ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: New trucking regulations go into effect today  (Read 13291 times)

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
New trucking regulations go into effect today
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2013, 06:02:21 PM »

I am not sure this is still a safety issues, may be some gamesmanship to create more truck driver jobs. It could backfire and push more freight to trains if trucks become too expensive.

JR

Right now there is a huge shortage of long haul drivers. It IS driving lots of less time critical freight to the rails.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Matt Collins

Re: New trucking regulations go into effect today
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2013, 06:52:33 PM »

Right now there is a huge shortage of long haul drivers. It IS driving lots of less time critical freight to the rails.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
This may be more true than you know. Look at how much money the rail industry spends lobbying the government.

SOURCES:
http://www.opensecrets.org/industries/lobbying.php?cycle=2012&ind=M04

http://www.opensecrets.org/industries/indus.php?ind=M01

http://www.opensecrets.org/industries/indus.php?ind=M04

Darren Scaresbrook

• Adelaide, South Australia
    • Concert Systems Australia
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2013, 11:14:44 PM »

http://www.wnd.com/2013/07/feds-truckers-clash-over-new-safety-rules/?cat_orig=money
Wow, even your new rules seem more lenient than ours over here!

I can drive a max of 5 hours before an enforced break. Breaks must be totally away from the truck, no refuelling etc. etc.
They are very hot on weighbridges and logbooks, some weighbridges also do mechanical checks such as putting the truck on rollers and checking brake performance. It's good from a safety aspect but certainly slows down the trip.

A few studies have been done here comparing driver types ie: car, truck, taxi, young, old, male, female and so on. Truck drivers came out on top as the safest drivers.

Darren

Chris Johnson [UK]

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2013, 07:55:26 AM »

In Europe we have very strict driving hours rules, and enforce mandatory tachographs on larger vehicles (commercial vehicles over 3.5t, so basically anything bigger than a van). Tachographs mean you can fine vehicles for hours overages and speeding in retrospect, since they are submitted to the driving authorities.

To be honest, I'm all for it. Accidents caused by heavy goods vehicles has gone down massively since implementing it.

Riedel Communications

paul bell

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2013, 08:20:43 AM »

In the NYC metropolitan area, truck drivers are lawless cowboys. The hog left lanes of three lane highways, tailgate, speed, take routes restricted to trucks and have no concern for the traffic jams they cause.

The problem is the lack of enforcement by the NYPD. They know they'll get away with it. The few cops who are watching traffic are on "cellphone duty" and won't watch for or issue tickets for other infractions.

Regarding the new Federal laws, if it makes the highways safer, I'm for it.

Matt Collins

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2013, 11:36:25 AM »

In the NYC metropolitan area, truck drivers are lawless cowboys.
I don't think it's just the truck drivers  :P

DavidTurner

New trucking regulations go into effect today
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2013, 12:39:37 PM »

I wonder how this applies to tour bus drivers. We have recently stopped having drivers run over 10 hours or 650 miles and stopped paying overdrvies (we raised the day rate to compensate). Are these going to be reduced as well?

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2013, 01:22:30 PM »

I can't remember the last time I saw a truck driver that clearly didn't see me, while some do ignore me.
You're lucky, it is routine around here to see semis pull over on cars and even when it is clear they realize it they sometimes keep coming, apparently assuming that they are bigger so you will get out of their way.  However, with our traffic that is not always possible and I've seen several cars forced off the road by trucks and a couple end up under semis.

Of course the other thing here is that many cars and trucks seem to think that on the rare occassion that they do use a turn signal that is not a request or an indication that they will change lanes when there is an opening but rather indication that they are coming over no matter what and expect everyone to get out of their way.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2013, 01:43:29 PM »

You're lucky, it is routine around here to see semis pull over on cars and even when it is clear they realize it they sometimes keep coming, apparently assuming that they are bigger so you will get out of their way.  However, with our traffic that is not always possible and I've seen several cars forced off the road by trucks and a couple end up under semis.

Of course the other thing here is that many cars and trucks seem to think that on the rare occassion that they do use a turn signal that is not a request or an indication that they will change lanes when there is an opening but rather indication that they are coming over no matter what and expect everyone to get out of their way.
I have even seen a car drive right into a semi's wheels when two lanes necked down to one, and the dumbass car wasn't paying attention to his surroundings. That truck driver didn't notice or didn't care (that happened up in CT).

I haven't done a lot of truck driving, but enough to appreciate how underpowered most rigs are so they are in a constant effort to maintain momentum, especially around hills. i will generally slow down and give a truck driver access to the only passing lane if he indicates that he wants to pass and sees an opportunity.. It only costs me a few seconds, while he might need to wait until another down hill section of road. 

I am generally more comfortable around trucks than cars, but don't spend much time next to either.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Passing cars and trucks
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2013, 01:47:14 PM »

I am generally more comfortable around trucks than cars, but don't spend much time next to either.

I've never understood the thought process that makes people slow down when they are passing. I've always felt the less time I spend exposed to the other vehicle the better.

Mac

ProSoundWeb Community

Passing cars and trucks
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2013, 01:47:14 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 22 queries.