ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice on buying an oscilloscope  (Read 3259 times)

Merlijn van Veen

• www.merlijnvanveen.nl
Advice on buying an oscilloscope
« on: June 11, 2013, 08:35:11 AM »

I'm thinking of buying an 2 ch. oscilloscope for simple measurements like distortion and maybe some word clock signals. Apparently second hand analog models are considered more valuable as new cheap digital models or USB scopes. I'm willing to spend about 100 euros maybe a bit more up to 200 euros for a model with cursor readout. Currently I'm think about something like Tektronix 465, 2213, 2215, 2235 or 2246 the latter having cursor readout. However most of these model date back from early 80's to 90's. There are some comprehensive buying guides on Ebay, but I won't be able to repair, replace or refurbish myself. With capacitors being the most likely candidates to have worn out, will I still be able to calibrate such devices myself in order to get some meaningful measurements? There ain't no such things as a free lunch. Are my expectations reasonable at this price level?

Your thoughts and maybe alternative suggestions please?

Timo Beckman

• Rational Acoustics/Isemcon/Fulcrum Acoustic NL
    • Timo Beckman Geluid
Re: Advice on buying an oscilloscope
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 05:48:42 AM »

Maybe faber has an app for that

Jason Lavoie

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 10:28:54 PM »

I'm thinking of buying an 2 ch. oscilloscope for simple measurements like distortion and maybe some word clock signals. Apparently second hand analog models are considered more valuable as new cheap digital models or USB scopes. I'm willing to spend about 100 euros maybe a bit more up to 200 euros for a model with cursor readout. Currently I'm think about something like Tektronix 465, 2213, 2215, 2235 or 2246 the latter having cursor readout. However most of these model date back from early 80's to 90's. There are some comprehensive buying guides on Ebay, but I won't be able to repair, replace or refurbish myself. With capacitors being the most likely candidates to have worn out, will I still be able to calibrate such devices myself in order to get some meaningful measurements? There ain't no such things as a free lunch. Are my expectations reasonable at this price level?

Your thoughts and maybe alternative suggestions please?

At the voltages/frequencies that you're likely to be looking at I wouldn't worry about calibration. check it against a known source and verify it, but you don't need pro calibration.
same with the cursors. are you planning to make precise measurements or just take a look at the signal and verify that everything is OK?

Almost any scope that is functioning properly should cover your needs.. see if you can borrow one from someone and try it out.

Jason

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 10:28:54 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 24 queries.