ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: New trucking regulations go into effect today  (Read 13405 times)

Tom Bourke

• http://www.cwalv.com
Re: New trucking regulations go into effect today
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2013, 01:51:08 PM »

Of course the other thing here is that many cars and trucks seem to think that on the rare occassion that they do use a turn signal that is not a request or an indication that they will change lanes when there is an opening but rather indication that they are coming over no matter what and expect everyone to get out of their way.
Many times I run into drivers who take my turn signal to mean they have to speed up and close the opening before I can get over.  This is regardless of if I am in a small car or my stretch cargo van with trailer.
I have a mild form of Dyslexia that affects my ability to spell.  I do use spell checking to help but it does not always work.  My form of Dyslexia does not affect my reading.  Dyslexics of the world untie! <a href="http://www.cwalv.com" target="_blank">http://www.cwalv.com</a>

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2013, 02:01:57 PM »

Many times I run into drivers who take my turn signal to mean they have to speed up and close the opening before I can get over.  This is regardless of if I am in a small car or my stretch cargo van with trailer.

I recall driving in rush hour traffic in NJ commuting toward NYC, and in downtown Boston back in the '60s. The secret was not to let the other car drivers know that you see them. Once they see you looking at them they have carte blanche to cut you off.  >:( So the trick is knowing who is around you without telegraphing that you know.

Kenmore square was fun where the several lanes merge down to only a few. Not for the meek or timid. it also helped that I was driving an old beater, painted flat gray primer. So it looked like I wasn't afraid to trade some paint, while I never did. 

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
Re: Passing cars and trucks
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2013, 02:21:58 PM »

I've never understood the thought process that makes people slow down when they are passing. I've always felt the less time I spend exposed to the other vehicle the better.

Mac
+1000
Or when you're passing someone and they speed up when you get beside them.....

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2013, 04:52:55 PM »

Same here. (I can only sleep in a car if you are driving).

;) ::) :-[

I hope to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather did.  Not yelling and screaming like the other people in his car.

;)  :o   :)
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2013, 07:29:43 PM »

In Europe we have very strict driving hours rules, and enforce mandatory tachographs on larger vehicles.
+1

Might sound harsh, but these rules were introduced for good reason, and have delivered results.

Roughly summarised, in the UK: Max 56 hours in a week, but you can't do multiple 56 hour weeks back-to back.  45 mins break after 4.5 hours driving.  There are subtleties to it all to help flexibility, but those are some of the simple headliners.

gordonmcgregor

« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2013, 08:04:37 PM »

+1

Might sound harsh, but these rules were introduced for good reason, and have delivered results.

Roughly summarised, in the UK: Max 56 hours in a week, but you can't do multiple 56 hour weeks back-to back.  45 mins break after 4.5 hours driving.  There are subtleties to it all to help flexibility, but those are some of the simple headliners.

The not so subtle one here is that 56 hours is total hours worked so it includes any non driving work you do in a day ie rigging or operating a PA.

Jelmer de Jong

« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2013, 11:42:51 AM »

The not so subtle one here is that 56 hours is total hours worked so it includes any non driving work you do in a day ie rigging or operating a PA.
That's not so different overhere, but without attending the event and watching every employee it's impossible to check what's the truckdriver is doing when the meter says 'idle'. Thats why there is a maximum on working hours per day. Lets say you drive to a venue and arrive at 9AM in the morning after a two hour drive, park your truck after it's unloaded and sleep for the rest of the day. The concert ends at 11.30PM and you are asked to move your truck to the loading dock. This is not possible since you started at 7AM and are for beyond the maximum working hours per day(9 or something like that) altough the total time behind the wheel is a little more then two hours. If you wait a few minutes till 00.01, the next day has started and it's okay to move your truck to the loading dock of the venue. It's even ok to drive back home for 4.5 hours without a break.

gordonmcgregor

« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2013, 12:00:26 PM »

That's not so different overhere, but without attending the event and watching every employee it's impossible to check what's the truckdriver is doing when the meter says 'idle'. Thats why there is a maximum on working hours per day. Lets say you drive to a venue and arrive at 9AM in the morning after a two hour drive, park your truck after it's unloaded and sleep for the rest of the day. The concert ends at 11.30PM and you are asked to move your truck to the loading dock. This is not possible since you started at 7AM and are for beyond the maximum working hours per day(9 or something like that) altough the total time behind the wheel is a little more then two hours. If you wait a few minutes till 00.01, the next day has started and it's okay to move your truck to the loading dock of the venue. It's even ok to drive back home for 4.5 hours without a break.

I'm sure the same thing happens here as well, but I know of one incident where the prosecution used a video clip of a gig from Youtube  as evidence and that along with witness reports got the driver a 24 month ban, fines etc.
Sleeping in a designated bunk on the vehicle does not count as "work" running a sound board all day and night does. If the above driver had rested during the day he could have driven legally, he would then have to take an extended break the next day or cut his hours. The HGV rules are hard to implement and are open to interpretation, personally I'll stay below 3.5 tons and stay in a cheap hotel if needs be. G

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2013, 12:13:06 PM »

Pretty soon google will be driving all the trucks so that should be safer, unless they encounter some microsoft software and get a blue screen while driving..

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2013, 03:26:53 PM »

"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2013, 03:26:53 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 28 queries.