ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Case foam causing corrosion?  (Read 9794 times)

doug wilson

Case foam causing corrosion?
« on: June 24, 2013, 05:08:13 PM »

Is anyone having problems with items stored in cases where the metal parts are corroding or changing color? I'm guessing the foam is off gassing. I've had the metal parts on a USBPre and a Fender Twin change colors. I suspecting the foam in imported cases.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
Re: Case foam causing corrosion?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 05:13:02 PM »

Some bargains are not as cheap as they first appear.

If a country doesn't bother to keep the food supply safe, they aren't going to be too worried about case foam.

name names... so others don't have to suffer similar lessons.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

doug wilson

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 09:41:24 PM »

One is Vanguard, the other EWI.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 10:20:33 PM »

have you asked their customer service about it?

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

RYAN LOUDMUSIC JENKINS

• Az Concert Sound Solutions
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 12:41:57 AM »

One is Vanguard, the other EWI.

I have somewhere around 40+ EWI cases and absolutely no problems.

What is the humidity like where you are?  Do you open cases and let your gear air out after shows in very humid weather?   It is bone dry where I am so the chances of getting rust or corrosion is almost zero here.

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 10:05:52 AM »

Are any of these unnamed metal things touching each other?  Dissimilar metals form a battery (particularly when moisture is present).  That would certainly cause color change, corrosion/pitting, and other nastiness.  The answer could be as easy as putting the unnamed metal things in separate little bags or getting some compartmentalized foam to keep them from touching.  It certainly wouldn't hurt to put some desiccant in the case to absorb moisture.
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

doug wilson

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 10:20:36 AM »

I have an email in to EWI customer service. The Vanguard case came with the USBPre. I have two, put the second one in the case and it changed colors as well. Humidity is not high here and cases are stored in heated indoor space.

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2013, 10:58:55 AM »

I have an email in to EWI customer service. The Vanguard case came with the USBPre. I have two, put the second one in the case and it changed colors as well. Humidity is not high here and cases are stored in heated indoor space.
Just because they are stored in a heated indoor space does not rule out moisture.  Any temperature difference (like when you bring it in from outside) will produce condensation.  Try the desiccant (if you're like me, you probably throw these things away all the time).  This is an interesting topic - please keep us informed with the progress.  I'd be surprised if any case manufacturer knew the exact chemical makeup of their foam, but they might know who to call to find out.
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

Mike Reigh

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 09:05:48 PM »

There's an old trick when putting firearms into foam cases by spraying WD-40 between the foam and case.  While I wouldn't do it with electronics, the water displacing properties really helps keep bluing from getting rusty.  I agree with the condensing that's going on, and the foam is just sponging it in.

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2013, 12:32:39 PM »

Just because they are stored in a heated indoor space does not rule out moisture.  Any temperature difference (like when you bring it in from outside) will produce condensation.  Try the desiccant (if you're like me, you probably throw these things away all the time).  This is an interesting topic - please keep us informed with the progress.  I'd be surprised if any case manufacturer knew the exact chemical makeup of their foam, but they might know who to call to find out.

If the case was made here in the US than they would be required.  An MSDS sheet should be available on the foam in case there is an indecent like someones child just took a bite from my foam???  What will the doctors do to correct the problem?   Look up MSDS formula 409 

http://www.local510.org/msds_sheets/409_MSDS.pdf

This is an example to review.  Most liquids should be able to be researched like this along with various other items.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2013, 12:32:39 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 24 queries.