ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: "Official" Infocomm 2013 thread  (Read 14051 times)

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
Re: "Official" Infocomm 2013 thread
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2013, 12:14:53 AM »

I can hear for miles and miles and miles.....

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Brandon Wright

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2013, 12:17:49 AM »

Hmmmm, a line array loaded into a single large horn.   Patiently Awaiting white paper.

Supposedly, there is no pattern overlap between the individual components. Supposedly, they each make up their own piece of the wavefront. I'm still not entirely convinced...  64 hf drivers, 10 ft of displacement, and no destructive interference???
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 12:47:17 AM by Brandon Wright »

duane massey

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2013, 12:42:25 AM »

I have built a pair of bass horns that were 10' tall, but they were certainly deeper and wider, and heavier, and not shippable.....
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2013, 07:40:03 AM »

Hmmmm, a line array loaded into a single large horn.   Patiently Awaiting white paper.
It is NOT a line array.  It produces a curved wavefront-so therefore does not have the varying freq response at different distances that a "line array/source" has.

It is basically the HF section of the Danley J4 loaded into an arrangement like the Danley J3 to make it full range.  A  large synergy horn.

I don't recall the specifics (it has been really crazy the last couple of weeks), but the low freq is in the 40 something range.  We will get more details soon.

The horn has to be large-because at the SPL's it can produce (north of 160dB),  you have to "protect" the people that would be below it.

And yes it is arrayable-if needed.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2013, 07:50:59 AM »

Supposedly, there is no pattern overlap between the individual components. Supposedly, they each make up their own piece of the wavefront. I'm still not entirely convinced...  64 hf drivers, 10 ft of displacement, and no destructive interference???
If you put pink noise into it-and move your head up and down-you cannot hear any swishy swishy or notches in the response.  It is a seamless source.

We did not use noise (just music-more fun to listen to :)) for the demos at Infocomm-but many hundreds of people did exactly that-moved their head up and down and nobody could hear any interference.

There was probably an average of 75 people per demo for 4 demos per day for 3 days and some "inbetween" and after hours demos.  They would line up and  listen as part of the demo.

You can stick you head as far into it as you want-and you never hear any interaction-of the drivers within a single band or between the different bands.  And that was with NO crossover-or processing of any kind.

I took the 1/8" jack from an Iphone and paralleled all the passbands.  The natural low pass filters in the Synergy horn and natural highpass of the sealed sections and the physical arrival of the signals did all the work to give a very hifi sound.

The whole idea is CONSTRUCTIVE-not destructive interference-as is so "popular" these days.

So you end up with greater-cleaner output-that does not "blow away in the wind" and sounds clearer at far distances.

Hearing is believing.

At the shop before we left for the show we were using the iphone as the power amp and listening at 150' (as far as we could get before the trees where it was setup on the back dock) and the level was just fine.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

paul bell

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2013, 09:07:37 AM »

Nice cabinet Ivan, thanks for sharing that with us. I look forward to one day experiencing them.

Moving back to INFOCOMM, was there anything else there? Pictures?

John Halliburton

• Still has hair and white pointy beard...
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2013, 10:03:39 AM »

Can't help but think that a "pair" of Calebs hanging from either side of a stage will be enough for a stadium concert-with subs on the ground of course, and the one huge benefit would be bringing stage roof construction down lower, making it so much safer outdoors.

Best regards,

John

Mike Hedden

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2013, 10:22:28 AM »

The Caleb is a large version of the Synergy Horn.  We've got a white paper on the website describing how it works and the patents have recently issued on Synergy Horn, Tapped Horn, Paraline, and Shaded Amplitude Lense.
Caleb is a 40x15 horn and the 15 degree vertical is maintained to a very low frequency.  As Ivan has already pointed out, there's zero interaction even with 108 drivers and the sensitivity is well north of 120dB.  It is primarily aimed at the 90-100K seat stadiums which thankfully we have several done or in progress. 
We've had audiophiles buy our products to use with their custom 1 watt tube amps, the Caleb sounds like an SH50 and will no doubt find a home in somebody's crazy dream system. I just hope they don't ask for a custom furniture finish!

Mike Hedden
Danley Sound Labs Inc.

Mike Hedden

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2013, 11:40:27 AM »

Nice cabinet Ivan, thanks for sharing that with us. I look forward to one day experiencing them.

Moving back to INFOCOMM, was there anything else there? Pictures?

The 4K video stuff was everywhere.  Panasonic has a 20" tablet that is so clear that its a bit disturbing.  It looks like you can grab the stuff!  Toa showed a new intelligent microphone that follows the listener which was pretty amazing.  During one of the breaks we had a drone/robot roll up with a nice girl from California on the screen showing a new video conferencing system.  She was driving around the floor talking to folks.  It was a little creepy!  I told her she needed to eat something as she was really aluminum pole skinny.  I also asked her if she could put a vacuum cleaner on and roll over to my house.  Virtual maid!

Mike
Danley Sound Labs, Inc.

duane massey

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2013, 08:03:07 PM »

Seeing the Danley stuff makes me wish I was 30 years younger and had the time/freedom to build/experiment with cabinets again. Very few (if any) companies seem to pursue the concept of "start with the speaker and get it right first" applications, as opposed to "just build a box, dump tons of power, and process the crap out of it" concept that seems to be the norm. Somebody get me a time machine...
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2013, 08:03:07 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 24 queries.