ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Powered Lunch Box Mixer, need to buy one  (Read 14609 times)

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Powered Lunch Box Mixer, need to buy one
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2013, 07:56:05 PM »

Dick if you put a couple powered subs under the Ramsa's and run the subs off of one of the aux of the powered mixer or line out to a crossover you can have a very nice sounding system for small band jobs. Depending on the music but if the kick distorts the pre amp of the channel you have preamp distortion on that channel. I have used a lot of equipment in different ways to get the job done.   

So go ahead and adapt the kick mic to the line input......and/or get a mic with less output.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2013, 08:50:28 PM »

Dick if you put a couple powered subs under the Ramsa's and run the subs off of one of the aux of the powered mixer or line out to a crossover you can have a very nice sounding system for small band jobs. Depending on the music but if the kick distorts the pre amp of the channel you have preamp distortion on that channel. I have used a lot of equipment in different ways to get the job done.   

Perhaps if the one knob channel control does NOT both tweak the gain "and" adjust the feed to the mix bus, you could cream a fixed gain front end, but don't make such newbie design ASSumptions about mature very high volume (so big money) products.

Besides the attention to detail that such large selling products enjoy, the basic product has been revised numerous times over the decades with new version redesigns. If there was such an oversight, the design engineers would have a sore butt from taking all the service calls about even a low probability problem. The service guys take great pleasure from flogging us about design flaws, if they find one.

While I was managing the mixer design group, my most senior (best) engineer was responsible for the XR600 revisit and we were working on something like the 6th generation redesign since it was first released. That 6th upgrade was 15+ years ago. So the likelihood of finding a stupid mistake in one should be unlikely (while not my job these days). 

Do not underestimate the engineering inside some modest appearing products. It's harder to engineer a VW bug than a Maserati. While I can't vouch for all brands I expect most are probably OK. But like i said, avoid the low end entry level gear.   

JR

Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Brian Jones

• Modesto, CA
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2013, 09:33:51 PM »

My question is what powered mixer do you like, I need 8 channels, and I want a gain pot on each channel. About 400watts aside that can run 4ohms. I had an Allen and Heath that was great but it was heavy and I had a Phonix that I liked but it did not have the gain pots for each channel. I use these for a small set of Ramsa speakers at small events for speaking but I also use this system for my band with 2 speakers on sticks and 2 for monitors.
So my question is what do you like that is less than $1000.00?

My observation is that as features grow more abundant on powered mixers, so does the range of power output available. It is easier to use a system with power output matched to the speakers you're using, so I think that limits your options somewhat. Are you stacking other stuff on this? If not, have you considered an amp and desk mixer in a slant top rack? Even modest offerings I think would out perform the powered mixer equivalent.

One thing to note, and this is on the low end PVi 4B (to power some very low power Kustom (crap) monitors). I assumed the line out on these were pass through, but the master output level affects the output level of the line outs. I found this out when I tried to daisy chain a pair of them. Not sure how high up the food chain you need to go in Peavey powered mixers to get beyond this. I do understand you're probably looking at something with a mixer section more akin to a desk mixer than this little mixer.

Mike Reigh

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2013, 09:49:15 PM »

I think Soundcraft discontinued the Gigrack 1000, but we have a few of them and they're pretty handy.  If you can find one used, I'd go for it.

Tim Perry

• Utica-Rome NY
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2013, 12:26:04 AM »

I think Soundcraft discontinued the Gigrack 1000, but we have a few of them and they're pretty handy.  If you can find one used, I'd go for it.

I have one... it gets some use. Fan is a bit noisy in some circumstances.

Dennis Wiggins

« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2013, 12:13:58 PM »

I agree with Dick Rees concerning the Yamaha Stagpas systems.  I had the 300, hoping to cover some Square Dances, but was terribly disappointed with the sound (distorted), the speakers (BIG hole in the mid-range to make them sound "bassier", but unintelligeable), and the durability (easily overheated).

On a budget?  Get the Peavey XR 8600D, and a pair of the PR12s.

<edit>   BTW, this is what I am now using for Square Dance calling.  It sounds great driving a pair of Peavey Impulse 100s, and seems to be reliable.  Like the Yamaha Stagpas, do not bother trying to use the "effects".

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GTD-Audio-BM-224-500Watt-4-Channel-Audio-Powered-Mixer-/151038676404?pt=US_Live_Studio_Mixers&hash=item232a9b4db4#ht_1794wt_677

-Dennis
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 02:27:32 PM by Dennis Wiggins »

Robert Lunceford

« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2013, 08:11:51 PM »

I've known a few people who have had Carvin powered mixers. They have liked them and they have proven to be durable and sound good with a pretty good set of features. Made in the USA!

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/C1648P

Dave Dermont

• Forum Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • From The Great Pocono Northeast
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2013, 01:05:01 PM »

My question is what powered mixer do you like, I need 8 channels, and I want a gain pot on each channel. About 400watts aside that can run 4ohms. I had an Allen and Heath that was great but it was heavy and I had a Phonix that I liked but it did not have the gain pots for each channel. I use these for a small set of Ramsa speakers at small events for speaking but I also use this system for my band with 2 speakers on sticks and 2 for monitors.
So my question is what do you like that is less than $1000.00?

To get the kind of output you are looking for, I think you might need to move from the "Lunchbox" type to the "Powered Mixer" type of product. The top box units don't seem to have what you are looking for.

Along with everything already mentioned, I'd look at the Yamaha EMX stuff too.
Dave Dermont

Warning: Dates on calendar may be closer than they appear

Chris Whelan

« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2013, 07:31:26 PM »

My first PA system started with a Yorkville M810. Wish I never ended up selling it... Fits all your criteria!

http://www.long-mcquade.com/?page=products&ProductsID=64

Gus Housen

« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2013, 07:33:38 PM »

The XR1212 is a Console style mixer with the IPR amplifiers in it. Very flexible routing. The XR8600 doesn't have a trim but has a -20 db pad, additionally if you really want to put Kick in these you can buy or make a pad for it.
The Mackie mixers have the trim or gain knob but just don't have the balls the peavey box mixers do. I think the peaveys sound better and the pots are better quality.
The Behinger box mixers are Junk, with maybe the exception of the pmp2000, I purchased 4 long ago to replace a aging fleet of xr600c's, and exept the PMP2000 all broke.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2013, 07:33:38 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 24 queries.