ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Anybody have thoughts on the Allen & Heath QU-16?  (Read 22223 times)

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
Anybody have thoughts on the Allen & Heath QU-16?
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2013, 03:19:48 PM »

Thanks for all the comments. Thought that digital graphic eq's would give full range of cutting and boosting, but makes sense.

Working with a consultant to retrofit, but I'm doing additional legwork on the personal monitoring situation.

Proposed system is

2x EV Sx100+ (currently owned)
2x JBL STX818S
powered by 2x Crown 3500

I know the JBL's don't come with crossovers. If there are any other suggestions for a model with crossovers that's as universally liked, I'm game to suggest it. The main issue we have in my space is clarity, as it's quite echo-y. I don't think we'll be driving anything hard, as the goal is to have plenty of headroom (the current system without subs actually pushes out good enough volume, although it's being pushed a little hard I think).

Why don't you just get a real crossover and speaker processor like a drive rack? It's unusual to do the crossover in the board. It seems downright silly to choose a digital mixer based on this.

What do you mean you thought the graphics would give the full range of cutting and boosting?

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: Anybody have thoughts on the Allen & Heath QU-16?
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2013, 03:42:55 PM »

Thanks for all the comments. Thought that digital graphic eq's would give full range of cutting and boosting, but makes sense.

Working with a consultant to retrofit, but I'm doing additional legwork on the personal monitoring situation.

Proposed system is

2x EV Sx100+ (currently owned)
2x JBL STX818S
powered by 2x Crown 3500

I know the JBL's don't come with crossovers. If there are any other suggestions for a model with crossovers that's as universally liked, I'm game to suggest it. The main issue we have in my space is clarity, as it's quite echo-y. I don't think we'll be driving anything hard, as the goal is to have plenty of headroom (the current system without subs actually pushes out good enough volume, although it's being pushed a little hard I think).

Now that you have listed the speakers it's clear all you want to do is high pass the mains and low pass the subs. This is a situation where you could get away with an analog crossover. The use of a dedicated speaker processor will give you much more control over the speakers and allow you to fine tune their response much better. If you are planning to use the subs in an "aux fed" setup you can just use the crossover on the aux out that feeds the subs, and leave your mains full range. If you want to run the subs and the mains as a biamped full range system use it to both low pass the subs and high pass the mains. If you use something like the Behringer DCX2496 ($350) you will then be able to optimize your speaker systems with eq specific to the speakers and set the delay offset between your subs and mains. You will also be able to set limits to provide some degree of protection for the speakers.

Mac

Sean Hennessey

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2013, 12:34:29 PM »

dbx driverack PA plus has about 7 days left on the 100 dollar rebate.  can get it for cheaper than the behringer this way if you go through a good retailer.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2013, 03:20:49 PM »

dbx driverack PA plus has about 7 days left on the 100 dollar rebate.  can get it for cheaper than the behringer this way if you go through a good retailer.
The PA series are very limited in features - especially delay time and routing options. It would probably be OK for the OP today, but if he ever upgrades to more gear or does a permanent install of his gear, it will not be adequate. The Behringer would actually be a better buy.

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
Anybody have thoughts on the Allen & Heath QU-16?
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2013, 04:30:35 PM »

The PA series are very limited in features - especially delay time and routing options. It would probably be OK for the OP today, but if he ever upgrades to more gear or does a permanent install of his gear, it will not be adequate. The Behringer would actually be a better buy.

Also has AES input so he can skip the conversion.

Keith Holmes

« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2013, 08:41:27 AM »

Hi - I received my QU-16 last week and used it over the weekend for a youth Summer Camp. Being used to analogue it took a while to get my head round the layers and different mix combinations but eventually got it working with Mix 1 feeding the FX3 and Mixes 3&4 being the stage monitors. I was running the original firmware and unfortunately the board locked up so that although there was still audio coming from the person speaking through the system - none of the controls were responding which was particularly concerning as the band were on a group mute so they wouldn't be live.

The compere noticed I had an issue and the board rebooted in a commendably quick time. 3 more 'shows' went like clockwork. I even did multitrack recording to a Samsung S3 portable 1TB drive which worked well. You just have to factor in time for arming the recording but once thats done hit play and forget about it till the end. I noticed the freq and width parameters were reversed in the GUI compared to the physical knobs but thats been fixed in the firmware released this week.  Looking to get a suitable rack case for it but Thomann are quoting circa £300 for one which is a bit rich at this time for me! I plan to take it to church the next time I'm on sound to see how we get on - looking forward to see the reaction and not having to peer through a rack of compressors/gates/GEQ's to see the person speaking!

Hi all,

I was wondering if anybody had experience with the new QU-16 from Allen and Heath. I currently have the A&H ZED420 and I was looking to upgrade my setup with personal monitoring and with some better DSP.

I'm not at all an expert in digital mixers, but this seems like a bargain since it eliminates the need to purchase:

• Aviom AN-16/i
  • ME-U
  • Driverack 260
  • Individual channel compression

My biggest concern at this point is the quality of the DSP on the main mix. My guess (uninformed) is that the Driverack 260 might have an advantage, but I'd love to be told I'm wrong, so I can go ahead and purchase this sweet piece of gear without reservations. If the onboard DSP isn't up to snuff, there isn't any way to augment it, so I'm sure you guys can understand the shyness. For what it's worth, the official line is that the DSP is the same as the GLD line, although I'd rather hear it from you guys. As we set up and break down every week (shared space), having the rack mount would actually be a huge convenience.

Product description page here: http://www.allen-heath.com/uk/Products/pages/ProductDetails.aspx?catId=Qu16&ProductId=Qu16&SubCatId=

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2013, 10:59:30 AM »

Haha that reversed GUI / knob Q control thing has been bugging me on LS9s for years!

Duane David

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2013, 12:12:56 PM »

Hi all,

I was wondering if anybody had experience with the new QU-16 from Allen and Heath. I currently have the A&H ZED420 and I was looking to upgrade my setup with personal monitoring and with some better DSP.

I'm not at all an expert in digital mixers, but this seems like a bargain since it eliminates the need to purchase:

• Aviom AN-16/i
  • ME-U
  • Driverack 260
  • Individual channel compression

My biggest concern at this point is the quality of the DSP on the main mix. My guess (uninformed) is that the Driverack 260 might have an advantage, but I'd love to be told I'm wrong, so I can go ahead and purchase this sweet piece of gear without reservations. If the onboard DSP isn't up to snuff, there isn't any way to augment it, so I'm sure you guys can understand the shyness. For what it's worth, the official line is that the DSP is the same as the GLD line, although I'd rather hear it from you guys. As we set up and break down every week (shared space), having the rack mount would actually be a huge convenience.

Product description page here: http://www.allen-heath.com/uk/Products/pages/ProductDetails.aspx?catId=Qu16&ProductId=Qu16&SubCatId=

This looks like a great board! I've played with the GLD series and was impressed with the ease of use and sound quality. I've always liked Allen & Heath products, good quality and decent prices. As for speaker processing, IMHO I would suggest a higher end model DSP with a digital input.That would keep the ADC and DAC to a minimum. I always recommend keeping the signal chain digital as long as is practical and stick with the higher end brands EAW, BSS Lake Systems, and the upper end Driverack systems.  I also like the ability to connect to a wireless AP and play with the system settings while walking around the room. They are pricey for sure, but you can't put a price on great audio!

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber