ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Digital Snake that is hissing (need to eliminate)- Behringer S16  (Read 24093 times)

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: Digital Snake that is hissing (need to eliminate)- Behringer S16
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2013, 12:09:00 PM »

It definitely seems like a complicated and expensive solution to whatever the problem was. I will say that, as someone who regularly deals with a 16x4x100 analog snake, being able to run a single cat5 from the stage to FOH to handle all the audio sounds really appealing

Really? 16x4 100'? As someone who generally is running a 48pr + 16pr return + 12/4 FOH power 300'-450' I can see the charm of digital snakes, and I use them when I can.

By the time you mount those boxes they aren't going to weigh less, and they are a lot more complex and have way more points of failure than a 24pr analog snake wired as 16x8.

Before the onset of digital consoles there were digital snakes. The one I used most was the Otari Lightwinder. It was a 48x16 digital snake with a 12RU box at each end. The  FOH end broke out in 4 16pr fanouts, and the connection was fiber. A digital snake used with an analog console that does not break out in fanouts at FOH just seems silly.

Mac

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
Digital Snake that is hissing (need to eliminate)- Behringer S16
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2013, 01:41:53 PM »

Maybe he meant the digital sounded expensive and complicated?

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2013, 02:27:29 PM »

Maybe he meant the digital sounded expensive and complicated?
Yeah I was refering to using the s16 digital snake with an analog board as being expensive(2x$900 stage boxes+ADA8000+proper ethernet cable) and complicated. As you mentioned the weight savings isn't as much as I was thinking, but it does sound nice to be able to roll out a relatively thin ethernet cable as opposed to a multicore snake(even a 20 pair like mine). The main reason I'll be upgrading(in the probably distant future) will be if/when we need a higher channel count than our 16ch board and snake. We were thinking about upgrading our snake a while back to a 24x8(or 16x8 or 24x4) because we could use more returns(for more monitor mixes), but we decided against it because the next step as far as mixers go is digital(and most likely a digital snake).

Really? 16x4 100'? As someone who generally is running a 48pr + 16pr return + 12/4 FOH power 300'-450' I can see the charm of digital snakes, and I use them when I can.

By the time you mount those boxes they aren't going to weigh less, and they are a lot more complex and have way more points of failure than a 24pr analog snake wired as 16x8.

Before the onset of digital consoles there were digital snakes. The one I used most was the Otari Lightwinder. It was a 48x16 digital snake with a 12RU box at each end. The  FOH end broke out in 4 16pr fanouts, and the connection was fiber. A digital snake used with an analog console that does not break out in fanouts at FOH just seems silly.

Mac

Mac, I'm sure that with the number of channels and distance's you need to run you can appreciate digital audio way more that I can; none of the equipment I've used comes close to what you(and many other people on this forum) use on a regular basis.

Dave Cox

« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2019, 05:12:55 PM »

I know this thread is ancient, but the right guys were here then and hopefully now too!

Having bought an S32 for one of our X32 desks, I decided to try my two S16s and an ADA8000 that had been knocking around for a few years to set up the proverbial digital snake for small analogue mixers.

I set up just as it said with FOH S16 set to Master / ST2 + ADA8000. It worked but masses of hissss as if I was amplifying very little gain.

Although I could appear to adjust the gain with the master at FOH, it didn't actually change anything. The gains were not available on the stage unit working as a slave. After a lot of chopping and changing and fiddling I set the stage S16 to 'Master' and the FOH S16 + ADA8000 to standard or something else anyway.

With the STAGE S16 set to master it showed Gains on -2.5 so swung them all up to 27.5, and (wow!) MASSIVE perfectly CLEAN sound, returns worked fine too, testing with just main outs from ancient mixer to a couple of HK powered cabs.

Of course Gains / Phantom power etc can only be adjusted at the stage end. SO...
...what have I done wrong please guys!

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber