ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 6th order bandpass  (Read 5477 times)

dave celko

6th order bandpass
« on: August 19, 2013, 05:53:10 PM »

the vendor ive been purchasing my alpines from on ebay contacted me to tell me he had a couple left and asked if i wanted them at a discounted price so i snagged up 4 more for 80$'s each shipped

as some of u know i already built 8 microwreckers , and they cover even my largest dj gigs. so i could build 4 more but honestly that would be super overkill as if im not on overkill already lol

i was going to keep the drivers as backups if i ever blew one in the microwreckers but then i decided i wanted to try comming up with 4 cabs to use a fixed install and save the micros for my larger gigs

i really liked the idea of some 6th order bandpass boxes tuned at 35hz on the low end and 80hz on the high end
so far ive goten a max spl of 130db@35hz and 134db@80hz but with a huge dip between the tuning points,i can fix that by bringing the tuning points closer together but then the range of the box becomes to limited to really be usefull

do u guys have any tricks for making a 6th order enclosure flatter between the 2 tunning points or is this just the nature of a 6th order bandpass design

i did play with a vented box as well @ 8cuft tuned to 35hz its almost dead flat from 33hz to 80hz which is just about perfect the problem is spl wise ( 120db max) which is about identical to the micro wreckers just without the low end extension
each added cab + double the power is +3 db? or was it +6?

my goal here is to come up with something for the drivers i already own that play as loud as possible from 30-80hz

any ideas or tips u guys care to share?

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
Re: 6th order bandpass
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 10:11:19 AM »

each added cab + double the power is +3 db? or was it +6?
+6 dB, 3 dB from doubling power, 3 dB from doubling cone area.

The lower any reflex/ TH/ TQWP etc. is tuned, the less sensitive it will be.

Since the tuning frequencies are fairly narrow, hard to get the two "booms" in a sixth order BP much wider than an octave without a hole in the middle.

Harder yet to get a sixth order BP to sound similar at different drive levels and to sound "punchy", phase change is too rapid in the upper BP to match the top cabinets.

dave celko

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 09:26:07 PM »

+6 dB, 3 dB from doubling power, 3 dB from doubling cone area.

The lower any reflex/ TH/ TQWP etc. is tuned, the less sensitive it will be.

Since the tuning frequencies are fairly narrow, hard to get the two "booms" in a sixth order BP much wider than an octave without a hole in the middle.

Harder yet to get a sixth order BP to sound similar at different drive levels and to sound "punchy", phase change is too rapid in the upper BP to match the top cabinets.

thank u ,so i take it 6th order bp cab is not the way i should go with them

heres something one of the guys on the avs forums came up with real fast

frequency response 1w1m 2pi space

4 cab responce

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 09:26:07 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 25 queries.