ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: 2 horns is this possible?  (Read 11157 times)

paul bell

Re: 2 horns is this possible?
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2013, 12:26:01 PM »

I know that they don't sound good as they are peizo tweeters.
I just want to know whether they are able to get the dual horn problem solved due to their construction.

They did nothing. They just made them and however they sounded-good or bad-that was it.

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
2 horns is this possible?
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2013, 01:59:33 PM »

Suffice it to say, no one uses multiple horns "for redundancy" at all as far as I know. Get the right drivers and the right processing so they won't blow, don't drive then irresponsibly, and have spares around.

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2013, 11:34:44 AM »

Just because you CAN do something, doesn't mean you SHOULD.
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

Marjan Milosevic

• MM-acoustics
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2013, 04:43:34 PM »

Actually that second piezo horn has asymmetrical horn so should work.

chuck clark

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2013, 05:28:23 PM »

I just want to know whether they are able to get the dual horn problem solved due to their construction.

Actually peizo's sound great, they just aren't very loud (about 120 db max) and they have quickly diminishing response below 5Khz. (and limited power handling)
Note the flat divider between the 2 horns that allows the 2 exiting waves to couple in a planer way. Not gonna happen w/ round exit horns.
Also if you do not angle driver throats away from each other the horizontal dispersion of the 2-45 degree horns becomes 22.5 degrees in the horizontal plane. Better to have them couple in the vertical plane, which by the way is what a line array does.
D&B has dual drivers in some of their highly acclaimed boxes I think. But if you don't have a firm grip on the physics involved in the coupling and dispersion effects of multiple source arrays your opening a real can of worms. Good luck!
Chuck

Tom Young

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2013, 09:31:12 AM »

Actually peizo's sound great, they just aren't very loud (about 120 db max) and they have quickly diminishing response below 5Khz. (and limited power handling)

I beg to differ. There's no way that a piezo driver sounds anywhere close to how most well-designed dynamic/compression drivers sound.

Note the flat divider between the 2 horns that allows the 2 exiting waves to couple in a planer way. Not gonna happen w/ round exit horns.

You are not going to obtain a planar wave by making one of the sides flat and/or perpendicular. You are also not going to maintain any pattern control with such a small horn.

Also if you do not angle driver throats away from each other the horizontal dispersion of the 2-45 degree horns becomes 22.5 degrees in the horizontal plane.

Please explain how locating 1 driver next to another halves the coverage angle.

D&B has dual drivers in some of their highly acclaimed boxes I think.

Probably 50% of the multiband line array loudspeakers out there employ 2 or more compression drivers along with fairly elaborate waveguides to achieve the pattern they have determined will work best when added to other like devices in a linear array. There is no comparison between these and the dual-driver piezo devices on the market.

But if you don't have a firm grip on the physics involved in the coupling and dispersion effects of multiple source arrays your opening a real can of worms.

This is an understatement.
Tom Young
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
203-888-6217

Scott Helmke

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2013, 10:22:46 AM »

No, they have not solved the problem. Instead, they market speaker components to people who don't know any better.

A single source is always a better-sounding solution.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2013, 11:49:36 AM »

OP. Crapola like the dual horn assemblies above are manufactured for, and sold to, people who have no grasp of reality and are adamant in their stance that more is not only better, but more is best. The cheap plastic construction is a dead giveaway pertaining to the low quality construction.

A single quality compression driver mounted to a properly designed horn will simply toast any poorly designed plastic piezo  junk you'll find being mass marketed by Graingers.

Your plan might work if you run down to the basement workshop and whip out a couple of these waveguides.

Get the point???
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Elliot Thompson

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2013, 11:33:23 PM »

For $6.00 you cannot go wrong with Selenium horn. The material used is more towards rubbery-plastic. Bear in mind the threading is not metallic. The recommended driver is the Selenium D 220 TI. For what you are aiming for, one should be more than enough. Why do you feel you need two drivers when it appears you have not tried one as of yet?

Best Regards,

chuck clark

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2013, 01:04:03 PM »

I beg to differ.

Beg all you want, the laws of physics haven't changed for a long time. I didn't discover this stuff yesterday. piezos have less mass and better transient response and better high frequency response going out to 30 & 40 KHz. Compression drivers start rolling off around 3.5 KHz. Compression drivers simply go much louder, have higher power handling and greater voice coil excursion and thus can be crossed over much lower. If that equals "better" for you, Ok, but everything I have said is based in physics and facts-not opinions.
If you don't want to believe me, Ck out the mini-piezo line array in the old Community CSX-70 S2. A box  I once successfully did a hip hop show for 2000 people with. (On top of a dozen 18" subs crossed at about 100hz) Not quite as loud as I wanted but "Got R Done".  These facts were established about 20 yrs ago. You might call Bruce Howse over at Community and explain to him how ignorant he is about acoustic coupling.
Good Luck w/ That.   

« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 01:10:33 PM by Mac Kerr »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2013, 01:04:03 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.