ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Loud guitar cabs in small venue equals bad mix!  (Read 28686 times)

Marc Platt

• Classic LAB
Re: Loud guitar cabs in small venue equals bad mix!
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2013, 01:42:49 pm »

So, I think I might TRY it in the near future if I can with minimal resistance test the idea and if it sucks, Ill pull it off and if it seems to help and sounds fine on my side of the line, I will do it when ever I can and report back with my findings either way.
  Thanks for the contributions.
As a child I had dreamed of becoming an engineer. Now all I want to know is, when do I get to drive the train?

Marc Platt

• Classic LAB
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2013, 01:44:20 pm »

This.

It's not the amp, it's the player.
Or are you just a "player hater"?

As a child I had dreamed of becoming an engineer. Now all I want to know is, when do I get to drive the train?

Jamie Chappa

• Arsenic Promotion and Production
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2013, 02:57:00 pm »

I tried this once in a pinch with a heavy winter jacket. It saved the mix and was not horribly noticeable. I always hear the same excuse i wanna feel it.   I think every musician should try doing sound for a loud band it may be the perfect teaching tool.

Cosmo

• SR Forums
  • Northern Colorado, USA
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2013, 05:09:29 pm »

Back in the nineties I did a show with Eric Burdon (member of The Animals) and was very pleased to see his solution to this.  He placed his guitar amp flat on its back just a few feet behind where he stood.  Everyone could hear it (I still miced it) but it was not too loud.

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer.  Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away.  - H.D. Thoreau

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2013, 05:54:17 pm »

I believe Bruce does the same thing.

2x4's, amp stands, Fender tilt-back legs all help to let your ears instead of your ankles hear. If they have to have a full 4x12 stack, tell them to just plug in the top one and use the bottom as a dummy cab. Worked for Pete Townshend, although I wouldn't recommend his stage level, unless your PA resembles what The Who had back in the early 70s...

Marc Platt

• Classic LAB
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2013, 05:55:47 pm »

Cosmo,
 sounds cool but not likely that it will work for these guys I deal with, they will be too afraid of their tone spilling out on the stage or the tubes won't have the correct vintage gravity angle warmth breakup.

Marc Platt

• Classic LAB
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2013, 05:57:31 pm »

Actually it is Pete Townshend playing in the band I want to throw a blanket on....

Marc Platt

• Classic LAB
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2013, 06:01:43 pm »

A long time ago I worked with a band exclusively and I made a special roadcase and we mic'd the cab in the case and the head was on top where it was open. Essentially It was like playing through a pod, total IEMS and a drum shield with bass di only made a strangely quiet stage. It was a treat for me.

EvanKirkendall

• Personal Text?
    • Evan Kirkendall
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2013, 06:14:08 pm »

Another option is a power soak between the amp and speaker.  Lets you drive the tubes hard but lowers the volume.  If the guitarists 'sound' is the speaker breakup, a power soak wont make them happy.

Option 4(my personal favorite) is rather expensive, but takes this suggestion to the next level. Meet my personal favorite box ever: http://www.palmergear.com/pga04.shtml

The Palmer DI was god's gift to earth when I first started touring. :) It lets your guitarist crank the amp up to 11 to get their 'tone' and leaves you with no stage sound & full control of their volume. The sound I get from the Palmer has been the most consistent & 'fattest' tones I've ever heard. Beats the pants off of a mic'd cab. Extra points if you can get said loud guitarist on IEM's. Otherwise, toss a power soak in the chain after the palmer and his amp won't be so loud, and his "tone" will be loud and proud through the Palmer.

However, as Mark said, if he loves that speaker break up, you're shit out of luck with this suggestion too.

Evan
HarfordSound LLC
HarfordSound Facebook

-Your friendly neighborhood dealer for everything!-

*Voted most destructive on mids, 2006*
*Most low end at a rock show, 5 years running*

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2013, 06:59:12 pm »

However, as Mark said, if he loves that speaker break up, you're shit out of luck with this suggestion too.
Evan

Back to the real problem:  the guitar player.

If they don't buy in to working with you, you're left with Ryans edict:

Turn down and work with me or the monitors and PA will be powered down because of YOU. 

I really, really wish I had taken this hard line last weekend, but it didn't seem worth the trouble because I'd still have been stuck with a bad acoustic guitarist who had the worst sounding Martin acoustic/electric I've had the misfortune to hear and the bass player who missed the majority of the changes for four hours.

Thank goodness for ear plugs.   
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2013, 06:59:12 pm »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Up

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 25 queries.