ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Multi zone processor recommendation  (Read 12423 times)

eric lenasbunt

• Bunt Backline Event Services, LLC
Multi zone processor recommendation
« on: June 26, 2013, 10:07:16 AM »

Hey guys, looking for product advice to replace an old (original model) Peavey media matrix.
 We no longer have any Windows 95 computers laying around and we need to make some adjustments.

I need to separate into a total of 13 zones (already have amps wired for this, just need to process). I need to properly delay and EQ each zone.
I would just go with something like a pair of DBX Driveracks, but I do need to be able to easily divide the system into 2 separate systems. (Air wall divider)

Any recommendations on product and a simple way to set it up for the volunteers. I was thinking 2 presets, 1 for whole system, 1 for 2 systems. (When divided that way 5 zones make up one system, 8 zones on the other.)

I am sure I left out details.

Thanks!

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
Re: Multi zone processor recommendation
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 11:00:18 AM »

I need to separate into a total of 13 zones (already have amps wired for this, just need to process). I need to properly delay and EQ each zone.
I would just go with something like a pair of DBX Driveracks, but I do need to be able to easily divide the system into 2 separate systems. (Air wall divider)
So 13 inputs directly to 13 outputs or does the processor need to handle other related input or signal mixing and/or routing?

How do you address any other related aspects of the operable partition operation such as lighting, thermostats/HVAC, projection, etc.?  Is there some devices that provides, or can provide, indication of the partition status to other systems or do you address each system individually?

Jason Lavoie

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 11:39:32 AM »

Any recommendations on product and a simple way to set it up for the volunteers. I was thinking 2 presets, 1 for whole system, 1 for 2 systems. (When divided that way 5 zones make up one system, 8 zones on the other.)

I'm having trouble picturing how one airwall has 5 zones on one side and 8 zones on the other.. unless there are many airwalls but only one main one that you care about? or is it one zone on each side plus several auxiliary but related zones?

And I have the same questions as Brad.. do you have inputs for each of the 13 zones, or are you talking about just routing a radio at potentially 13 different volumes?
There is no way to choose appropriate hardware (let alone the best solution) without knowing what all of the inputs and outputs are and what the purpose of each zone is.

Jason

eric lenasbunt

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 01:35:54 PM »

So 13 inputs directly to 13 outputs or does the processor need to handle other related input or signal mixing and/or routing?

How do you address any other related aspects of the operable partition operation such as lighting, thermostats/HVAC, projection, etc.?  Is there some devices that provides, or can provide, indication of the partition status to other systems or do you address each system individually?

The other systems are independent. The lobby feed also runs through a separate distribution amp, so using a matrix from the board makes sense.

I only really need to process 6 outputs.

eric lenasbunt

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 01:38:21 PM »

I'm having trouble picturing how one airwall has 5 zones on one side and 8 zones on the other.. unless there are many airwalls but only one main one that you care about? or is it one zone on each side plus several auxiliary but related zones?

And I have the same questions as Brad.. do you have inputs for each of the 13 zones, or are you talking about just routing a radio at potentially 13 different volumes?
There is no way to choose appropriate hardware (let alone the best solution) without knowing what all of the inputs and outputs are and what the purpose of each zone is.

Jason

The room is basically 3 sections, LCR off the board, aux fed subs.
The L side ends up on one side of the air wall the CR on the other. They have an Auto mixer input on the L side and that feeds into the Matrix mixer. That would be one input on the processor. The board feeds from the main console would be the other inputs.

Does that make sense?

eric lenasbunt

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 01:48:22 PM »

The current system has the old matrix processor which has presets on the front to separate or combine the systems.

So one system is driven by an auto mixer for 5 zones. The other 8 zones are then driven only by the main FOH consoles LCR outs.
Then all 3 zones are also controlled by LCR when switched to the "combined" preset at the processor.

Currently the input gain is jacked way to high and the zones need to be properly delayed from front to back.

I am thinking we can get this done with 2 Ashley 4.8SP units. I would just need to set up 2 presets on the processors for the two configurations. I am feeling good about the solution at this point on the day, but someone on here always thinks of something I didn't/wouldn't.

Also, maybe someone knows of a better product for the solution.

Budget is not super hard, but pretty low, like trying to stay at or under $3k for the hardware.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2013, 08:14:10 PM »

There are all sorts of different processors available-and much better than "strapping" a couple of smaller units together.

Do you need to be able to switch programs via a computer or switch contacts-or front panel access?

As with anything-it is important to properly address the real needs-before deciding what would be the best approach.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2013, 10:18:51 PM »

Forget the fixed architecture platforms for starters. BSS Soundweb, Media Matrix Nion, QSCQsys, and many offerings from Biamp should be reviewed based on your exact needs. I'm sure there are others.
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

jason misterka

Re: Re: Multi zone processor recommendation
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2013, 10:46:08 PM »

I am thinking we can get this done with 2 Ashley 4.8SP units. I would just need to set up 2 presets on the processors for the two configurations. I am feeling good about the solution at this point on the day, but someone on here always thinks of something I didn't/wouldn't.

Also, maybe someone knows of a better product for the solution.

Budget is not super hard, but pretty low, like trying to stay at or under $3k for the hardware.

May not be a perfect fit but look at Ashly NE 24.24M loaded 8x16.  Quality build, sound good, and easy software.  Should fit your budget.

You can install one of several styles of remote controls to change presets without a computer.

Jason

eric lenasbunt

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2013, 11:40:07 PM »

There are all sorts of different processors available-and much better than "strapping" a couple of smaller units together.

Do you need to be able to switch programs via a computer or switch contacts-or front panel access?

As with anything-it is important to properly address the real needs-before deciding what would be the best approach.

Front panel or remote access would be best to be able to do a simple push button change between the two systems and one.  Computer access will not be needed beyond my initial setup.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2013, 11:40:07 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 25 queries.