ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gefen Wireless HDMI System  (Read 6039 times)

Richard Carter

Gefen Wireless HDMI System
« on: September 16, 2013, 12:11:26 PM »

Has anyone used the Gefen Wireless for HDMI Extender system

http://www.gefen.com/kvm/gtv-whd-1080p-sr.jsp?prod_id=10709

We are about to put in three large screen LCDs in a small church (120 seats, 35 x 60ft) and were planning to use Kramer Cat5/6 extenders until I came across this Gefen system.  It seems to have all the right specs - 80ft, non line-of-sight, HDMI - but I know wireless can sometimes be problematical.

This application would use 1 transmitter and 3 receivers to flat screens about 45 ft away so it seems like it should work.

Any thought or feedback would be appresiated

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
Re: Gefen Wireless HDMI System
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 12:55:00 PM »

I noted the ability for a receiver to 'cycle' through up to 8 transmitters but could not see anything that addressed using multiple receivers with a single transmitter.  Because of EDID and the units apparently providing HDCP pass-through you may not be able to pair multiple receivers with a single transmitter.

The specs are that it supports resolutions up to 1080p and distances up to 80 feet, but that "up to" may be critical as it seems to be identifying maximums and not saying that you necessarily will be able to transmit 1080p signals and/or get 80' transmission distances.  And the manual actually says "Maximum extension distance is 80 feet (25 meters) with clear line-of-sight." and that "Obstructions such as walls and furniture may reduce performance and reception distance.", so that 80' maximum distance is apparently predicated on clear line-of-sight.

That's enough that I would certainly try to confirm the intended application with Gefen.

Richard Carter

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 01:22:28 PM »

I noted the ability for a receiver to 'cycle' through up to 8 transmitters but could not see anything that addressed using multiple receivers with a single transmitter.  Because of EDID and the units apparently providing HDCP pass-through you may not be able to pair multiple receivers with a single transmitter.

The specs are that it supports resolutions up to 1080p and distances up to 80 feet, but that "up to" may be critical as it seems to be identifying maximums and not saying that you necessarily will be able to transmit 1080p signals and/or get 80' transmission distances.  And the manual actually says "Maximum extension distance is 80 feet (25 meters) with clear line-of-sight." and that "Obstructions such as walls and furniture may reduce performance and reception distance.", so that 80' maximum distance is apparently predicated on clear line-of-sight.

That's enough that I would certainly try to confirm the intended application with Gefen.

I appreciate the input regarding the matching of receivers to a single transmitter - hadn't thought about that.  I have found the receivers offered separately online but the Gefen WEB site ony offers extra transmitters so definitely needs checking.

The application is line of site about 35-40 feet so I am less worried about that.

Richard Carter

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 08:19:52 PM »

I heard back from Gefen Tech Support:

My Original Question - I would like to use this product in my church.  However, I want to have one video source (transmitter) and three LCD TVs (receivers) connected to it.  At the moment, I plan just Full HD video (HDMI source) with no audio or control.  Is this possible?  If not one transmitter and three receivers, can I have 3 separate systems all operating in the same room?  Distance is about 45 feet and line of sight, no walls.

Answers:

"currently you can have upto 8 senders and 1 receiver but not the other way around. Also you can have upto 4 pairs (senders & receivers) in one room as long as the sender units are 1 foot apart from each other."

"I forgot to mention the GTV-WHD-1080P-LR-BLK units can extend 100 feet with no line of sight, aslo can go through walls. The GTV-WHD-1080P-SR units can extend 80 feet but requrire line of sight."

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 01:12:26 PM »

In very general terms wired is more reliable then wireless.  If the screens are going to be permanently mounted I would run the wires.  Your running AC power anyway.
Not to Code

Richard Carter

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 07:24:41 PM »

In very general terms wired is more reliable then wireless.  If the screens are going to be permanently mounted I would run the wires.  Your running AC power anyway.

This is something I believe also but the cost of a decent wired system (Kramer PT571/572) is around $340 per node plus cable and installation costs.  At around $250, the Gefen looks attractive both in cost and simplicity of installation.  BTW, with the Kramer units, you only need power at one end.

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2013, 04:03:16 PM »

Is part of your instillation cost for running AC power to the video monitor?  Is so, this might be of interest.
http://www.altinex.com/index.php?q=MUSE
Not to Code

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2013, 04:03:16 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 25 queries.