested in a French article. The author claimed these were true RMS-limiters, thus efficient for speaker long-term overheating protection (unlike the Behringer 2496).

There are plenty of things that show these BBE/Digisynthetic are entry-level products (limited number of EQ, only on outputs, no graphic, limited delay, vintage RS232 connection, low quality wheel on the 24...). But these units are so cheap that the price/quality ratio is outstanding. They are better and cheaper than other entry level products.

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2013, 07:36:13 AM »

If anyone wants to buy one or two, I know a couple churches that would likely sell their DS48's. 

I've used them a few times, will never spec them for install.  If we have to go cheap, it's typically a 3.6SP. 
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2013, 07:36:13 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 23 queries.