ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Digital Snake that is hissing (need to eliminate)- Behringer S16  (Read 24092 times)

Shane Salmon

Greetings,

I am trying to install a Behringer digital snake (S16) to use with an Allen and Heath analog board. I am experiencing a hissing sound from the S16 that I cannot eliminate. At first I thought it may be due to the fact that I am using CAT5 cable that is unshielded but even when I connect the S16 directly to the mixer I still get a hiss. I have tried adjusting the gain on both the mixer and the S16 but to no avail. I have also ruled out that it was the board due to the fact that we are currently using the board with our old snake and there is no hissing. Any suggestions?

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Posting Rules
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 05:18:04 PM »

Any suggestions?

Please go to your profile and change the "Name" field to your real first and last name as required by the posting rules displayed in the header at the top of the section, and in the Site Rules and Suggestions in the Forum Announcements section, and on the registration page when you registered.

Mac

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
Digital Snake that is hissing (need to eliminate)- Behringer S16
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 11:08:25 PM »

How are you connecting this?

Analog desks in general don't have connections for digital snakes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: Digital Snake that is hissing (need to eliminate)- Behringer S16
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 11:28:02 PM »

Greetings,

I am trying to install a Behringer digital snake (S16) to use with an Allen and Heath analog board. I am experiencing a hissing sound from the S16 that I cannot eliminate. At first I thought it may be due to the fact that I am using CAT5 cable that is unshielded but even when I connect the S16 directly to the mixer I still get a hiss. I have tried adjusting the gain on both the mixer and the S16 but to no avail. I have also ruled out that it was the board due to the fact that we are currently using the board with our old snake and there is no hissing. Any suggestions?

Leaving aside the hiss, how did actual audio sound through the snake?

It seems from your description that there is too much gain somewhere which is bringing up the noise level of the S-16. how are the mic pres set in the S-16? How are the inputs set and wired on your analog mixer?

Without more info there is no way to know for sure where the noise is coming from.

Mac

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 12:44:25 AM »

Speculation....

If you had gains on a digital snake set extremely low, and the majority of your gain after the snake on the analog desk, your signal to noise ratio from the A/D section could be very bad. For example, if your digital inputs on the snake were averaging -60, and a ton of gain was added on the A&H. The signal would be surprisingly close to the noise floor and then gained up. This would be bad. Get most of your gain from the snake.

That said... How ARE you connecting the S16 to your analog desk? I don't know much about that snake, but I am confused. It seems to be analog in, AES50 digital out.

Jason Lucas

• Hillsboro, OR, USA
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 02:30:51 AM »

Speculation....

If you had gains on a digital snake set extremely low, and the majority of your gain after the snake on the analog desk, your signal to noise ratio from the A/D section could be very bad. For example, if your digital inputs on the snake were averaging -60, and a ton of gain was added on the A&H. The signal would be surprisingly close to the noise floor and then gained up. This would be bad. Get most of your gain from the snake.

That said... How ARE you connecting the S16 to your analog desk? I don't know much about that snake, but I am confused. It seems to be analog in, AES50 digital out.

Yeah, I can see how he would do it with multiple snakes, one on stage receiving inputs and one at FOH outputting to the console, but even then you'd only be able to get 8 channels to the board...
There are three things I hate: Harsh highs, hollow mids, and woofy bass.

Sidney.Pilien

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 05:54:57 AM »

How are you connecting this?

Analog desks in general don't have connections for digital snakes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ADA8000 at the board side? If so, probably needs wordclock to the S16.
Sidney Pilien  

As Schultze would say "I know nutting!"

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2013, 10:01:27 AM »

Yeah, I can see how he would do it with multiple snakes, one on stage receiving inputs and one at FOH outputting to the console, but even then you'd only be able to get 8 channels to the board...

Hmmm... Wouldn't they need a x32 ass product to accomplish that routing?

I didn't think the ADA8000s had AES50. If not, I don't follow.

Shane Salmon

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2013, 10:20:49 AM »

Leaving aside the hiss, how did actual audio sound through the snake?

It seems from your description that there is too much gain somewhere which is bringing up the noise level of the S-16. how are the mic pres set in the S-16? How are the inputs set and wired on your analog mixer?

The actual audio sound is fine, comes through clear (no static) and the connection is good. I thought there was too much gain too, but even after turning the gain down on the individual channels on the S-16 there was no change. The gain on the board is no more than the usual that is used with the previous set up which has no hiss at all. I'm not sure if I completely understand how to find out the mic pres set in the S-16 (if it is the individual gain that is set on the S-16 it is -2.). The inputs that go into the board go through amps on the stage side and then through our house speakers and monitors.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 10:33:45 AM by Shane Salmon »

Shane Salmon

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2013, 10:39:07 AM »

ADA8000 at the board side? If so, probably needs wordclock to the S16.

Yes, I have an ADA8000 board side. It has already been synced with the S16, and we are getting sound through. Is wordclock any different?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2013, 10:39:07 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 22 queries.