ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multipins  (Read 4848 times)

andrew cupples

Multipins
« on: March 20, 2011, 04:48:31 PM »

Hi everyone,
We use a multi-purpose hall, and currently have to plug our desk into the multicore every Sunday morning, then unplug every Sunday night. Setup time is a bit of an issue, so I was thinking of using some sort of multipin connector to speed things up a bit.

I've had a look, and there seem to be a variety out there, ranging from a fairly cheap Elco one up to expensive Ramlatch ones. Cost is a big factor. What I was planning was basically a short 24 way multicore with two multipin connectors in the middle, probably DIY'd, rather than custom made. Does anyone have experience using or making these things? It looks like it could be a headache...
Andrew

Tom Young

• Global Moderator
Re: Multipins
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 06:47:09 PM »

Hi everyone,
We use a multi-purpose hall, and currently have to plug our desk into the multicore every Sunday morning, then unplug every Sunday night. Setup time is a bit of an issue, so I was thinking of using some sort of multipin connector to speed things up a bit.

I've had a look, and there seem to be a variety out there, ranging from a fairly cheap Elco one up to expensive Ramlatch ones. Cost is a big factor. What I was planning was basically a short 24 way multicore with two multipin connectors in the middle, probably DIY'd, rather than custom made. Does anyone have experience using or making these things? It looks like it could be a headache...
Andrew

Yup. Big headache.

Unless you have a fair amount of experience doing this sort of thing and have youthful eyesight....... I wouldn't go there.

Each pin or socket has to be crimped onto the associated conductor and shield and this must be done very well to avoid noise issues or failures.

You have to buy the crimping tool which may be very expensive (it varies with manufacturer).

Some mulitpins may allow soldering but that is going to be just as much, or more, of a PITA.

And then you need to insert each pin, which requires a specialized tool and if you insert the pin in the wrong hole ...... you have to remove it without damage.

Elco is not the way to go. Ramtech, Whirlwind MASS and other robust multipin connector systems are the way to go.

Save your pennies  ;-)
Tom Young
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
203-888-6217

DonSneed

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 01:54:42 AM »

I just installed three multi-purpose room sound systems, the everyday system consist of a DSP processor with an automatic mixer for 6-channels, for larger events a portable rollaround mixer plugs into a multi pin screw-on snake. I had the 16 channel snake made by Conquest Audio USA with 18 XLR connectors for the mixer & the other end a 18-pin quick disconnect that connects to the DSP unit. On the wall is a quick disconnect plug for the multi-pin snake, we enclosed this connector in a flush mount locking wall enclosure to prevent tampering. The roll around mixer has a middle atlantic sequencer that turns on the main system. I would not make the multi-pin myself, I had it made,  the wall plug I had made with a 18" pigtail with XLR-F, All cables are hidden in the wall. total cost was almost $800.00 for both the 75' multi-pin snake & wall plug. Wasn't cheap but works as design, fast connection & disconnect...most events runs off the automatic mixer in the DSP unit, when they need a sound operator & more channels, than the roll around comes into play...the church really loves this design & quick disconnect... good luck on your mission....

« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 02:14:45 AM by DonSneed »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 01:54:42 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 24 queries.