ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: IEM, digital, WTF - rant  (Read 18931 times)

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
Re: IEM, digital, WTF - rant
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2013, 10:25:00 AM »

Recently I have been encountering another case of "a little information applied wrong".

Everyone has heard about the benefits of tilting guitar amps because of their beaminess. Guess what. It doesn't help the FOH mix if you tilt the amp so the beam is directly at a vocal mic.
Jay Barracato

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2013, 11:57:43 AM »

Bob, its OK... I bring out my wedges for the bar bands.  But I am using a digital mixer (01V96 if I cut the band down to 12 inputs).

But the band I am working for on the the upcoming gig brings in the their own IEM system with a split snake.

So how big is the venue?
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Evan Hunter

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2013, 01:30:51 PM »

I have been pleased with bands that are using IEMs semi properly to properly in smaller venues. To me it keeps the stage volume that much lower and is much less for the crappy in house PA to compete with regardless of analog or digital consoles.
Evan F. Hunter
Cleveland Ohio, Houston Texas
EFHunter4419 (at) G Mail. Com
https://www.facebook.com/FosterSound
EV QRX, JBL SRX, Turbosound Milan, Soundcraft Expression, Soundcraft Vi1

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2013, 01:51:40 PM »

I'm afraid I can't see anything negative about the use of IEMs or Digital boards.  My role mixing FOH would be much easier if every band used IEMs!

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2013, 02:32:19 PM »

If the muso's can do their own IEM mix from the stage with their own rig what's the harm? Who are they going to complain to then about the monitors?

Just part of the GAS (gear acquisition syndrome), where they want to believe buying more gear makes them play better.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
IEM, digital, WTF - rant
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2013, 02:50:21 PM »

They can be used badly, and I'm sure there are situations where small club bands have invested some real money and are better off with wedges. I'm sure Bob encountered just such a situation before writing this.

That said, some very effective IEM rigs have come through the club I'm at. All the well working ones have been split systems. Interestingly, they've nearly all been analog. This is hardly national sample of course, but interesting. Had more than one APB mon desk with PSM900 rigs come through.

Brian Elstro

• Richmond, IN
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2013, 04:18:40 PM »

So how big is the venue?

The 250 cap venue I'm HE in I've had the requirement of both wedges and IEM.... it makes no sense to me at all (unless using a click).
"can you make them sing better?"

Matt Vivlamore

• Lab Lounge
  • Southern Maryland
    • https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2013, 04:42:16 PM »

So how big is the venue?

The band plays in the small to medium size bars.

I am working with the band in a 150 person cap room; the venue will open all the windows and allow it to spill onto the deck which is about 20'-50' in depth around the building.
We're based in Southern Maryland, and LIKE us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/

gordonmcgregor

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2013, 05:15:16 PM »

Bob I agree that bands do buy stuff that they have no idea how to use just because they are told it's better etc.  However I had a gig a few weeks ago where a small digital desk and 13 IEMs made the gig possible, there was literally no space for wedges on the stage and the FOH space was too small for a full size analogue desk, in fact it was too small period. The engineer did a great job of mixing the whole thing IEMs and house on a console he had never seen before, so as others have said it's not the gear but the muppet at the controls. G

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2013, 05:16:26 PM »

The band plays in the small to medium size bars.

I am working with the band in a 150 person cap room; the venue will open all the windows and allow it to spill onto the deck which is about 20'-50' in depth around the building.

That sounds like a difficult mix Matt and I see IEMs might work well. (Hey, Mix Matt!!)

Now, for what it's worth. I fully embrace the use of IEMs and digital mixers. For my own use I prefer a good 12" or 15" monitor properly EQ'd, and many people prefer both IEMs and monitors.

I'll also point out that my opening statement has to do with bottom feeders, not qualified BE's or providers such as the people responding here. In the world of introductory sound I'm hoping that people who know better might pass it along to those who don't that it's OK to use an analog board and monitors when you first start out. A time for everything, everything in time.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2013, 05:16:26 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 24 queries.