ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]   Go Down

Author Topic: Loud guitar cabs in small venue equals bad mix!  (Read 28760 times)

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
Re: Loud guitar cabs in small venue equals bad mix!
« Reply #100 on: July 20, 2013, 05:07:51 pm »

That sounds like a really good solution.  I suspect that it is a little more expensive, a little more work to make, and uglier than Plexiglas though ;)

I do think that it would dampen the sound better for sure.

It does, but looks ugly and some players actually need people to see their rig in order to feel good.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #101 on: July 20, 2013, 05:55:43 pm »

It does, but looks ugly and some players actually need people to see their rig in order to feel good.

You can usually identify them by their bare shins beneath the trench-coat...
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
« Reply #102 on: July 21, 2013, 07:07:30 pm »

http://www.mojotone.com/amp-parts/amplifier-cabinet-grillcloth
A few yards and a staple gun and some might not even know the difference... Of course, you, Steve and I would...

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #103 on: July 22, 2013, 12:18:14 am »

http://www.mojotone.com/amp-parts/amplifier-cabinet-grillcloth
A few yards and a staple gun and some might not even know the difference... Of course, you, Steve and I would...

Pretty cool idea Ned. cover the plexi/wood/whatever with grill cloth. Nice.! By the way, I continue to say or write plexi when I should be writing or saying LEXAN, for all the obvious reasons.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
« Reply #104 on: July 23, 2013, 03:28:17 pm »

Pretty cool idea Ned. cover the plexi/wood/whatever with grill cloth. Nice.! By the way, I continue to say or write plexi when I should be writing or saying LEXAN, for all the obvious reasons.

thanks - maybe even add a custom logo to it...

Agree with calling plexi LEXAN, although at work I now refer to it as PC (polycarbonate) since we use that as well as ABS, HIPS, PVC and PP. Oh and there's also acrylic, which can be clear and look like plexi, but is different.

Our engineers and trade show guys sometimes tell me things...

Phil Hornung

« Reply #105 on: July 27, 2013, 06:29:15 pm »

Option 4(my personal favorite) is rather expensive, but takes this suggestion to the next level. Meet my personal favorite box ever: http://www.palmergear.com/pga04.shtml

This is another very useful tool for solving this problem.
http://www.drzamps.com/products/z_air_brake.html
It does exactly what it advertises, no change to tone. Works incredibly well. There is also a smaller version available for combo amps with a lower power capacity.

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
« Reply #106 on: July 27, 2013, 09:46:20 pm »

Phil - I own the lower wattage Brake Lite (get it?) and it does slightly change the tone, but it's easily compensated with tone controls. It also makes 100 watt amps without a master volume useful. This is an attenuator  - you still need to connect to speakers - whereas Evan's Palmer is a load box/speaker simulator, and no speaker cab is required, unless you want it for show...

Phil Hornung

« Reply #107 on: July 28, 2013, 11:15:21 am »

Phil - I own the lower wattage Brake Lite (get it?) and it does slightly change the tone, but it's easily compensated with tone controls. It also makes 100 watt amps without a master volume useful. This is an attenuator  - you still need to connect to speakers - whereas Evan's Palmer is a load box/speaker simulator, and no speaker cab is required, unless you want it for show...

Have never actually used the "lite" version. The big one seems to have no change to tone (bigger is better? sometimes...)

The Palmer is very cool, and if you can get away with using one - go for it. But often getting rid of the cab all together isn't acceptable to the player. The air-brake lets them keep the cab on stage, pointing at them however they want, no blanket, no plexi - AND not too loud. Great range too - at #1 it only attenuates very slightly, whereas the "bedroom" setting on the bigger version has a preposterous amount of attenuation.

I've heard of another product (never seen or used) called a "hot plate" that does the same thing, but the resistance it uses in the circuit is dissipated into heat. I'm sure it works, but reports I heard were that it changes the tone depending on how hot it gets, and it can get extremely hot. Having a unit like that near a bunch of rubber jacketed cables just seems like a bad idea to me.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #107 on: July 28, 2013, 11:15:21 am »

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]   Go Up

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 22 queries.