ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with VENUE and PT Live Recording drops  (Read 5470 times)

Chris Johnson [UK]

Re: Help with VENUE and PT Live Recording drops
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2013, 09:56:44 AM »

...I suspect a Mac Mini with a single Fusion Drive or a MacMini server with SSDs should be able to handle 75 tracks....

My Macbook air has done that many before without skipping a beat. Provided you have quick drives, merely recording audio is much less CPU/Ram intensive than you might think. Protools ram and CPU usage is mainly driven by plugin usage. On a pure recording session, there is much less going on.

More efficient apps like the aforementioned Boom Recorder, are much more efficient.
Riedel Communications

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2013, 11:49:10 AM »

Mr. Jaspers - have you posted this on the DUC (digi user conference) or called AVID on the Venue support line?  No charge for Venue support, but if this is a PT issue, they charge for support after warranty... that' why I suggest you call Venue support first.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Michael Jaspers

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2013, 12:56:42 PM »

Mr. Jaspers - have you posted this on the DUC (digi user conference) or called AVID on the Venue support line?  No charge for Venue support, but if this is a PT issue, they charge for support after warranty... that' why I suggest you call Venue support first.
Hi Tim,
No, I've not posted on DUC or called Venue support; I'm not the person who is using the gear most, but I'm "filling in" right now.  This is definitely after the warranty period.  And the venue has been flawless in operation...just the recordings have been the issue, so I've ASSumed that the issue isn't with the Venue.

I will report back next week when I can get up there again with some of the disk check tools. 

I've also talked with a local PAC guy who has a Venue and he told me to make sure
1. No markers were setup that could stop the recording
2. Possibly change out FW cables
3. Change out the keyboard, if the keyboard is going bad, he had seen ProTools stop recording if there is a bad keyboard

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2013, 01:23:14 PM »

Hard drives are my first suspect here as well. HDs go bad and you've got multiple points of failure. When was the HD rig purchased? You shouldn't need that many drives to do 72 tracks with no processing. If you do end up replacing something you'll likely be able to go with a simpler, faster, cheaper and maybe more reliable solution. For example, an eSATA RAID1 rig with two fast traditional drives would give you sufficient bandwidth and the ability to sustain a failure in real time without disruption. Glyph makes such a product I believe.

Roland Clarke

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2013, 06:10:03 AM »

I would look at the RAM and disc throughput, Firewire might be an issue.  Also check that your set-up on the Mac matches the recommended configuration from Avid.

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2013, 06:47:15 AM »

Hi Tim,
No, I've not posted on DUC or called Venue support; I'm not the person who is using the gear most, but I'm "filling in" right now.  This is definitely after the warranty period.  And the venue has been flawless in operation...just the recordings have been the issue, so I've ASSumed that the issue isn't with the Venue.

I will report back next week when I can get up there again with some of the disk check tools. 

I've also talked with a local PAC guy who has a Venue and he told me to make sure
1. No markers were setup that could stop the recording
2. Possibly change out FW cables
3. Change out the keyboard, if the keyboard is going bad, he had seen ProTools stop recording if there is a bad keyboard

This jogged my memory.  Is PT actually cashing and shutting down or is it just dropping out of record?
There is a setting in the configuration of PT that sets the maximum recording duration for a session.  Be sure that is set to a time limit that is far beyond the time limit that you will need.  Can't recall in PT8 if the program begins the "time" count at "0" position on the PT timeline or if it counts from the start of recorded audio, wherever that may be.

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2013, 06:47:15 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 24 queries.