ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Yamaha CL5 Purchase...?  (Read 21483 times)

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
Yamaha CL5 Purchase...?
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2013, 11:55:26 AM »

I imagine you could go right into pro tools with Dante Virtual Soundcard as long as you have PT9 or later, also.

Or use a JoCo box which gets you WAV files and the ability to move em much easier than with the HD24.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: Yamaha CL5 Purchase...?
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2013, 12:08:54 PM »

This is not entire accurate. While it is true you can view all at the same time, you an get channels 1-48 in one screen and 49-64 in another.

This however requires an external computer running CL Editor with 2 large screens.  On my 1680x1050 screen I can get 48 channels on a screen if I turn off everything in the CL Editor view except dynamics so I can stack the input fader windows 3 high. This gets all the dynamics meters as you say, but makes CL Editor useless for anything else. This is not likely to be a typical setup.

Mac

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
Yamaha CL5 Purchase...?
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2013, 12:29:22 PM »

I really wish the yamaha softwares would allow some sort of customization.  It would be nice if I could create my own custom views.
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Rick Earl

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2013, 02:50:51 PM »

Hi Everyone:

4.   Mixing Monitors from FOH
Any issues here I need to be aware of?  The latest version of StageMix looks like it would be a huge help with both setting up monitors and also allowing talent to tweak their mix via iPad.

8.   Screen In Direct Sunlight
Is the CL5's screen easy to read outside?  Most of my work is indoors, but I do end up outdoors on occasion.

Any other thoughts on the CL5?  At this price point should I be considering other boards?  I’m mostly interested in feedback from those who have actually mixed on one and/or own one.

Even the old version of StageMix makes monitors a breeze.  I also used stage mix to listen to zones as I was dealing with a large outdoor venue with 3 main stacks.

I mixed outside with no cover of the mix position.   Except for direct sunlight at one point, I had no problem reading the screen, scribble strip or color coded soft buttons.     It is NOT the same screen as an M7.

I am a big fan of Dante' for my purposes and it has worked well in every application i have put it in.

Virtual sound card is a great easy to use recording interface.  Works, so far,  with ProTools, Cubase,  and Reaper.

Frederik Rosenkjær

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2013, 03:01:37 PM »

This however requires an external computer running CL Editor with 2 large screens.  On my 1680x1050 screen I can get 48 channels on a screen if I turn off everything in the CL Editor view except dynamics so I can stack the input fader windows 3 high. This gets all the dynamics meters as you say, but makes CL Editor useless for anything else. This is not likely to be a typical setup.

Mac

Nonono - it's available right there on the console!

When you enter the main screen of a dynamics processor you have, at the bottom of the pop-up, three tabs that let you view 1 channel, 8 channels or 48 channels at a time. No need for CL Editor or anything. This screen can also be bookmarked (with Channel Select) for instant access at any time.
Affiliations: Danley Sound Labs, Yamaha (MI)

Josh Hana

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2013, 03:49:04 PM »

When you enter the main screen of a dynamics processor you have, at the bottom of the pop-up, three tabs that let you view 1 channel, 8 channels or 48 channels at a time. No need for CL Editor or anything. This screen can also be bookmarked (with Channel Select) for instant access at any time.

+1
That 8ch overview is really nice for a quick checkup on something like the gates or comps

Mac Kerr

• Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2013, 04:06:48 PM »

Nice. Thanks.

Mac

Adam Robinson

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2013, 08:16:50 PM »

That is a pretty substantial difference from the spec, how was the audio routed, and how did you measure it? Have you measured other consoles with the same routing?

Mac

Mac

The audio was routed as pink noise exiting my interface which was Y'ed to feed a console preamp and the reference input of my interface.  The audio traveled through a stereo aux bus on the console to a console output to my measurement input.  It is the exact same setup I used to test a list of consoles and get numbers that are in-line with many figured I got from certain other manufacturers. 

When I first measured the CL5, I was so taken aback by the 4ms number that I troubleshot the entire system and measured multiple times in multiple manners.  As far as I was able to measure, 4ms is the number for RIO input to RIO output.

Mac Kerr

• Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2013, 08:30:22 PM »

Mac

The audio was routed as pink noise exiting my interface which was Y'ed to feed a console preamp and the reference input of my interface.  The audio traveled through a stereo aux bus on the console to a console output to my measurement input.  It is the exact same setup I used to test a list of consoles and get numbers that are in-line with many figured I got from certain other manufacturers. 

When I first measured the CL5, I was so taken aback by the 4ms number that I troubleshot the entire system and measured multiple times in multiple manners.  As far as I was able to measure, 4ms is the number for RIO input to RIO output.

Do you know how the Dante latency was set? it can be set to as little as 0.25ms, or as much as 5ms (I think). With only 1 switch in line the setting should be 0.25ms, with more jumps between switches the latency needs to be set higher. With most Rio>CL5>Rio applications it should be 0.25ms. With 2 switches between the console and Rio the latency should be set to 0.5ms. This can be set on the console or in Dante Controller I think.

Mac
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 08:40:44 PM by Mac Kerr »

Scott Helmke

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2013, 11:11:23 PM »

Do you know how the Dante latency was set? it can be set to as little as 0.25ms, or as much as 5ms (I think). With only 1 switch in line the setting should be 0.25ms, with more jumps between switches the latency needs to be set higher. With most Rio>CL5>Rio applications it should be 0.25ms. With 2 switches between the console and Rio the latency should be set to 0.5ms. This can be set on the console or in Dante Controller I think.

I haven't loaded up the 1.60 CL5/Rio firmware yet, but as far as I know you have to use the Audinate software to set the latency. By default it's set to 1mS, which means an extra 1.5mS input to output. If you're just doing a simple system you should definitely set that to the lowest time. Bear in mind that if you're using the Rio racks in daisy chain mode the daisy chain counts as a switch.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2013, 11:11:23 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 21 queries.