ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: New trucking regulations go into effect today  (Read 8847 times)

Jeff Bankston

Re: New trucking regulations go into effect today
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 02:42:46 pm »

these regulations are b.s.. my 82 year old dad has a 40 ft long rv and drives it for 12 hours straight at times and he is not under these rules. that rv can kill a person just as easily as a big rig. i can pull a 48 ft goose neck with my f350 and as long as i am  not for hire i can drive however long i want. i went to get a car a while back and borrowed a friends 26 ft enclosed trailer and drove from la to denver before stopping for sleep. that was about 23 hours of straight driving except for pp breakes and sandwhiches to go. my f350 and that trailer is just as dangerous as a big rig. yeah i know a big rig can kill more people but 1 life lost is too many. the point is non commercial drivers in these big rv's and trucks hauling big trailers are not subject to this and thats just stupidity ! as for as i am concerned ALL people that drive an rv should have a medical card and pass a rv driving test just like the big rig drivers. the biggest problem are the 4 wheelers. there were 3 wrong way crashes here in la in a 2 week period and 3 people were killed. during that same time period no big rigs were involed in accidents that were their fault. there were 2 people that ran into the back of a simi and were badly injured.

Steve Alves

• South Florida
    • South Florida Sound
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 02:50:46 pm »

The problem is we keep creating new laws without enforcing the ones already on the books.

"The latest example surfaced last week after a federal probe into the March 28 crash that killed an Illinois State Police trooper revealed that the driver of the semi-truck that slammed into his cruiser had been working more than 14 hours and had fallen asleep at the wheel.

The Chicago Sun-Times reported Thursday that federal records show the driver and United Van Lines have been fined for violating rules requiring drivers to get adequate rest."

If they didn't abide by the old law, why would the new one make any difference.
Steven Alves
South Florida Sound, Fort Lauderdale, FL
www.southfloridasound.com

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 02:59:53 pm »

I am not smart enough to know where that that magic number of hours is, but I perceive a difference in the alertness of long haul divers I see on the local stretch of interstate during my once a week trip..  I recall several years ago it was almost routine to encounter truckers driving while comatose. These guys would hang out in the fast lane at the speed limit and sometimes visibly wander around mostly but not completely in  their lane.  I would generally pass them quickly on the inside hoping to get by without waking them up, and startling them  8)

I can't remember the last time I saw a truck driver that clearly didn't see me, while some do ignore me.

My anecdotal data may be skewed by the fact I only drive one stretch of road, one day a week now, as compared to 5-6 days a week a decade ago. But I perceive a slight shift toward more alert truck drivers from that reduction in hours change several years ago..

I am not sure this is still a safety issues, may be some gamesmanship to create more truck driver jobs. It could backfire and push more freight to trains if trucks become too expensive.

JR
Don't tune your drums half-ass. Listen to what a properly "cleared" drum sounds like.   http://circularscience.com/

Matt Collins

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 03:13:49 pm »

I perceive a slight shift toward more alert truck drivers from that reduction in hours change several years ago..

Red Bull is an amazing drug  :P

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 03:51:58 pm »

MASS does not allow trucks in the outside lanes, and the State Police are merciless when it comes to trucks. I drive the highways between RI and Maine every day and not a day goes by that I don't see 3-6 18 wheelers pulled over by one of our unmarked Suburbans.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013, 04:35:13 pm »

MASS does not allow trucks in the outside lanes, and the State Police are merciless when it comes to trucks. I drive the highways between RI and Maine every day and not a day goes by that I don't see 3-6 18 wheelers pulled over by one of our unmarked Suburbans.

The interstate for many miles in both directions from me is only 2 lanes each way. While extra lanes close to cities, lots of two lane miles. If trucks couldn't ever pass slower trucks they would go crazy. I generally give trucks lots of room to pass each other because i know I can slow down and accelerate many times faster than they can. Good truck drivers are safer than most car drivers... bad truck drivers are probably still safer than most car drivers, but not while they are sleeping.  ::)

JR

Don't tune your drums half-ass. Listen to what a properly "cleared" drum sounds like.   http://circularscience.com/

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2013, 04:41:49 pm »

bad truck drivers are probably still safer than most car drivers, but not while they are sleeping.  ::)

I can only sleep in a car if I'm driving.

Mac

Tom Young

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2013, 05:16:49 pm »

I can only sleep in a car if I'm driving.

Mac

Same here. (I can only sleep in a car if you are driving).

;) ::) :-[
Tom Young
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
203-888-6217

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
New trucking regulations go into effect today
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2013, 05:59:55 pm »

Bob, that is true where there are 3 or more lanes available.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

ProSoundWeb Community

New trucking regulations go into effect today
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2013, 05:59:55 pm »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 22 queries.