ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Upgrading full range speaker setup.  (Read 8000 times)

George Manis

Upgrading full range speaker setup.
« on: March 21, 2013, 01:30:35 PM »

Hello Everyone,

I currently own two EV ELX112P.  They sound good to me but do not have enough throw, and they are not road worthy.  I am looking for two full range speakers for my smaller gigs that could also be used with a sub or two for bigger events indoors.  Right now I am looking at the FBT Promaxx 14a's and the RCF HD12A's.  The FBT's have to be special ordered which means I have to buy them without listening first.  Does anyone have any experience with either speaker? 

I am open to new ideas and comments!

Thank you in advance!

Fernando Lopez

Re: Upgrading full range speaker setup.
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 02:47:04 PM »

Both choices are very nice and an upgrade from the EV Boxes

What is your budget?

George Manis

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 12:56:56 AM »

Both choices are very nice and an upgrade from the EV Boxes

What is your budget?

Hi Fernando,

Thanks for your reply.  I am looking to spend around $2,500.  I understand that both speakers would be upgrading from my EV's,  I love everything about the FBT (Lightweight, 14 inch woofer in 12 inch box, power. . . )  but I would like to know if anyone has used them and how they play. 

Thanks!

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 02:03:24 AM »

I would give the Yamaha DSR112 a listen if you haven't.  That may save you a little money.  I own both the ELX112P and the DSR112.  The DSR is much louder and the horn sounds much stronger than the EV.  It's also more road-worthy but heavier.  Another contender would be the QSC KW122.

Reggie Kendrick

• Channel Live Productions - raising the bar...
    • Channel Live Productions
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 06:04:05 PM »

Hello Everyone,

I currently own two EV ELX112P.  They sound good to me but do not have enough throw, and they are not road worthy.  I am looking for two full range speakers for my smaller gigs that could also be used with a sub or two for bigger events indoors.  Right now I am looking at the FBT Promaxx 14a's and the RCF HD12A's.  The FBT's have to be special ordered which means I have to buy them without listening first.  Does anyone have any experience with either speaker? 

I am open to new ideas and comments!

Thank you in advance!
I'd recommend the EV ZXa5's.  They have VeRy loud output... most likely the loudest powered 2-way speaker <$2000 each. 

Here's an article that breaks down that FBT Promaxx14a and EV ZXa5.  http://issuu.com/fbtelettronica/docs/fbt_promaxx_comparison_test

These EV's are Made in USA which will most likely result in shorter repair times if you live in America.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 06:06:10 PM by Reggie Kendrick »
Raising the bar...

Atlanta Wedding DJs
Atlanta DJs / Wedding DJs / Prom DJs ...and more

George Manis

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 10:22:44 AM »

Thank you for your replies, you all have been very helpful!!!  I haven't made up my mind yet but I will let you all know!

I'd recommend the EV ZXa5's.  They have VeRy loud output... most likely the loudest powered 2-way speaker <$2000 each. 

Here's an article that breaks down that FBT Promaxx14a and EV ZXa5.  http://issuu.com/fbtelettronica/docs/fbt_promaxx_comparison_test

These EV's are Made in USA which will most likely result in shorter repair times if you live in America.

Phil Graham

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 11:49:01 AM »

Thank you for your replies, you all have been very helpful!!!  I haven't made up my mind yet but I will let you all know!

Just another personal opinion, but the FBT ProMaxx sets my personal gold standard in plastic speakers.

George Manis

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2013, 10:09:10 PM »

I just ordered the FBT's.  I will report back after I have a few gigs with them!

Thanks for all your help!

George Manis

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2013, 12:05:10 PM »

I just ordered the FBT's.  I will report back after I have a few gigs with them!

Thanks for all your help!

OK, so I have played with the FBT's. . . Verdict is they are everything I wished they would be!!!

I just finished doing a three day festival playing in the middle of the event grounds.  I had two FBT's facing one way and my EV's facing the opposite way behind me to get sound all around.  The FBT's had plenty of headroom where the EV's where just a notch below limit.  The Bass from the FBT's made the EV's sound like they had a high pass crossover engaged.  You could clearly hear the bass from FBT's a hundred feet away.  Its not a sub, but you could definitely hear it.  And this was all outside!  I also got numerous compliments from band members and guests.  Super pleased with my purchase.

john sanders

• Eastern Long Island, N.Y.
    • Sonimax Light & Sound
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2013, 04:22:49 PM »

OK, so I have played with the FBT's. . . Verdict is they are everything I wished they would be!!!

I just finished doing a three day festival playing in the middle of the event grounds.  I had two FBT's facing one way and my EV's facing the opposite way behind me to get sound all around.  The FBT's had plenty of headroom where the EV's where just a notch below limit.  The Bass from the FBT's made the EV's sound like they had a high pass crossover engaged.  You could clearly hear the bass from FBT's a hundred feet away.  Its not a sub, but you could definitely hear it.  And this was all outside!  I also got numerous compliments from band members and guests.  Super pleased with my purchase.

Thanks for sharing with us. Yes, these boxes have an excellent reputation.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2013, 04:22:49 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 20 queries.