ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: New LABS being born  (Read 19330 times)

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Posting Rules
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2013, 12:51:08 PM »

Hi, I am new to the forum

Please go to your profile and change the "Name" field to your real first and last name as required by the posting rules displayed in the header at the top of the section, and in the Site Rules and Suggestions in the Forum Announcements section, and on the registration page when you registered.

Mac

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
Re: New LABS being born
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2013, 02:15:26 PM »

Hi, I am new to the forum and am in the process of building four Labhorns. I have a question about the flare section and was wondering if this was the right section to ask.

Thanks, John
John,

Right forum to ask questions about the Labhorn, but you should ask questions in your own post rather than hoping they will be answered in this  "New LABS being born" thread.

John Diego

Re: Posting Rules
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2013, 02:17:18 PM »

Please go to your profile and change the "Name" field to your real first and last name as required by the posting rules displayed in the header at the top of the section, and in the Site Rules and Suggestions in the Forum Announcements section, and on the registration page when you registered.

Mac

Sorry, about that. I am very bad at reading all the rules. I hope someone can help with a design change of the flare section of the labhorn subwoofer.

John

Kristopher Cox

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2013, 03:13:14 PM »

:-X
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 07:17:09 PM by Kristopher Cox »
Thinking in 3D puts a different perspective on things.

John Diego

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2013, 03:40:18 PM »

My thinking was a flare section with the PVC added like this.

I had a thought to build the flares in one piece of wood and have the drivers at a slight angle to each other rather than fires straight at each other. It will make the inner module a much easier build. I'm just hoping to get some thoughts on it. I would think it would work quite well....

John

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2013, 07:24:36 PM »

My thinking was a flare section with the PVC added like this.
With ports of that size and depth the drivers would be nearly completely unloaded in the pass band, and virtually no usable sound would exit the throat area.

Hope that is some just some good photo manipulation, or you will be picking pieces of the cone out of the box first time you try to get any output  :'(.

Kristopher Cox

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2013, 04:00:26 PM »

Ahh - now I see what you were thinking - I didn't have the caps inserted - this will extend the "SEALED" rear baffle area further into the flare - slightly increasing the compression and causing a higher rate of incline to the flare angle.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 07:17:22 PM by Kristopher Cox »

Marjan Milosevic

• MM-acoustics
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2013, 05:23:16 PM »

What exactly you think you are going to achieve with this? Lab 12 driver has a very lose suspension and the back and front chamber were designed to prevent it from over excursion. With this you are enlarging the back chamber that will reduce the loading on the back of the driver. Meaning it will hit x-max much sooner then normal.

Kristopher Cox

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2013, 07:19:08 PM »

I was trying to get the cabinet into closer specs to the design.  My thought was that if the driver is in a baffle volume that is too tight - it would take more power to get the same performance from the sub vs. a volume that is spec'd for the driver.  Better use of power is less thermal build up - better long term SPL - reducing the chance of burning up voice coils.

"With this you are enlarging the back chamber that will reduce the loading on the back of the driver. Meaning it will hit x-max much sooner then normal."

What it sounds like you are saying is that I would get to XMAX with less power.  Same cone movement = more efficiency?

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2013, 09:12:54 PM »

I was trying to get the cabinet into closer specs to the design.  My thought was that if the driver is in a baffle volume that is too tight - it would take more power to get the same performance from the sub vs. a volume that is spec'd for the driver.  Better use of power is less thermal build up - better long term SPL - reducing the chance of burning up voice coils.

"With this you are enlarging the back chamber that will reduce the loading on the back of the driver. Meaning it will hit x-max much sooner then normal."

What it sounds like you are saying is that I would get to XMAX with less power.  Same cone movement = more efficiency?
This is a HORN-NOT a ported or IB cabinet.  The same "rules" do not apply.

What you have done is change the two most important aspects of a horn sub-the back volume and the first part of the horn.

Your results are going to be different.  Have you modeled your changes vs the original design?

That should be a FIRST step-rather than second guessing the design.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 09:15:19 PM by Ivan Beaver »
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2013, 09:12:54 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 25 queries.