ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using telos for live conference calls  (Read 2716 times)

Derrick McDonald

Using telos for live conference calls
« on: June 10, 2013, 10:31:08 PM »

Trying to tie in a Telos the Link unit into a Midas Venice... sending lav's out of an aux to the Telos and returning into a channel.  Is this setup possible with this unit, it's typically for RTS or Com?  Any thoughts?

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: Using telos for live conference calls
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 10:39:47 PM »

Trying to tie in a Telos the Link unit into a Midas Venice... sending lav's out of an aux to the Telos and returning into a channel.  Is this setup possible with this unit, it's typically for RTS or Com?  Any thoughts?

The XLR connectors on a Telos Link are for comm, but regular 4 wire I/O is available on the 9 pin connector. You need the 4 Wire adapter for the Telos.

Mac

Derrick McDonald

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 10:47:53 PM »

The XLR connectors on a Telos Link are for comm, but regular 4 wire I/O is available on the 9 pin connector. You need the 4 Wire adapter for the Telos.

Mac

Darn, figured.  What about a Gentner SPH 10?

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 10:52:53 PM »

I'm not familiar with the Gentner line, I've never liked them as much as Telos. The Telos One is the Telos hybrid you want.

Most times I've used a Gentner it has worked OK, but it is much harder to know what is going on inside with no meters or easy to use controls.

Mac

Tim Perry

• Utica-Rome NY
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 01:31:07 AM »

The SPH 10 is an analog unit. it was OK in its day, but digital units easily outperform it.

Due to it poorer "trans-hybrid loss"  more of the mic signal come through the system to the "caller out" reducing the overall quality of the mic signal. 

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 08:51:00 AM »

The SPH 10 is an analog unit. it was OK in its day, but digital units easily outperform it.

Due to it poorer "trans-hybrid loss"  more of the mic signal come through the system to the "caller out" reducing the overall quality of the mic signal.

Even the Telos One will have trouble completely eliminating return audio when crappy telephone lines are involved.  You can improve things by putting a ducker on the output of the hybrid, and keying it from the on-stage (or in the studio) microphones.  If you're not familiar with a ducker, it's similar to a comp, but it reduces the gain by a fixed amount, once the threshold is is exceeded on the external input.  Many digital consoles have them available in the dynamics section.  I'm using a pair of old Gain Brains on the outputs of two Telos Ones in a broadcast studio, and they work like a charm.

GTD

Derrick McDonald

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 01:50:26 PM »

I ended up using the SPH 10 today, not bad especially when I realized that no one on the other end of the phone line was gonna talk.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 01:50:26 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 22 queries.