ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ducking music during phone calls  (Read 1825 times)

Brett Keller

Ducking music during phone calls
« on: June 10, 2013, 08:55:10 pm »

I'm trying to help a small flower shop install a few ceiling mount speakers to play back low volume music. They receive a lot of phone orders and I think it would be nice for them if we could have the music automatically lower or mute when the phone rings and during calls. Are there any basic devices that perform this task? The only thing I can think of that's even close is the Rolls Audio Ducker, but I can't really think of how to integrate that with a phone line.

Thanks

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
Re: Ducking music during phone calls
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 09:01:09 pm »

I can imagine an interface that uses phone signal to duck another path.

If a standard POTS line you have a significant DC voltage to play with, but otherwise the line should be quiet when not engages and not quiet otherwise.

JR
When in doubt do what's right.

Hal Bissinger/COMSYSTEC

• COMSYSTEC
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 11:40:20 pm »

Well, that's certainly a new one. In all my years in this and the telecommunications business I've never had anybody suggest that and that's because it's never been a problem. Low volume music shouldn't interfere with telephone conversations.

If you really have to do this consider a handset recording adapter that goes in the handset cord of the phone and outputs the audio. Use that to trigger the Rolls.

-Hal

Brett Keller

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 12:12:09 am »

All of the online services that allow you to order flowers sub out all of their orders to independent brick and mortar flower shops like this one. Quite often these services need to call the shop for a variety of reasons. All of these services hire operators who are in other countries, often with poor call quality due the distance, and then the further issue that the operators are speaking english as a second language. Because the people at the flower shop are having a hard time understanding these calls, they end up turning the music all the way down and then they forget to turn it back up when the call is over because they've now been given an order to fill. Btw, I should mention that they are currently using a tiny pair of computer speakers to play music and still having this problem.

The handset recording adapter along with the ducker is a good idea. I'm not entirely sure if this is really worth doing for them or not, but at least now I know of a way to do it if I have to. Thanks for the idea.

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 07:10:22 am »

Because the people at the flower shop are having a hard time understanding these calls, they end up turning the music all the way down and then they forget to turn it back up when the call is over because they've now been given an order to fill. Btw, I should mention that they are currently using a tiny pair of computer speakers to play music and still having this problem.
This could be a factor in any solution as you need to identify where in the music signal chain the ducking would occur.

Another ducking option to the Rolls is http://www.rdlnet.com/product.php?page=24.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 07:10:22 am »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 22 queries.