ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Light rig Weirdness  (Read 13281 times)

duane massey

Re: Light rig Weirdness
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2013, 12:33:36 AM »

I don't think I would be comfortable using Cat5 cable for a mobile rig, especially if you are going to run it alongside your audio snake on the floor where people can walk on it. I doubt Ron's issues are in the snake, I suspect he has found the culprit(s) to be the fixtures.
Eventually it would be a decent idea to add a 100' DMX home run, but I'd be interested to hear if the problem persists after going thru all the fixtures.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Ron Hebbard

« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2013, 03:02:45 AM »

I don't think I would be comfortable using Cat5 cable for a mobile rig, especially if you are going to run it alongside your audio snake on the floor where people can walk on it. I doubt Ron's issues are in the snake, I suspect he has found the culprit(s) to be the fixtures.
Eventually it would be a decent idea to add a 100' DMX home run, but I'd be interested to hear if the problem persists after going thru all the fixtures.

Hi Duane!

I'm Ron and I don't believe I had any issues, likely you meant John Roll, the original poster.
I too would like to hear how things go after all the sub-standard internal wiring faults are dealt with.
Fi, as in fee, fi, fo, fum (Sp?), on all off brand XLR style connectors, if there's a use for them I've yet to find it.
There are robust, waterproof, stranded CAT cables available but the best ones likely cost more than 'real' DMX cable.

Mr. Roll, please do keep us informed of your progress.

Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

duane massey

« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2013, 01:05:51 AM »

Sorry, Ron! I really should be awake and wearing my glasses when I am on this site.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: DMX cable
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2013, 12:55:02 PM »

Thanks Scott. I will consider it if things still aren't correct.

Don't "consider it." 

DO IT.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

John Roll

« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2013, 05:21:12 PM »

Do "the Joneses" have malfunctioning light shows, too?  I think the Cat5 option is a better choice than doing nothing.  It meets the DMX standard with lower cost.  Seems like exactly what you're looking for.

No,they don't and they are getting away with it, and they are running bigger light rigs than I am. What I meant was that the bands didn't even notice the malfunctioning lights. I did, it's unacceptable but I had run a smaller light rig this way before with no issues. I do like the Cat5 idea and I'll most likely be picking up a 100' of Cat5 this week and bypassing the snake. Fixing the solder joints in the two fixtures seems to have corrected the weirdness I wrote about originally.

Don't "consider it." DO IT.

OK, I will.......
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 05:22:43 PM by John Roll »
John Roll
JMR Pro Audio

QSC, JBL, Presonus, Audix, K&M, EWI, Furman

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2013, 08:40:02 PM »

Fixing the solder joints in the two fixtures seems to have corrected the weirdness I wrote about originally.
It sounds like you've found and repaired your problem.
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2013, 08:40:02 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 26 queries.