ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: SOUNDCRAFT Expression user/owner/interested persons thread  (Read 22734 times)

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
Re: SOUNDCRAFT Expression user/owner/interested persons thread
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2013, 11:10:09 PM »

I want to create separate monitor mix's for 4 vocal channels which are located on slot 9,10,11, and 12 of layer A. I want individual volume and tone for each monitor (layer "C"???). Can anyone give me a step by step button by button script on how to do this. I may have a spare hour tomorrow night.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Jerry Prince

« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2013, 06:58:01 PM »

I want to create separate monitor mix's for 4 vocal channels which are located on slot 9,10,11, and 12 of layer A. I want individual volume and tone for each monitor (layer "C"???). Can anyone give me a step by step button by button script on how to do this. I may have a spare hour tomorrow night.

To set up a monitor mix. First make sure your on layer A with the inputs you want to send to the monitor mix. Now you have 14 MIX buttons above you fader section. Mix 1-8 default as pre send and 9-14 are set as post. Now select and push what MIX button you want to send your vocals to, all the faders should glow yellow showing it is a pre fade. Mix 9-14 are post from default and all the faders would glow green.

Now that you have pushed the mix button you want to send the vocals to and the faders are glowing yellow, all you have to do is turn on the channels you want in that mix and turn them to the volume you want each channel. Also when you have your mix button on, your mono master fader is then your master fader for that mix. If you push the SEL button on the mono master fader that is controling that mix and hit the either GEQ botton that will allow you to EQ that monitor mix. That is how to send channels to a monitor mix and EQ that mix. Then when you deselect that mix your faders will go back to input faders as always.

It is also the same way you would make a sub mix except you would use MIX 9-14 and the faders would glow green. You would then select the channels you want to send to that mix. This part is alittle more confusing because you have to deselect all those channels out of you LR or Mono mix on your input faders and then go to Layer C and hit the SEL button on that output channel and hit the LR or Mono mix to send that bus to that mix.

I hope this helps.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 07:27:27 PM by jerry prince »

Nils Erickson

• San Francisco
« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2013, 08:19:14 PM »

Bob,

Jerry's instructions are good.  When you get comfortable with this, it is extremely efficient.  Basically, you have sends on faders for each mix.  The only things that can hang you up is not being aware which layer you are on, or by trying to mix FOH from your monitor layer... those are pretty easy things to do at first for a guy used to an analog desk.  Watch your fader colors, that actually helps.

Cheers,
Nils

Nils Erickson

• San Francisco
« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2013, 08:20:26 PM »

Oh, and by they way, my mini stagebox 32 showed up yesterday... haven't got a chance to set it up yet, but that is pretty exciting.

Nils

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2013, 11:54:59 PM »

Jerry,
I set up 4 mixes for 4 monitors and 4 people in about 10 minutes. Even better is having a separate EQ for every channel in every mix and faders that snap to attention when I press the mix button. After creating the first mix light dawned on marble mountain. I no longer think in twisty turney, I think in uppy downy.  Thanks.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

Jesse gray

« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2013, 04:07:15 PM »

I have been interested in in getting a new digital board. Ive looked at a couple different entry-level brands(studio live, x32, and the expression.) I really like the soundcraft board because if it's simplicity. I not only have to learn it, but I also have to teach volunteers how to use it as well. Having it layer out in an analog will definitely speed up the learning process. I was wondering if anyone had thoughts the Expression over the Performer series. I know the latter is triple the cost, but are the extras worth it? I really like the idea of having scribble strips and a dmx out. But if I get an expression board, I can get 3 for the price 1 performer.

I am trying to get a digital board for one of my venues, and then two for another so I can run monitors and FOH separately. So is it worth it to get just one board with more eq options, dca's and vca's, scribble strips, and the option to run my lights all from one board; or should I get three, still great boards, for the same amount?

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2013, 05:26:08 PM »

Looks at the Allen Heath GLD if you want a step up, also.

Performer does have other noteworthy upgrades. More inputs to mix, all 4 EQ bands are fully parametric which is sort of a big deal, VCAs.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 06:20:11 PM by Samuel Rees »

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2013, 06:46:09 PM »

A pair of Expressions tied together would make a wonderful FOH / Monitor setup.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber