ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Anybody A/B Crown XTI Vs. I-Tech series  (Read 17435 times)

Spenser Hamilton

Re: Anybody A/B Crown XTI Vs. I-Tech series
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2013, 01:39:47 am »

what differences do you notice?  I currently run an xti 4002 on subs, limited at Sixty volts...  I've been considering updating to an IT4k, or IT5k HD whenever funds permit.

Tighter, heavier, <insert other adjective here> low end. You need to hear it, I ran - and sometimes still do run - XTi4Ks on subs and while they get the job done, the acquisition of an iTech 6K just opened my eyes to what a 728 is really capable of. There are a number of whitepapers on the Crown website that explain what goes inside the iTech better than I ever could.

My reply was in regards to his proposed changing from a PLX on the tops and RMX on the subs to other amps of equivalent power output, not purely his question in the title.

Fair enough, I've never had a chance to compare the RMX directly to the iTech.
Technical Director - Chatham Capitol Theatre/Kiwanis Theatre

royaljenner

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2013, 08:00:45 am »

Tighter, heavier, <insert other adjective here> low end. You need to hear it, I ran - and sometimes still do run - XTi4Ks on subs and while they get the job done, the acquisition of an iTech 6K just opened my eyes to what a 728 is really capable of. There are a number of whitepapers on the Crown website that explain what goes inside the iTech better than I ever could.

I have had the same experience.  Xti4000 on a pair of growlers, nice. 

Switched to an itech8k (with limiters 1000 rms, 2000 pk) and the growlers came alive. 

It is an absolute difference you have to hear to appreciate.  It is NOT a minor difference.  Think back to when you first added a sub to your system... It pretty much like that. You will be adding a properly powered sub to your system and you will take notice.  The price difference isn't just because of marketing jargon or DSP features (and yes they are useful, especially the limiters, peak and rms).

My xti's are now on tops duty only, with sub presets saved in case of a dreaded amp snafu.

Good luck.

John Sabine

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2013, 09:01:07 am »

At the risk of provoking the ire of the true gurus on the site I believe what youre hearing is a difference in the amps ability to control the speakers. One amp has a damping factor of >500 but the other has a damping factor of >5000. I believe that his is why one sounds so much better than the other. It's probably also a contributing factor as to why one amp costs twice what the other does.

Switched to an itech8k (with limiters 1000 rms, 2000 pk) and the growlers came alive. 

It is an absolute difference you have to hear to appreciate.  It is NOT a minor difference.  Think back to when you first added a sub to your system... It pretty much like that. You will be adding a properly powered sub to your system and you will take notice.  The price difference isn't just because of marketing jargon or DSP features (and yes they are useful, especially the limiters, peak and rms).

My xti's are now on tops duty only, with sub presets saved in case of a dreaded amp snafu.

Good luck.
"I think it needs more barn"

Gary Creely

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2013, 09:05:21 am »

Good luck.

I would agree Xti (DSI,CDI as well) fall down on subs.

I am not certain about this, and I have not used one(xti6002), but my crown rep told me the xti6002 is different from the rest of the xti line. From what I understand the amplifier architecture resembles the itech more then the rest of the xti line. Although the price resemble the itech aswell.

Also the xti6002 is the only amp in the xti line that has similar power as the smallest itech.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 09:10:50 am by Gary Creely »

Yosi Melamed

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2013, 09:34:11 am »

At the risk of provoking the ire of the true gurus on the site I believe what youre hearing is a difference in the amps ability to control the speakers. One amp has a damping factor of >500 but the other has a damping factor of >5000. I believe that his is why one sounds so much better than the other. It's probably also a contributing factor as to why one amp costs twice what the other does.
Well, you did ask for it... You need to look at complete system damping factor. An amps damping factor spec doesn't matter that much!!

The reason i-Techs sound much better then the XTi is not only with the i-Tech being so good but also with the XTi being pretty bad at sub duty. Don't get me wrong I really like Crown products but the XTi on just wasn't cut for sub duty.
Don't bring up facts that can ruin our good argument.

Crown i-Tech 8000
Allen & Heath ZED60-14FX
4 X Cerwin Vega ProStax PS-12 II
1 X Cerwin Vega Sub 15
1 X Rolls RS-80 Tuner
1 X MaxxBass 101
1 X Weekend warrior

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2013, 10:48:01 am »

I would agree Xti (DSI,CDI as well) fall down on subs.

I am not certain about this, and I have not used one(xti6002), but my crown rep told me the xti6002 is different from the rest of the xti line. From what I understand the amplifier architecture resembles the itech more then the rest of the xti line. Although the price resemble the itech aswell.

Also the xti6002 is the only amp in the xti line that has similar power as the smallest itech.

As the original XTi amps are no long made, I think it's important to consider what the rep said: the *002 amps _are_ different from the original models.  IMHO they perform much better on subs and have a better thought out DSP feature set.

We own around 60 I-Techs, 16 XTI6002 and 12 XTI4000.  The 6002 sound different than the 4000 (when set for the same gain and not operated into clip) on subs, a difference that I characterize as "better".  We use the  6002 for our KF850 and "pSeudo4" rigs ("B" stages and side fills) and have received ZERO negative comments about the performance of the XTI6002 in any pass band.

Regarding pricing:  in business you need the ability to move quickly when a strategic purchase opportunity comes along.  Don't buy on credit foolishly, but be prepared to move fast when significant savings can be realized.  We purchased our 6002 with rebates and a sale price from our dealer that was coupled with a quantity discount...  we saved a bundle.  Our I-Techs were all purchased 'less than brand new.'  We purchased the extended warranty from Crown when it was available (right when they introduced the HD models) for "certified pre-owned" models, and purchased refurbs from major sound companies when they spun off thousands of amps a couple of years ago.  I can't say what we paid, on average, but it was a much better number than is often discussed.

We live in a time when many good amplifiers are being build by multiple firms:  Crown, QSC, Lab Gruppen, others; used gear is plentiful and at decent pricing.  It's good to be in audio these days.  :D
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 10:58:24 am by Tim McCulloch »
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

Stuart Pendleton

• Colonial Yorktown, VA
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2013, 10:55:12 am »

I own IT6000 as well as a number of XTI amps. the XTI4000 is not great on subs, but I regularly use an XTI6000 and have no concerns. It is not the same as my IT6000 on subs, but it didn't cost nearly as much either. It is not night and day between those amps. There is a difference, but not nearly as much as between an IT and an XTI4000 or less.

Dustin Campbell

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2013, 01:38:38 pm »

This is exactly the reason I started this post - There are some decent deals on i-techs on ebay from time to time and I think the perfect match for the JBL SRX series would be I-tech 4000 for the 725's and an       I-tech 6000 for the 728's. It seems for live sound I need to get the most out of my system to keep with space limitations in transport and stage area's (some can be pretty cramped) and instead of just adding more subs & tops. I want to power these speakers to the best of their ability. I realize you get what you pay for and bring enough rig for the gig, it seems the only reason not to go this route would be budget, which I would rather save and get the right power amps instead of something that will just work. This is good information. I do not want to apologize for my equipment purchases because budget determined my choice originally, hence the bridge mono of the PLX3002 and RMX2450 which are great amps for what they were designed for, I just think I am asking to much from them.
Banning CA,

Yosi Melamed

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2013, 02:02:33 pm »

As the original XTi amps are no long made, I think it's important to consider what the rep said: the *002 amps _are_ different from the original models.  IMHO they perform much better on subs and have a better thought out DSP feature set.
Yes the XTi600X is class H topology while the rest of the series are class AB+B so yes it's very different. Other then that I always considered the amp section and power supply of the two series to be identical except for minor fixes they learned buy manufacturing the older X000 series. I agree the DSP is different, it has a much better limiter both sound wise (no more shattered glass) and feature set, a few other not so significant features (different design, fan control, more presets...) but that's about it.
Don't bring up facts that can ruin our good argument.

Crown i-Tech 8000
Allen & Heath ZED60-14FX
4 X Cerwin Vega ProStax PS-12 II
1 X Cerwin Vega Sub 15
1 X Rolls RS-80 Tuner
1 X MaxxBass 101
1 X Weekend warrior

Josh Billings

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2013, 03:33:40 pm »

I think the XTI6000 vs the I-Tech 4000 is a close comparison right?

I really want to get new sub amps, but hesitant to get the old I-Techs (Crown charging through the nose for repairs or just not supporting them anymore). The new Macro Techs look nice since I already have all the processing in the UX3600, but If i can save some decent money and get pretty much the same thing with the XTI I might go that route.

Josh

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2013, 03:33:40 pm »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 23 queries.