ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Speaker Cable Lengths  (Read 6605 times)

Aaron Weidner

Speaker Cable Lengths
« on: June 29, 2013, 01:39:16 PM »

I did a search on the forum trying to do some research about speaker cable lengths and i could only find one article that somewhat hit on the issue. Maybe i was searching for the wrong thing? My current setup includes two crown XTI 1002 and one crown XTI 2002 all bridged, 1 & 2 1002 are for my right and left and the 2002 is bridged down to 4 ohm for my two sub cabs. currently i have 4x 50 ft lengths as well as two XLR cables from the mixer on the left to my gear on the right. the speaker cables are one for each speaker, one to go from the amp to the sub, and one to go from one sub to the other one( no i dont coil my cables but it leaves one heck of a 150 ft mess by that bear! lol ). One of the venues that i use my system at has an odd setup. I will try and post a picture. Would it be alright to get 3 shorter cables for the subs and the right speaker? If i kept the speakers equal can i get shorter cables for the subs, or should i just get a smaller jumper cable for the subs? any suggestions?

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
Re: Speaker Cable Lengths
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 01:42:23 PM »

This has been discussed before... In general length of a speaker run does not matter, but resistance does. Consider fatter wire for longer leg.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Aaron Weidner

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 02:02:02 PM »

This has been discussed before... In general length of a speaker run does not matter, but resistance does. Consider fatter wire for longer leg.

JR

Ok, good to go. I should have mentioned i use 12GA in my current setup.

Robert Piascik

• Westerville, OH (near Columbus)
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2013, 09:54:30 PM »

In such a small set up I can't imagine the length of your cables is going to make any discernible difference.
Pi Entertainment Services
Midas M32R / MR18
Behringer X32R
Danley SH50 / SM80 / TH118 / TH115
Fulcrum Acoustic fa22ac
RCF NX 12SMA
Yamaha DSR112 / DZR10
Powersoft X4 / M50Q
Crown iT8k

sam saponaro

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 05:05:36 AM »

14ga up to 40ft/12ga up to 60ft is the rule I've allways used.Never needed more than that

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2013, 08:13:20 AM »

I did a search on the forum trying to do some research about speaker cable lengths and i could only find one article that somewhat hit on the issue. Maybe i was searching for the wrong thing? My current setup includes two crown XTI 1002 and one crown XTI 2002 all bridged, 1 & 2 1002 are for my right and left and the 2002 is bridged down to 4 ohm for my two sub cabs. currently i have 4x 50 ft lengths as well as two XLR cables from the mixer on the left to my gear on the right. the speaker cables are one for each speaker, one to go from the amp to the sub, and one to go from one sub to the other one( no i dont coil my cables but it leaves one heck of a 150 ft mess by that bear! lol ). One of the venues that i use my system at has an odd setup. I will try and post a picture. Would it be alright to get 3 shorter cables for the subs and the right speaker? If i kept the speakers equal can i get shorter cables for the subs, or should i just get a smaller jumper cable for the subs? any suggestions?
The shorter the better. Yes there are rules for cable length vs size vs impedance. But I have greatly violated them many times and nobody knew any difference

I would challenge most of the people who really push the cable length issue to do a blind test and pick out the different cables
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2013, 09:45:03 AM »

Buy/borrow/rent a long, say 100', 14awg cable and a short, say 5', 10awg cable.  AB them on a main speaker, and a sub.  Then decide where between the two data points you want to end up for your rig for each speaker type.
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2013, 10:50:26 AM »

I would challenge most of the people who really push the cable length issue to do a blind test and pick out the different cables

Now there you go again, bringing reality into the conversation ;)

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2013, 12:41:55 PM »

Now there you go again, bringing reality into the conversation ;)
The thing to remember in audio is to worry about the things that make the biggest differences

Cables are not one of those

Often people get hung up on things like cables that hookup their poor quality speakers and expect a better cable to somehow get better performance out of them

A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2013, 12:58:11 PM »

The thing to remember in audio is to worry about the things that make the biggest differences

Cables are not one of those

Often people get hung up on things like cables that hookup their poor quality speakers and expect a better cable to somehow get better performance out of them
Cables are like most things, they don't make a difference unless they do.

More prevalent in the hifi side than pro, there are snake oil merchants who sell wire for silly amount of money and argue silly claims for differences that mostly don't exist. Wire can make a difference if severely undersized, but generally not a problem with reasonable selections. The hyperbolic advertising raises consumer expectations for wire differences.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2013, 12:58:11 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 24 queries.