ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anybody A/B Crown XTI Vs. I-Tech series  (Read 17415 times)

Rick Powell

Re: Anybody A/B Crown XTI Vs. I-Tech series
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2013, 06:20:44 pm »

I think the XTI6000 vs the I-Tech 4000 is a close comparison right?

I really want to get new sub amps, but hesitant to get the old I-Techs (Crown charging through the nose for repairs or just not supporting them anymore). The new Macro Techs look nice since I already have all the processing in the UX3600, but If i can save some decent money and get pretty much the same thing with the XTI I might go that route.

Josh

I was not digging the xti6000 (older model) on subs; it was OK but lacked oomph.  The change to an ITech 6000 was pretty much night and day.  All the xti and I series amps need to have a robust AC supply to ge the most out of them.  The old iron amps like MA5000 sounded great until the point where they'd trip the breaker.  The new technology will not trip the breaker as easily but will sound noticeably pinched as they run out of available draw current.

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2013, 06:59:16 pm »

I was not digging the xti6000 (older model) on subs; it was OK but lacked oomph.  The change to an ITech 6000 was pretty much night and day.  All the xti and I series amps need to have a robust AC supply to ge the most out of them.  The old iron amps like MA5000 sounded great until the point where they'd trip the breaker.  The new technology will not trip the breaker as easily but will sound noticeably pinched as they run out of available draw current.

How does an amp know when it's running close to the breakers limit?  I would argue it has no clue.
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
Anybody A/B Crown XTI Vs. I-Tech series
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2013, 09:19:16 pm »

How does an amp know when it's running close to the breakers limit?  I would argue it has no clue.
It doesn't. Why do you ask?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
Anybody A/B Crown XTI Vs. I-Tech series
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2013, 09:34:24 pm »

I think the XTI6000 vs the I-Tech 4000 is a close comparison right?

I really want to get new sub amps, but hesitant to get the old I-Techs (Crown charging through the nose for repairs or just not supporting them anymore). The new Macro Techs look nice since I already have all the processing in the UX3600, but If i can save some decent money and get pretty much the same thing with the XTI I might go that route.

Josh

If you have all the processing, why get an amp with DSP?

John Sabine

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2013, 09:57:45 pm »

Since the original post was about one series of amps having significantly better sounding based than another on the same system wouldn't damping factor of the amp have an effect on sound seeing as
The only variable would be the amps themselves?
Well, you did ask for it... You need to look at complete system damping factor. An amps damping factor spec doesn't matter that much!!

The reason i-Techs sound much better then the XTi is not only with the i-Tech being so good but also with the XTi being pretty bad at sub duty. Don't get me wrong I really like Crown products but the XTi on just wasn't cut for sub duty.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 12:31:43 pm by John Sabine »
"I think it needs more barn"

John Sabine

« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2013, 12:43:54 pm »

http://www.trueaudio.com/post_013.htm

Ok, I can see how I've been drinking the marketing cool aide for years about damping factor. Still, I've been doing this for over 26 years (at a much lower level than many of you) and have to say that through years of listening tests, including multiple brand tests where I would order comparable amps from multiple manufacturers and listen to them on the same speaker system in order to decide which brands to sell and how to present them, amps with a higher damping factor have always had tighter more defined bass. Could this be because to produce an amplifier that has a higher damping factor you would use better design and higher quality parts so even though damping factor itself plays little role in sound quality, the number is an indicator of quality that effects other aspects of how an amp sounds?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 12:48:47 pm by John Sabine »
"I think it needs more barn"

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2013, 04:44:41 pm »

http://www.trueaudio.com/post_013.htm

Ok, I can see how I've been drinking the marketing cool aide for years about damping factor. Still, I've been doing this for over 26 years (at a much lower level than many of you) and have to say that through years of listening tests, including multiple brand tests where I would order comparable amps from multiple manufacturers and listen to them on the same speaker system in order to decide which brands to sell and how to present them, amps with a higher damping factor have always had tighter more defined bass. Could this be because to produce an amplifier that has a higher damping factor you would use better design and higher quality parts so even though damping factor itself plays little role in sound quality, the number is an indicator of quality that effects other aspects of how an amp sounds?
In the "ol days" generally an amp with a higher damping factor just sounded better-tighter etc.

However things have changed.  A number of years ago I did some testing (purely listening) on a good number of amps with wide ranges of damping factor.  All going through the same sub and none driven to clip.

The amp with the highest damping factor (4000 or so) was the first one to be dismissed.

The one with the lowest (400 I think-and was also the cheapest amp in the bunch) hung in with the "big dogs".

I didn't mention any names as none of these have been manufactured in quite a few years.

All this is saying is that damping factor is one of those "overrated" specs. The cable and connectors in your system easily "swamp" any large number the amp provides.

A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Sean Hennessey

« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2013, 11:45:56 pm »

I'd still like to hear an Itech 5000hd and 4000 limited to around 60 volts compared to an xti 4k and 6k limited to the same (60 volts as thats nearing the output limit of the xti 4k).   I have no doubt the itechs would sound better when hooked up to a 728... but thats to be expected as it can benifit from the extra power that an Itech can supply.  also... by having a much higher voltage output overall the the itechs could probably eat a 60 volt output signal for breakfast.

I'm always on the lookout for used IT 4k or 5k hds...  havnt found any in my price range yet (esp since I picked my xti 4ks up for around 700 new after rebate lol)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2013, 11:45:56 pm »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 22 queries.